Author Topic: Lion Energy Lithium Batteries - A No-brainer  (Read 12126 times)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Lion Energy Lithium Batteries - A No-brainer
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »
This guy has been around for awhile and does many tests on  all kinds of solar and battery things and is very knowledgeable. He is telling all about both batteries. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRe9TWEEoI0
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »
Fire hazard depends on the lithium chemistry. LFP (LiFePo4) are more, actually very stable while lipo (lithium polymer) or Lithium-Ion do have greater risk of catching fire. There have been many houses burnt down when ebike batteries go wrong.

Ebike and electric Skateboard batteries are not the same as the Lion Energy Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.  They are a higher risk type of lithium that is much more likely to catch fire.   

That being said, if you watch this 12 minute video, you will realize that it very difficult to start a Lion Energy battery on fire.

https://youtu.be/psV4EJ4Wsak

If in doubt, use the BCM 15% discount and order one of these batteries by using the link at the beginning of this thread and order one of these batteries yourself and get out your 12 Gage and pop off a few shots. Plz share your video on here so the rest of us will not have to duplicate this experiment and use up our shells.  ;D

Now you know the rest of the story, you can feel free to take your bus on your next hunting trip.   :D
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »
What type does the Telsa use lol I have friend here in Scottsdale that is having his battery pack replaced you can buy a nice bus conversion for what that is costing him 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
The electric car batteries are made out of Prismatic cells.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
What type does the Telsa use lol I have friend here in Scottsdale that is having his battery pack replaced you can buy a nice bus conversion for what that is costing him

Elon has his own battery factory in Sparks, NV. I am suprised you are not an investor.  The guy I bought my Eagle from is.  Elon makes his own batteries but not sure what type they are.

A friend of mine owns a Tesla and loves it. He gave me a ride in it and it took off with such force I spilled my beer.  :D Great car. The interesting thing is the he retired in March and his plan was to drive across the U.S.  He told me the display in the car which is connected to satellites show him where all of the Tesla charging stations are and how many miles to get to them adn the charge he will have left when he arrives.  The charging stations are free to Tesla owners (some are run by generators in remote locations). 

He said he will have no problem traveling across the U.S. and finding charging stations. If he does have a problem finding a charging station, like if he starts traveling off the beaten path, he has the adaptors to quick charge his car at any RV park, or even any 120V outlet at a gas station, but that would take longer of course.

I am waiting for the Tesla bus to come out so too can travel across the country and get free power at his stations and ride in a bus and only hear the wind noise.  I will let you know when I get ready so you can give me a small cash infusion Cliff.  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
Elon has his own battery factory in Sparks, NV. I am suprised you are not an investor.  The guy I bought my Eagle from is.  Elon makes his own batteries but not sure what type they are.

A friend of mine owns a Tesla and loves it. He gave me a ride in it and it took off with such force I spilled my beer.  :D Great car. The interesting thing is the he retired in March and his plan was to drive across the U.S.  He told me the display in the car which is connected to satellites show him where all of the Tesla charging stations are and how many miles to get to them adn the charge he will have left when he arrives.  The charging stations are free to Tesla owners (some are run by generators in remote locations). 

He said he will have no problem traveling across the U.S. and finding charging stations. If he does have a problem finding a charging station, like if he starts traveling off the beaten path, he has the adaptors to quick charge his car at any RV park, or even any 120V outlet at a gas station, but that would take longer of course.

I am waiting for the Tesla bus to come out so too can travel across the country and get free power at his stations and ride in a bus and only hear the wind noise.  I will let you know when I get ready so you can give me a small cash infusion Cliff.  ;D

They are nice cars but close to 30k for a battery is out of my league ,his new pack is suppose to last a millions miles ,I don't know the price of the Telsa the dealer is large with about 150 new cars on the lot so you should be able to find what you looking for Gary   

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2020, 11:30:32 AM »
I have heard that lithium is a good option if you are bipolar.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline windtrader

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2020, 02:13:24 PM »

Ebike and electric Skateboard batteries are not the same as the Lion Energy Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.  They are a higher risk type of lithium that is much more likely to catch fire.   

That being said, if you watch this 12 minute video, you will realize that it very difficult to start a Lion Energy battery on fire.

https://youtu.be/psV4EJ4Wsak

If in doubt, use the BCM 15% discount and order one of these batteries by using the link at the beginning of this thread and order one of these batteries yourself and get out your 12 Gage and pop off a few shots. Plz share your video on here so the rest of us will not have to duplicate this experiment and use up our shells.  ;D

Now you know the rest of the story, you can feel free to take your bus on your next hunting trip.   :D
I just use ebike as an example. Of course you can use any kind of battery in any vehicle, bike, skateboard, car, or bus, etc.

I just installed 12kW of lithium Ion, yes OMG, my bus is going to burn and blow up. All the fear mongering is such BS. Any battery bank that is built properly and monitored so it will stay in range or shutdown is perfectly safe.

Tesla, BMW, and other auto manufactures use Lithium Ion batteries. The difference is these are very highly engineered battery systems to provide superior power and safety. Look at some of the teardown of these packs and you will be amazed at how much advanced technology is utilized. Here is a link, sorry Clifford, youtube video showing what is inside a BMW pack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyZ1dBaGQw
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
This guy has been around for awhile and does many tests on  all kinds of solar and battery things and is very knowledgeable. He is telling all about both batteries. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRe9TWEEoI0

I asked the head of Engineering at Lion Energy about some of the concerns that Will Prowse brought up and here is his respons so you will know more about the Lion Energy batteries and why they are not UL rated.

The UL listing does give consumers additional confidence in the safety of a product. However, I find that it hinders a company's ability to make continuous improvements in their products. For example, if we create an improved version of the BMS software, then we lose the UL listing if we upgrade the software. If a manufacturer of one of the components on the BMS goes out of business in China, then we lose the UL listing as soon as we buy that single tiny component from another supplier. In addition, it is very expensive to get a UL listing (usually over $100,000 to get tested and listed with UL). Most companies are forced to pass that cost along to their customers.

Also, I have read the testing spec for UL 2054 (this is the UL listing that the Battle Born battery has), and I'm very confident that our battery would pass if we submitted it for testing. It lists tests such as: drop test, overcharging test and various temperature extreme tests. All of which our BMS and cells are designed to handle.

When it comes to the terminal posts, I'm not really sure what Will's complaint is. They are designed the way they are to provide as much flexibility when connecting as possible. I hate that if I want to hook anything to a Battle Born battery I have to go down to Fastenal first to get some sort of connectors or adapters. If he's worried about them heating up too much, then I can assure you that we do repeated charge and discharge tests in our facility at max current and do not have problems with them overheating.

Our very first battery models (the old UT 1200s) had some issues with heat under extreme conditions that we were able to quickly identify and correct (something we would not have been able to do if we were worried about the UL listing).

Hopefully this helps.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2020, 07:22:17 AM »
I asked the head of Engineering at Lion Energy about some of the concerns that Will Prowse brought up and here is his respons so you will know more about the Lion Energy batteries and why they are not UL rated.

The UL listing does give consumers additional confidence in the safety of a product. However, I find that it hinders a company's ability to make continuous improvements in their products. For example, if we create an improved version of the BMS software, then we lose the UL listing if we upgrade the software. If a manufacturer of one of the components on the BMS goes out of business in China, then we lose the UL listing as soon as we buy that single tiny component from another supplier. In addition, it is very expensive to get a UL listing (usually over $100,000 to get tested and listed with UL). Most companies are forced to pass that cost along to their customers.

Also, I have read the testing spec for UL 2054 (this is the UL listing that the Battle Born battery has), and I'm very confident that our battery would pass if we submitted it for testing. It lists tests such as: drop test, overcharging test and various temperature extreme tests. All of which our BMS and cells are designed to handle.

When it comes to the terminal posts, I'm not really sure what Will's complaint is. They are designed the way they are to provide as much flexibility when connecting as possible. I hate that if I want to hook anything to a Battle Born battery I have to go down to Fastenal first to get some sort of connectors or adapters. If he's worried about them heating up too much, then I can assure you that we do repeated charge and discharge tests in our facility at max current and do not have problems with them overheating.

Our very first battery models (the old UT 1200s) had some issues with heat under extreme conditions that we were able to quickly identify and correct (something we would not have been able to do if we were worried about the UL listing).

Hopefully this helps.

UL testing is mostly for insurance reasons for product liability to cover their @$#,not really for the consumer.Walmart came up they wanted all fire hydrant's all UL when the price went to $3000.00 each they decided the $550.00 hydrants were ok ,    very same fire hydrant only with UL cast on the barrel same seats and every nut and bolt     

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »

Hopefully this helps.

In Will's Video he did say about the posts on both and the BB were real Strong because they were in Polymer and the other one was not. As far as needing special fastnel hardware and special adapters for BB is incorrect because all you need is a bolt and nut. There is a hole in the lugs for easy hookup?
He also mentioned that the cases of the BB was a lot thicker and were polymer and the other battery was plastic and thinner.
the only difference other than size was the weight of the BB was around 32LBs and the other around 25lbs. and the amps were lower in the Battle Born.
Interesting. I would like to see him do a test of all the store bought brands.

Also I am seeing a lot of DIY batteries being built now for Buses by owners that are coming out nicely at a much lower cost.
Looks like either of these batteries are pretty good if you have the money to put out.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2020, 10:09:02 PM »
 "I hate that if I want to hook anything to a Battle Born battery I have to go down to Fastenal first to get some sort of connectors or adapters"
From what I saw in Will's video the connector or adapter would be a 5/16 bolt and nut.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 06:57:05 AM »
Wasn't long ago the rage was Trojan golf cart batteries,then the gell then the Lifelline AGM batteries basically they all serve your need.I doubt any of the lifepo4 batteries are better than the others they all made with Chinese parts probably from the same manufacture in China.The cell towers uses a manufacture in CA I never heard of ,Marketing hype is a way of life Don's $1500.00 made bank serves him  that's all that is important.For me my system works since I don't depend on solar and never will on my roof I can run my Onan 12500 for $1.50 a hour,my Aqua Hot for bathing and heating for around $3.00 0r $4.00 a day in the winter  like they say different strokes for different folks.I have a 750 amp hour battery bank it serves us well in a total electric RV I installed  new 8-D Life Lines in Nov cost me under 3 grand and they have a 5 year warranty       

Offline windtrader

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »
I doubt any of the lifepo4 batteries are better than the others they all made with Chinese parts probably from the same manufacture in China.

Clifford,
Like nearly all products from China or anywhere, quality varies widely. Same with lithium batteries, especially if buying in the secondary market where the incredible deals are found today. Battery performance depends on where batteries came from, previously in service, new, never installed, reason rejected, etc.

Anybody going the DIY battery route better do plenty of homework and research or may find a pile of crap batteries on the doorstep.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline chuckdrum

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
Since I'm in the market to replace my 10 year-old AGMs, I've reviewed this thread and have been doing a fair bit of researching online.  Though it's certainly a financial benefit to use the BCM 15% coupon for the Lion batteries, there is precious little review info out there on that product.  The name pops up from the company itself, or dealers, Will's not-so-favorable review, and the loveyourRV guy who talks about the Lion vs lead, but not about how it and the prismatic technology compare to other brands that use the more common cylindrical cells.

When I look at the numerous "Best Lithium Ion Batteries" or "Best Deep Cycle" type lists from a variety of sources for the past year or two, NONE of them list a Lion product.  The Battle Born is on essentially every list, quite often at or near the top. 

With current pricing and the BCM coupon, the 100 amp Battle Born is $100/unit more than the Lion equivalent ($950 vs $850) but my leaning is to go w BB, as the reviews are consistently favorable.  Any further thoughts or links to look at before I click myself into debt for $3,800 (plus tax) instead of $3,400?
Chuck
1979 MCI 5C
Seattle, WA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal