Author Topic: Electrical help--Resources  (Read 3698 times)

Offline freds

• 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
Re: Electrical help--Resources
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 02:31:30 PM »
Now that is interesting

The other solution which I am leaning towards in reconfiguring my system is to simply do a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) type solution. Everything draws from house battery/inverter and the input side is either solar or AC power from either the generator or shore power from being plugged in.

In my case the transfer switch takes up a significant amount of space on a storage bay wall where I could mount other stuff...

Offline richard5933

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 04:44:48 PM »
If you've got a big enough charger, that could be the only thing which received power from shore power/generator.

The charger keeps the batteries topped off when the solar isn't doing enough, and everything pulls from the batteries via the inverter(s).

I like it.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline lovetofix

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 04:56:15 PM »
The inverters need a big enough battery bank to draw from when one is making up the difference in the power load it is not like one just makes the power
Exactly, I am also thinking a rooftop of solar and big alternator will take care of sunny days and driving time (usually night). And of course the generator covers all the other time when not plugged into 50A 240V.

Offline freds

• 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 08:01:57 PM »
Exactly, I am also thinking a rooftop of solar and big alternator will take care of sunny days and driving time (usually night). And of course the generator covers all the other time when not plugged into 50A 240V.

If you read my build thread I am using multiple server power supplies to simulate solar input when the sun goes down if AC power is available.

I just picked up a 1700 watt DC to DC converter (24 volt to 48 volt) so looking to make up the difference between solar and demand draw for both roof top air conditioners when I am driving.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 05:27:40 AM »
What happened to the simple step-up transformer?

Price a suitable sized transformer before committing to all these boxes full of expensive smoke...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline windtrader

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 10:47:35 AM »
What he is doing is taking in AC and outputting DC to feed to DC battery bank. That way he can draw all power to be used via the battery and inverter.

The 24 to 48 volt DC-DC step up transformer inputs alternator and outputs and connects to the PV output side. Then that feeds the battery bank that feeds the AC.

That's my understanding based on Fred's idea to push all house usage via the battery bank and inverter.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline lovetofix

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 03:57:03 PM »
What happened to the simple step-up transformer?

Price a suitable sized transformer before committing to all these boxes full of expensive smoke...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
The step-up transformer discussion was for my system planning and is still my plan for the 240V to power my split system. Freds is doing something quite a bit different though as I believe he has a 240V inverter. Okie could use the 120 to 240 step up transformer to power his mini split if that works for him. I am thinking the step up transformer will only be useful for me while driving down the road (alternator power) or sunny days (solar power) both through a 120volt inverter I already have. When I have a 50A plug I will already have 240V and a 120 porch receptacle won’t keep up with the mini split requiring the generator to run anyway which will give 240V.

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 09:59:26 PM »
This discussion is helping me to refine my plans for my AC system, specifically in terms of ducting with an eye to low power operation. If there's only a 30A 110v receptacle available, (Bearing in mind that many household outlets are 15A) Much depends on the energy efficiency rating (EER) but on average there's a decent chance of powering a 1-1/2 ton unit with a good extension cord. So that has to be the default, lowest powered option and anything more is a bonus. In some cases it could be possible to do twice that, or 3 tons if the A/C was especially efficient.

Now I'm using the overhead bin mounted units for my mid level evaporators  and they have a 1-1/2 ton capacity each so a compressor to drive one of those should be well able to run on said extension cord, but then it's a question of maximizing the effective use of that cooling.

I don't think it would be at all reasonable to expect it to keep up with the whole bus, but since I have bulkheads between the rear bedroom and bathroom, and again between the bathroom and the ballroom (rest of the RV) I can shut those doors and what I need then is a flapper to shut off the ductwork to the rear. And as long as I'm doing that it might make sense to do the same to the front so that I can send all the cold air either to the front, to the back, or both.

A useful refinement that I don't think I would have thought of otherwise, so thanks.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline richard5933

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 03:45:29 AM »
Again, with a simple hybrid inverter (one which can provide AC power boost from batteries) you should be able to provide a short-term boost to the incoming 15-amp extension cord to help with start-up loads.

Depending on how large your battery bank is, that short-term boost can be used for a much longer time period.
Richard

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 09:45:32 AM »
Mini-split   been running 120V INVERTER type mini split.. 3 in coach. will run on 30 amp 120 volt (all 3) you have no suden start up surge. The units ramp up slowly to full operation. the highest amp (max load) of a 12,000 unit is 8 amp at 120 v ac.  No other hardware (transformer etc) to fail. I'm using 2ea  9,000  and 1 ea 12,000. on a 45ft coach. hottest temp I have used in was 96 F  lowest was 9 F (on heat side)
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »
No room for the condensers except maybe on the bumpers?
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline lovetofix

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:18 AM »
No room for the condensers except maybe on the bumpers?
That is exactly my problem. Our bus will be our only home in the USA and for 2 months at a time so we need the storage bay space.
The only option I have to stay with 120V systems would be to build a custom rear cap and house the multiple condensers back there but that will take a lot of engineering and work to deal with the negative pressure behind the bus, plus there is all the dirt that gets sucked up back there.

Offline OKIE9ERS

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 02:33:58 PM »
This is why, if I can figure how to do it,  run 1 condenser@240 volts, and put it in the factory air condenser bay..Can run 2 or 3 inside units off of that.
Have heard many good ideas, but that has not lessened my confusion much...lol.
Thanks everyone for your input..
And...it may not be practical to go 240...
I've always considered my self mechanically inclined,, but dang!! This electrical is tough on another level..
'81 MC-9 8V-71
4SPD DANA

Offline richard5933

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
If there is no room in the bays, what about on the roof?

There are lots of a/c systems made for roof mounting - you see them on the roof of transit buses all the time.

What if you got the fiberglass shell from one of those and used the guts out of a mini split inside it?
Richard

Offline lovetofix

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 07:55:11 PM »
If there is no room in the bays, what about on the roof?

There are lots of a/c systems made for roof mounting - you see them on the roof of transit buses all the time.

What if you got the fiberglass shell from one of those and used the guts out of a mini split inside it?
I don’t have the headroom to do that, 10” roof raise.  :-\
I think with a step up transformer I can run a 240V inverter style 3ton condenser off a 30A 120V connection or my 3500W inverter (continual rating). Even if I can’t run all three evaporators that will keep me going most of the time. I believe the wiring difficulties will be easier than trying to find someone to make me a custom rear cap for my MC9. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal