Author Topic: Hub pilot and stud pilot wheels on same bus  (Read 219 times)

Offline Video45

Hub pilot and stud pilot wheels on same bus
« on: June 08, 2021, 08:01:42 PM »
2004 Gillig low floor bus bought at auction. While learning everything I can about the bus, I notice the bus manuals I bought from Gillig, that THIS BUS HAS STUD PILOTED WHEELS. OK. Well looking at front and looking at rear wheels, well they ain't the same. I see nuts on rear with square studs and just nuts on front like regular studs on cars. Now what do I do? Carry 2 different wheels and tires? I need tires......Also retreads on front wheels were NOT ALLOWED..... I thought federal code, but I have them. But I did buy it at auction, so... how do I correct this, other than new tires or is this much ado about nothing?

Mystified Marty

Offline chessie4905

Re: Hub pilot and stud pilot wheels on same bus
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 08:41:14 PM »
Hub piloted front wheels have a nut with washer built in as part of the nut.  The stud diameter is like 3/4". Stud piloted studs are over an inch in diameter and nuts have no washer and also same as rear nuts.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Video45

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 08:54:47 PM »
So If I understand you nothing can be done.

Marty

Online luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 08:56:24 PM »
2004 Gillig low floor bus bought at auction. While learning everything I can about the bus, I notice the bus manuals I bought from Gillig, that THIS BUS HAS STUD PILOTED WHEELS. OK. Well looking at front and looking at rear wheels, well they ain't the same. I see nuts on rear with square studs and just nuts on front like regular studs on cars. Now what do I do? Carry 2 different wheels and tires? I need tires......Also retreads on front wheels were NOT ALLOWED..... I thought federal code, but I have them. But I did buy it at auction, so... how do I correct this, other than new tires or is this much ado about nothing?

Mystified Marty

You see that often on buses nothing to alarmed about ,I see buses that have hub pilot on the front and tag with stud pilot on the drive axles,there is no rule saying you cannot run recaps on the front check out a UPS or FedX truck I would not do it but the big guns do 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 05:48:51 AM »
Your description IS of stud piloted??

Post pictures.

Front fasteners look just like oversized auto, and the two part fasteners in the rear, highlighted by the square drive showing on the inner fastener, which looks like a stud from the outside.

Transit agency will throw any old tire onto a sale bus.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline richard5933

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 09:31:08 AM »
If your bus is similar to many others, you have the same rims/wheels on the front and the back. The front will be mounted with the rim outwards. On the rear axle the inner tire will have the rim mounted the same as the front, and the outer tire will have the rim facing the other way with the dished side showing.

The studs on the front are normal looking studs.

The studs holding the inner rear wheels on are normal looking, and then rather than using nuts to hold the inner wheel on there is another stud used (the one with the square end). Then goes the outer wheel, and then the lug nuts.

Looking at the rear studs with everything mounted it will look quite different than the fronts, with the square-end outer studs showing.

Also, you might have different threads on one side of the bus from the other. Look for an "L" and "R" stamped in the end of the studs to find out which way the the nuts turn to tighten (left-hand or right-hand.)
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Custom Coach "Land Cruiser")
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB

Online luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 10:57:35 AM »
I have a 2008 CC that has hub pilot on the front and tag with disk brakes and stud pilot on the drive axle drum brakes ,if he has stud pilot the outer nuts are the same size front and rear 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Video45

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 09:11:54 PM »
Thank you all for replies. I will need to find another wheel for a spare, but I once again learn much from this bus. I feel like the new dad going nuts trying to do the right things and sometimes NOT having a clue.

Thank you again.
Marty