Author Topic: Little setback today...  (Read 4447 times)

Offline AndyinCT

Little setback today...
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »
Ugh, not a good day.
I brought the bus to a heavy diesel shop (that I trust) to have them look over the front end.  It gets the death wobble above 65 occasionally.
But, he didn't fix it.  The reason he didn't fix it was because he said the rot to the frame was pretty bad.
Where the suspension meets the frame its getting thin.  The engine cradle is pretty rotten. 
Needless to say, I'm bummed out.
Whaddyathink?  Weld it up?  Scrap it?  Part it out? 
Sad day.
1989 MCI 96A3
6V92, 5speed manual

Offline 6805eagleguy

• Have you ever seen a sad person rolling coal?
Re: Little setback today...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
Here is my project thread.

http://eagles-international.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4786&sid=1e26ef64d91eeacdeea7d694ae516faf

Went from a little rust replacement to entirely replacing the skin and all tubing in the engine area, with the engine.  WWAI

If your in love with it, you can fix it, but might be cheaper to start over

1968 Eagle model 05
Series 60 and b500 functioning mid 2020

Located in sunny McCook Nebraska

https://eagles-international.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4786&sid=12ebf0fa56a6cbcf3bbaf1886a030a4e

Offline AndyinCT

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
Thanks eagleguy.  I'm not sure I want to go down that road.  I mean the total restoration road.  But at the same time, I'm into this thing for over $8000.  Not sure what to do. 
My fault for buying it sight unseen...
1989 MCI 96A3
6V92, 5speed manual

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 07:39:48 PM »
MCI's are a challenge to repair rust where on a Eagle with the frame you just keep cutting away till you find solid metal cannot do that on a MCI the way they are constructed, that is a bummer for anyone we feel for you 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
Ouch, that is bad. If Cliff says it is a hard fix, believe it. If you can, take some pictures of the bad areas with good lighting, maybe somebody who has been in a similar fix will have some suggestions. In the meantime, drive it slower on smooth roads. Buying a bus without checking it thoroughly is a gamble, but at least you have learned how to handle the transmission. Unfortunately, salvage metal prices are at low points lately. Your best bet might be in selling parts. It really looks like the previous owner took advantage of you.  :(
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline windtrader

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 11:24:57 PM »
It seems like the amount of resources, labor, time, and dollars, to get the bus mechanically sound makes you uncomfortable. If you choose not to take on the restoration and conversion project, you can consider several options.

Sell the bus. You'll likely not get what you paid if you disclose its condition. It is tough to sell a bus today and downward pricing pressure is immense.

Part it out. Mostly likely will take awhile and require your involvement for marketing and selling the parts. You may be lucky and get a fair return. For example, if the motor was recently rebuilt by a recognized rebuilder and fully documented, you should see grins in the mirror. However, the more likely scenario is a tough slog just to recapture some of your costs. The final act is hauling to a scrap yard to receive your final death benefit payout.

Charge forward with your project and undertake the issues know today and those discoveries exposed once the initial list is checked off. Lock up your guns and throw away the key so you remain sane and alive. lol

Good luck whichever path you choose.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 03:04:22 AM »
Second opinion time.

Mechanics are not body guys, truck guys aren't bus guys...

Take it to a place that does collision repairs to highway coaches for an evaluation.

Don't prime them or bias them with your tale of woe, just hand it over and say "I've been told this might need some structural repairs, what says you?"

And you will be expecting to pay for some shop time.

Do not waste their time, in and out.

Then you know where you are.

Right now, you don't.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 06:08:40 AM »
A second opinion  sure would not hurt but his guy has found the spots that send the MCI's to the bone yard ,he is going to find a lot of rust behind the siding on the front clip I am almost sure ,it is a shame the 96A is such a nice looking bus.All buses rust here is a Prevost that needs attention   

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 06:31:22 AM »
You might try to find another 96a that has spent its life in the south and keep yours for a parts coach if you have the room. I would get the next one with an automatic, as manuals are really hard to sell later when you move to a newer model.Unfortunately, too many go for the great selling price first. If anything, youll know now that more inspection is necessary before you buy. If you dont have the space for a parts vehicle, just bite the bullet and unload it for whatever the loss may be. Some of the structural repairs detailed here in the past are not for the faint of heart.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 07:06:03 AM »
Yep like the Kenny Rogers song "you got know when to hold and when to fold" most people hang on then fold after spending a lot of money and time

Offline AndyinCT

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 08:01:18 AM »
Thanks guys, for all the thoughtful replies.  I may just go get another opinion.  I don't mind fixing it - I'm handy with a welder.  I also don't need it to be perfect just structurally sound.  He said the middle part of the framework is good it's just the very front and back that are soft.  I'm so bummed!  I don't have the money to get another bus and start over and I also can't afford to scrap this thing and think I'm getting another any time soon.
It's unfortunate but I'm exploring the option of repairing it.
1989 MCI 96A3
6V92, 5speed manual

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »
Good luck, remember to block the MCI in the middle,front and rear perfectly level before you start cutting or you will have a mess on your hands

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
This situation brings into play something called "The Sunk Cost Fallacy".  The basic meaning is that one should not consider past expenditures in deciding future expenditures.  The past money is gone and never coming back, so you should only look at the value of future options.  It is pretty common for us to think the other way though. It's what my father used to call, "throwing good money after bad."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

Anyway, you really do need a second opinion from a qualified source to make the best decision.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
  I don't mind fixing it - I'm handy with a welder.  I also don't need it to be perfect just structurally sound.

Welding skills may be your salvation, just make sure you fully understand how the structure is laid out. You are not the first person to find rust in a bus, just don't spend more than a decade fixing it (because some people have).  :o
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal