Author Topic: Bicycles  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
Bicycles
« on: April 29, 2006, 12:37:25 PM »
How many carry bicycles, and how?

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

El-Sonador

Re: Bicycles
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 01:06:36 PM »
May be hard to see from this photo, but I always carry two bikes on a hitch mounted bike rack on my tow vehicle. I had this bike rack on the back of the bus orginaly, but toooo much trouble getting into the engine compartment. This set-up works well for me as I take "Mini-Me" [the name I gave my tow vehicle] on shorter one and two week excursions from wherever I happen to leave the bus.

Steve

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
I carry a Linear recumbent in my Ford Windstar toad.
                                                                        Work?/Play safely Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Merlin

• Run away before the kids come back home.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 06:01:47 PM »
May be hard to see from this photo, but I always carry two bikes on a hitch mounted bike rack on my tow vehicle. ...
Steve

I'm concerned that carrying my bikes externally (especially on the rear of a bus) would get them covered with dirt, grit and oil.  Have you found that to be the case?
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

Offline Merlin

• Run away before the kids come back home.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
I carry a Linear recumbent in my Ford Windstar toad.

Ah, a fellow recumbent rider !!  We are a strange lot indeed.  Took us a while to locate a nice toad that could handle two recumbents internally.  Have to remove the front wheels, but that is not a huge deal.
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

Offline Timnvt

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 06:55:21 PM »
We carry 8 bikes (or more) on the back of the bus.  It is a double decker unit with 4 locking fixtures on the top unit and a home made unit below that the rest of them are bungeed and strapped. It is carried via the 2 in. receiver.

We did find the bikes were covered in dirt and grime and blended in well with whatever the back of the bus looked like.  Consequently we purchased 2 bike bags from Camping World which zip around up to 4 bikes to keep them from the elements and from the temptations of others.

This has worked very well for us for years.  The protection bags are a must though they can be a challenge to get around the bikes.
'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 08:44:52 PM »
We carry 8 bikes (or more) on the back of the bus.  It is a double decker unit with 4 locking fixtures on the top unit and a home made unit below that the rest of them are bungeed and strapped. It is carried via the 2 in. receiver.

Can you still tow with this unit??
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline Timnvt

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 07:37:29 PM »
They do sell the bike racks with the option of having an available 2 in. receiver at the tail end of the rack. It would extend the receiver about 2 feet or so beyond what the existing hitch.  I don't know what the issues might be for trailering where there is a significant amount of tongue weight involved.

For towing 4 down without weight carrying it should be doable but I haven't any idea what the manufacturer’s specs would be on that.   
'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »
I carry 3 on this rack.  It could extend for more if needed.  It's all removable and I made it out of sqaure tubing.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 06:25:48 PM »
On the back in cargo rack with an insert that holds the front wheels.

I am going to heed all of your advice and cover them to avoid the DD signature oil sample. ;D
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal