Author Topic: Time for a granite counter top?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline freds

• 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
Time for a granite counter top?
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
I just saw a very interesting video as I am changing the kitchen area in my bus in doing away with the propane stove for an all electric setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6C2VcQuxzM

Offline chessie4905

Re: Time for a granite counter top?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
Expect to drop a gear on every grade.😁
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:12:04 PM »
Slick salesmen hardly ever mention cost, but that is something I would like to hear about.  ::)
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline silversport

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 10:06:17 PM »
We have two portable induction burners that can be placed on top of the gas burner cover or be used on a table outside, I like options.
1962-GM-4106

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 06:00:08 AM »
We have two portable induction burners that can be placed on top of the gas burner cover or be used on a table outside, I like options.

Exactly. Flexibility. A traditional cooktop, and following that rigid thinking, violates the camper design rule of "more than one purpose.

Once your cooking surface is screwed down, the space above it is dedicated to cooking.

The one advantage to this discreet induction install, is that the space may more readily be used for other things, when not locked into cooking.

The more cooking you do inside the unit, the more smells you install...

Portable induction lets you cook anywhere in or around the unit, and is easily and cheaply replaced when it fails.

But if you need a granite counter top...

Go for it!

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 06:57:01 AM »
Here's an idea of prices of different tops. Course, labor can make a large difference if you do your own install. But compared to each other surface, you can get an idea.😁

https://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/kitchens/kitchen-countertop-prices
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:52:24 AM »
As slick as that induction setup is, I still prefer the old style gas burner. And I do mean old style. These days we have total idiots with brains the size of lizards designing gas burners. Used to be the jets were positioned to concentrate maximum heat under the pot. But the new 'modern' way is to put all the heat out around the edge of the pot where it can escape up the sides and scorch the waterline without ever causing a boil (unless it's on a blister). Where did these idiots come from, and what have they done with Grandma's stove? I just can't believe it. Didn't Anybody bother to look at the old designs? They had airflow up the center. They had flame jets all the way to the middle. Give me an old cast iron burner any day, those new flat center ones aren't worth having.

I don't know where I'm going to find a proper one these days, maybe it will have to be salvaged from a very old RV or trailer to be worth getting. Those weren't very powerful but at least they did work as they should.

As for usable surfaces, a fold down cover is dandy and tidies up the galley as well.

The granite though, I love granite near the range top because it is impervious to heat. It's great to have a surface that no matter how red hot the skillet got while you were off piddling around you can slide it off the stove without burning the place down. Or permanently damaging the decor. Makes a great table top too. For those two surfaces it doesn't add all that much weight. Maybe a hundred pounds or so, certainly less than one more passenger. The bus don't care. Might as well have what you want.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline richard5933

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
Our bus has a stainless steel well in the counter where the original two-burner electric coil cooktop was. Nice hinged cover to close when not in use.

I swapped that out for a portable induction cooker. Works well on 120v. I also have a portable propane single-burner that fits in that well. If we're going to be plugged in we'll leave the induction. If we're planning to dry camp, the induction goes in the closest and the portable propane goes in the stainless well. With the limited space available, it's nice to have multiple ways to use it.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 08:59:35 AM »
I have a 2 burner induction top that works off 110v the inverter has no problem running it.my CC was total electric and why the guy ordered it with a propane cook top it was dumb IMO it was a high end Gaggenau cook top that required 110v to work on propane  8) made no sense to me 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline windtrader

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
First impression last night - this is stupid. Got up this morning - this is stupid, whatever floats your boat. Dang things are cheap, get one and throw in the bay for portable outdoor use.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »
In my bus I have a 3 burner propane stove with oven. I've repeated in my truck. As much as I don't like propane, I have propane stove and furnace. I also have a propane tank solenoid that cuts off the gas when not in use or when a leak is detected. Propane is cheap (especially heating the bus-compared to Hydronic [overall]). If I changed to induction I'd have to buy all new pots and pans and throw out the aluminum. Besides, my kitchen countertop is Acacia. But a portable burner to use outside sounds feasible. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:25 AM »
I heard aluminum pots were linked to cancer in CA  :'( :'(,induction tops will use any thing a magnet will stick on
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:53 AM »
There goes my Revere ware.😡
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Jim Blackwood

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »
Maybe not. There is a difference between induction and magnetic. Any conductor will generate current if placed in a magnetic field, so I'd be right careful not to set your carbon fiber fly rod down on that induction burner. Check it out first. Those aluminum and stainless pans probably will work just fine. Glass or ceramic though? Nah, forget it.

But, I understand aluminum has also been linked to Old Timer's disease. It's really reactive stuff, probably not the best thing to have in your body.

I just like the immediacy of a gas flame. To me that's worth a little extra trouble.

Jim

Offline sledhead

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »
my coach was all electric when I got it but we do a lot of off grid camping and wanted a bbq and a 2 burner gas cook top so that is what I did and installed a quick disconnect for the bbq . removed the 2 burner electric cook to and sold it , the gas cook top fit right in the drop down section that the electric was in with a little modification . now we only run the genny if it is hot and want a/c
old 2 burner electric
 https://photos.app.goo.gl/xUm9A7H4JLgDRVTv9

new 2 burner gas
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fCiCLmJ51sXcEWsw7

bbq and convection oven for out side
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qMZTrmbFAjgyVBJMA

granite tops are not indestructible as they can fracture because of to much heat .

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
Be careful with cooking oil on granite. Left on too long and youll have a permanent stain. Also use a quality sealer, probably annually.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »
I used to live in the Granite State and I noticed that in nature when granite is heated and cooled over time it tends to crumble. That might not happen to polished granite easily, but I wonder if it could be stained or suffer crazing from all that cooking.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline Jim Blackwood

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 06:33:19 AM »
Well the key is to treat it like the fine finish that it is. Which means cleaning up messes and avoiding abuses. Accidents will happen of course but ignoring them is just asking for trouble. OTOH the stuff will take a lot of abuse and come out smiling so you really don't have to baby it so much. A hot pan isn't going to hurt it, but it is a good idea to avoid having any sharp corners on it anywhere. It can chip rather easily if it gets banged right on the corner with something hard. Also, the darker it is the less it'll show stains.

Jim

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 02:34:24 PM »
Having worked with Granite for years it is a natural stone. It has cracks, crazing, veins, etc. after it is polished and used in food areas it should be Sealed with a good silicon granite sealer at least once a year. If it has calcium build up around the facets, you can use a razor blade to scrape it off and then wash it (small steam cleaner is best) . Then seal it.
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal