Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time  (Read 2012 times)

Dallas

Daylight Savings Time
« on: March 05, 2007, 04:25:51 AM »
If your computer is more than 2 years old, and you aren't recieving automatic updates from Microsoft or Apple, you will need to move your computer clock forward manually next weekend.

This is because Daylight savings time is coming early this year.

As far as I know this is only needed in the United States. Europe and most of the rest of the world don't switch times during the year. Canada I'm not sure of, I've heard both ways.

Good luck, Be on time!  :)

Dallas

Here's a link for Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues

And here is a link for Apple:

http://search.info.apple.com/index.html?search=Go&lr=lang_&kword=&&news&q=Daylight%20Savings%20time%20update&type=kbdload
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:35:42 AM by Dallas »

Ncbob

Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:00:07 AM »
Just proves a point I've tried to make for years, Dallas.  The people who're being sent to Washington, contrary to the rhetoric we hear in the news, have too much time on their hands and too little desire to do the job they were hired for.

NCbob

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:26:52 AM »
Europe and most of the rest of the world don't switch times during the year. Canada I'm not sure of, I've heard both ways.

Britain does switch times as it happens - I expect the Scandanavian and former USSR members of Europe do as well, because they are even further North than we are

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Paso One

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:29:41 AM »
Hi Dallas  All of Canada Switches 2 times a year Except Saskatchewan apparently years ago our elected officials thought it would confuse the Cows too much. So we didn't switch. :)
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle.
1973 MCI 5 B 8V71 4 speed manual
1996 MCI 102 D3 3129 Cat engine 7 speed manual  and yes I would.

Offline akbusguy2000

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 02:20:51 PM »
Virtually all of Europe switches to what they call "summer" time, except Iceland.  They just don't do it on the same day as we do.  Here's the information and schedule:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Summer_Time

tg

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »
I don't know how the system works exactly, but I do know that sometimes French & German TV programmes start at the 'right' time according to British clocks, and sometimes they are an hour out. I thought this happened because our clocks were changing and theirs weren't, but maybe theirs change as well but on different dates. Either way, it plays havoc with setting the video, even more so if you forget to record the 'English' soundtrack.

One of the standard news stories here that gets featured at the same time every year is whether the UK should scrap the clock change, keep it as it is, or go to 'double summer time' (ie. a two hour change). I believe they even tried some of the different variations in the '70s, and measured such things as the number of children who got killed going to school in the dark versus the productivity benefits for industry etc. I think the time changes were originally instigated during WW2 when street lighting had to be turned off due to air raids - although that may be wrong as America and Canada has never suffered air raids and yet you obviously have a similar system.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »
I believe Arizona is the only state that shows some sense and does not switch time.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 06:50:49 PM »
Once, an elderly lady in my church said, "If they don't stop messing with God's time, my tomaters ain't gone never bloom." ;D
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 08:02:59 PM »
I believe Arizona is the only state that shows some sense and does not switch time.

When it's 117 degrees outside, who wants the sun to shine roast away until 9:00pm in July?  :P 

I actually don't mind the Daylight Savings giving the evening hours a bit more daylight... here in early Spring, anyways. I could sure have used more light tonight when I was under the bus!

Now, when Summer rolls around and the kids are still running around in the twilight at 10 o'clock... not-so-much. "But, Dad, we can't go to bed... it's still light out!" I can't imagine what it's like in the extreme latitudes.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline Hartley

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »
Windows users.... Hold on to your wallets...

If you run anything older than Windows XP, be prepared to jump through a few nasty hoops to make your computer behave with the time changes.

Micro-SH*** want's $4,000 to send you the extended support for Windows 2000, Server, Pro and anything that is not the latest release. Even some versions of XP will need surgery to properly adjust the time and date.

There is information about how to manually change your daylight savings time settings on the support site. Part of the instructions are simple and easy while the rest means major registry surgery where the faint of technology probably shouldn't tread.

tZedit ( time zone edit ) works on W2000, Pro and Server so far and allows you to edit the time zone that you have your computer set to, allows adjusting the dates and times for start and end of DST.

If you are still running 98 or ME ... You might want to think about upgrading or just fudge the time zone settings and run all based on GMT which never changes.

There's more stuff that is affected.. Like calendar programs, Outlook and Office programs... Enjoy....
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline Nusa

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 10:52:16 PM »
Or you can just do nothing. Almost none of you are running time-critical applications that would be hurt by having the computer time be off by an hour for a few weeks. But if it's important to you, the easiest is just to turn off the "Automaticlly adjust clock for daylight savings" checkbox and change the time yourself when you change all your other clocks.