Author Topic: Removing lug nuts (without breaking them)  (Read 4051 times)

Offline chessie4905

Re: Removing lug nuts (without breaking them)
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
Sometimes this can happen to auto lugnuts. Did for me last fall. Aluminum GM wheel with recessed stud holes. Had those lugnuts with the thin stainless steel caps on them. First the shell came off, then using slightly smaller sockets driven over the stub with a 2 lb hammer, couple of different nut removers, then bought this set and it finally came off.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline benherman1

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2020, 05:18:10 AM »
I managed to snap another one... This time the wrench was nice and straight. It just made a big crack and let loose.
At least I have a plan this time. After that there's only one more to go
1964 MC5A - 5289 - Bloomington IN

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2020, 05:50:24 AM »
Looking at what i can see of that wheel, if it was me i would bite the bullet and buy all new steel wheels, studs, and nuts and then never ever let anyone use an air gun when putting tires on. 
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline benherman1

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2020, 10:00:51 AM »
Looking at what i can see of that wheel, if it was me i would bite the bullet and buy all new steel wheels, studs, and nuts and then never ever let anyone use an air gun when putting tires on. 

Somebody definitely had some fun putting them on. I did the math on what kind of force I had on it when it snapped and its somewhere in the mid 2000 ft lbs territory. I managed to get two more loose a few minutes earlier with that and some heat. At first I figured they must just be rusty but once I brake them loose then are finger loose after half a turn.

I'd love to replace them someday but for now that's considerably out of my price range. Since I've been cooking the paint a bit I might clean them up and paint before I put it back together. I've driven it less than 40 miles since I bought it so I'll want to drive around some and find out if anything is going to ruin my day before I start buying the nicer upgrades. Once I get the airbag replaced and some new fluids in it the next plan is to surprise my parents by showing up with it.

Offline benherman1

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
Got this one too. One more to go after work and the wheel is off. Hopefully its one of the easy ones...

Working from home is pretty nice when you can spend your lunch break working on the bus.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2020, 10:08:01 AM »
You know to go really light with the paint at the mating surfaces for the fasteners?

Too much paint allows the fasteners to be tightened up, then the paint squeezes, and the fasteners are now loose.

One of the things that came out of the government research into wheel-offs back in the 90's.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline benherman1

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2020, 10:19:38 AM »
You know to go really light with the paint at the mating surfaces for the fasteners?

Too much paint allows the fasteners to be tightened up, then the paint squeezes, and the fasteners are now loose.

One of the things that came out of the government research into wheel-offs back in the 90's.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

I hadn't heard of that. In that case I'll probably just tape the mating surface before I start. I figured the torque would crush any paint out as it was tightened.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2020, 03:22:22 PM »
Check the backside of your wheels for cracks, found that both my front wheels had cracks that didn't show from the front. That plus the wear on the holes from being over torqued so many times convinced me to buy new wheels, even got one for the spare.....at the time they were $106 for a white painted wheel.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline benherman1

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2020, 07:37:58 PM »
Got the last one off and got started on replacing the bag. It took two rounds of heat before I could crack it loose but It came loose in one piece. Hopefully I'll have the new bag done tomorrow weather permitting.

Ed, I'll definitely clean them and have a close look. I'd rather not have an incident on the road.

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »
Rather than masking the holes (a PITA unless you can find the right plugs) you can try wiping off the paint from the seat with a solvent soaked rag. Might want to wear thick rubber gloves.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal