Author Topic: Darn trees  (Read 239 times)

Offline David Anderson

• South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area
Darn trees
« on: September 16, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
I've had an affinity lately of smacking trees with my AC warts.  Grrr.
I got one yesterday that tore up the front AC cover into several pieces.  I lost a few pieces of it and had to do some fiberglass construction to cover the holes.  I'm not a great body work guy and did this pretty quick, but it looks ok from the ground.  The first picture is the inside of the cover showing how much fiberglass I had to add to cover all the damage.

Has anyone made some kind of metal sled similar to some of the John Deere tractors that might slide a limb over the top without damage? 

Offline Utahclaimjumper

Re: Darn trees
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:13:19 PM »

It won't take long for you to know where NOT to go..>>>Dan  ( Without looking up ) ::)
Utclmjmpr 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »
Dave I couldn't resist cause of your post title. 40 years after initial installation and those little trees that were now towering over the entry gates to our property decided to let go in a straight line wind & the gate it crunched was the active automatic opening one. They don't mfg. That style anymore around these parts so I stole parts off of other smaller ones on the property and got it fixed up like new just like your doing with your AC shroud. I saved $200 by fixing it but spent $300 for a tree man to make little trees of them again - oh & before I replaced it! Sorry for the thread drift.
Dan & Sandy
PD4104-129 since 1979

Online luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »
Use 2 coats of bedliner on the covers and they take a lot more punishment

Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline David Anderson

• South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »
It won't take long for you to know where NOT to go..>>>Dan  ( Without looking up ) ::)
I've been driving this rig for 20 years and have banged more limbs in the past 18 months than the previous 17 1/2 years.  The limbs around my neighborhood are getting lower and lower.   :-[

Offline richard5933

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 04:10:51 AM »
I've been driving this rig for 20 years and have banged more limbs in the past 18 months than the previous 17 1/2 years.  The limbs around my neighborhood are getting lower and lower.   :-[

Same here - it is a constant battle to keep branches up high enough around our driveway. When we moved here 20 years ago we could see all the way across the valley, about 5 miles. Now we can't even see the valley due to all the trees we planted when we first got here. I like the trees, but I miss the valley.

Worst tree we planted was the locust. Beautiful, but it's a mess when the leaves fall and the branches are constantly drooping down.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Custom Coach "Land Cruiser")
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB

Online chessie4905

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 04:19:03 AM »
My father lived in town on residential street when he had the 4104. He would call the borough manager every couple of years to complain they needed to trim the tree branches to required clearances over streets. I used to chuckle, but they would come out in a couple of weeks and get it done.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 08:45:21 PM »
David great idea. I have two roof warts colemans and they are pretty thin and have cracked over the years. I was going to buy two new covers until I saw the price. Your idea I can do for a whole lot less. Thank you.
Then I can cover that with two coats of truck bed liner too.
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
 1998 Jeep TJ & 2002 Buick Century, Roseville,CA
Congressmen should wear uniforms, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:32:09 AM »
Double decker buses typically have tubular steel guards to protect the top windows from tree branches. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate something similar to protect your ACs

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:25:35 AM »
The cheap roof wart shrouds are chincy at best. While new we reinforce them. They even sell upgraded stronger shrouds as an option. Go figure...
Dan & Sandy
PD4104-129 since 1979