Author Topic: Very Strange Battery Deal  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Very Strange Battery Deal
« on: July 01, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »
I have been using Group 31's for my MC5a.  I got these as reconditioned from Interstate 6 years ago.  Now one of them is not holding a full charge, so I was looking to replace just the one.  When I checked out Walmart's website they had a deal on AGM deep cycles-- 2 for $67 with free delivery.  After rubbing my eyes for several minutes I bought them.  The site claimed that they only had one set left.  I know that deep cycles are not ideal, but how could I pass this up?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/QTY-2-VMAX-MR137-120-AGM-Group-31-AGM-12V-Deep-Cycle-Battery-for-large-Pontoons-Marine/289314223

Amazon lists them for $289.99 each.  It's a good thing they only had one set left.  Otherwise I would have had to worry about buying extra!  I wonder if they will end up just canceling the order.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline luvrbus

Re: Very Strange Battery Deal
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »
Good deal Lin I use Walmart more than Amazon now they have better prices and selection on things I use
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 07:42:09 PM »
I notice that they only have one review, and it's a one star with no comment. These might fall into the too good to be true category. It looks like an off-brand possibly of low quality. Why would the price be so low, even at Walmart?  :o
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 07:49:51 PM »
Probably just very old stock those are companies and induvial selling there just like Amazon that is not the brand Walmart sells so you won't be taking it back to you local Walmart   

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 08:14:05 PM »
Well I bought a Victron Charge Controller for our bus solar system and it was what looked like a Walmart site. With a bunch of reviews etc. For $60.25 and it was $215.00 on Amazon. I thought no way and bought it three months ago. I turned it over to the FBI to check out because never received it even though when I contacted the email they had they sent me back a 5 to 7 days and when that didn't happen I asked for a refund and they told me it would come in 6 to 10 days, Again I waited and when it didn't come I found an address on my bank statement with a phone number so I called it. Heat & cooling company in IN which was real but they said nope we don't sell those and have heard that someone is using our address for a scam.
My bank investigated and that took another two weeks and they couldn't be sure and had given me the money back to my account then they took it back, LOL

So I gave it to the FBI and they told me that there is a lot of these fake businesses out there now and they look just like the site that it should be. One guy I told about it bought three because he thought it was real too. I felt bad I told him about it but he was ok with it.
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 08:29:05 PM »
Well I bought a Victron Charge Controller for our bus solar system and it was what looked like a Walmart site. With a bunch of reviews etc. For $60.25 and it was $215.00 on Amazon. I thought no way and bought it three months ago. I turned it over to the FBI to check out because never received it even though when I contacted the email they had they sent me back a 5 to 7 days and when that didn't happen I asked for a refund and they told me it would come in 6 to 10 days, Again I waited and when it didn't come I found an address on my bank statement with a phone number so I called it. Heat & cooling company in IN which was real but they said nope we don't sell those and have heard that someone is using our address for a scam.
My bank investigated and that took another two weeks and they couldn't be sure and had given me the money back to my account then they took it back, LOL

So I gave it to the FBI and they told me that there is a lot of these fake businesses out there now and they look just like the site that it should be. One guy I told about it bought three because he thought it was real too. I felt bad I told him about it but he was ok with it.

You get the same crap on Amazon and eBay,and never pay with a debit card only use a credit card   

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 10:55:32 PM »
I could be overly optimistic, but at $35 per battery, I had to try it.  They have a 4.5 star rating on Amazon.  It is the same vendor.  Anyway, I paid by credit card, so there is some safety net if they do not appear or arrive dead. Walmart still has that model battery for sale for around $280 from the same vendor also.  I guess I will find out what the catch is in a couple of weeks.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 06:57:10 AM »
Maybe you got lucky. A vendor may have old stock or needs some cash to stay in business. Who knows.
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/FAQ_ep_42.html

You could also try Aliexpress, the retail side of Allibaba. Sometimes their vendors have a free shipping offer. Course, shipping takes 30 or more days. I've purchased several items from them with satisfactory results. You can pay with Paypal, btw.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »
Lin, why do you want to use deep-cycle batteries as engine start batteries?   I'm also wondering how well they'll get charged by an alternator instead of by a proper three-stage charger.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 06:53:25 AM »
Just chiming in. We use 2 - 8D NAPA deep cycle/start batteries as they double for house batteries if needed. They're going on 6 years old & perform fine!
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 08:00:40 AM »
Only draw back to Lin using the small deep cycle batteries for starting on his MCI with the 24 volt system is the 2 batteries don't provide the CC amps needed for Delco 42 starter and it will cost him a starter later down the road but he can replace it with 39 Delco they don't mind the low cranking amps the Delco 39 is a marvel  I started my series 60 in the MCI with 2 lawn mower batteries before

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
John-- I didn't prefer to use deep cycle batteries, but I thought the price warranted giving them a try.

Clifford-- I did not know that they could cause starter problems.  I suppose I will try them out and see.  Generally, the bus starts quickly so we might not have a serious problem.  I will make sure to limit cranking in any case.

Chessie-- They have given me a delivery date of July 23, so you are right about long shipping times.  I think it is being sent by Amish Buggy Transport.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 02:34:24 PM »

You get the same crap on Amazon and eBay,and never pay with a debit card only use a credit card   

Was a credit card which even though my Bank issued it Visa paid me back and only buy through Amazon Prime because they cover any problems with outside venders. :)
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
I have 2 8D starting batteries that are deep cycle. 1500 cranking amps each. The engine normally starts with a half engine revolution. Previous owner was convinced to remove the engine alternator to free up horse power. Fortunately, the wires are all there, just taped off. I just need to find a new gear for my alternator. I already have a new cup gear.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »
Just got an email from Walmart saying something went wrong and they will not be able to deliver the order.  I've been robbed!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal