Author Topic: Generator or batteries for boondocking?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Generator or batteries for boondocking?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2021, 09:41:38 AM »
I think about solar  :^ but cannot bring myself to install that ugly stuff on top of my RV lol these generators run for 20,000 hours without problems so with 1410 hours showing I can put it off for while
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline windtrader

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »
Clifford - Ugly panels? What about ugly being the shades bolted onto the side of the bus? And let's not forget the generator noise groaning along and disrupting and masking the sound of nature? All tradeoffs - I say ditch the generator and go silent!
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 10:06:06 AM »
Our panels are hardly noticeable but we have a supplement solar setup - not trying for off-grid. Will always have a genny because the sun is moody at times - especially in AK winters & anywhere darkness... Lol
I'll bethca whoever has primary solar don't prefer a shade tree anymore! Just saying.
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2021, 10:34:03 AM »
Clifford - Ugly panels? What about ugly being the shades bolted onto the side of the bus? And let's not forget the generator noise groaning along and disrupting and masking the sound of nature? All tradeoffs - I say ditch the generator and go silent!

You cannot tell my awning are on the side of my RV 2-20ft built into the flaring not bolted to the sides and no arms 

Online Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2021, 12:04:53 PM »
So those would hide your solar panels. :^
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2021, 12:59:06 PM »
So those would hide your solar panels. :^

I am not going solar Dave I don't like the looks and it would not be a advantage for me I am on the road not parked  most of the time lol I have a wife nagging about solar as you know so far I am winning     

Offline belfert

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
I would need to completely cover my bus in solar panels to come close to meeting my electric needs.  There isn't really a chance I could avoid running my generator with three 15,000 BTU air conditioners.  I have an extra solar panel I could put on my bus, but not sure it is worth it.

I have DIY solar at home that provides 150% of my electric needs.  I currently have a $450 credit with my electric company.  Whatever is left after winter I will cash out.  From Thanksgiving to late February I will likely not produce enough solar to cover my electricity usage.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline belfert

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2021, 01:21:29 PM »
FYI - There are all sorts of batteries available on the secondary market, That is why I stated one needs to get educated before jumping in. In your case, it does not many any sense to pursue that and I apologize if you felt I was pressuring you that way.

I've done more research on DIY LifePO4 and it may not be as bad as I thought it would be.  I can get twice the capacity of a Battle Born battery for the same price.  Battle Born is certainly easier.  The worst part seems to be finding a good supplier of the LifePO4 cells.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2021, 05:12:21 PM »
These batteries made it through the night just fine when I first installed them.  They are 12 volt.  I was incorrect on the amp hours.  They are 170 amp hour batteries.  They are set up essentially as three 24 volt 170 AH batteries.  I use equal length battery cables for all batteries.
Brian -

OK, they're 12vdc, 170 amp hour batteries, but again, what "Group Size" are they?
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2021, 05:54:27 PM »
They're not a standard group size as you would buy off the shelf from anywhere. Specialized, golf car, etc. Group 31s are usually 100 to 105AH each in the WLA arena.
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »
It seems to me that it would be good to have some level of battery coverage so that the genset would not need to be started for trivia.  Other than that regarding the original question, according to your requirements one could get by depending on the generator instead of an expensive battery system that may or may not be good for your trip next year.  The criteria I would be looking at is what others around you do and what they can be expected to cordially tolerate.  If many are using generators (or playing loud music), it may not be an issue to add yours to the general din.  However, if everyone else is in silence mode it would be obviously obnoxious to run it.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline belfert

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2021, 04:14:13 AM »
OK, they're 12vdc, 170 amp hour batteries, but again, what "Group Size" are they?

They are a telecom battery which is not really a standard group size.  See the attached image I found with Google.

It really doesn't matter what I have now as these batteries are junk.  I am not going to buy more telecom batteries.  I got these batteries for free and they lasted me four or five years.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2021, 08:00:32 AM »
Thanks Brian now RJ knows Dan had it  figured out they were off the wall type batteries by the amp rating  :^

Offline freds

• 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2021, 09:54:00 PM »
Hey I get lots of positive comments about my solar panels!!!

Current mulling around spending money on fixing the diesel generator or yanking it out for more battery storage space.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2021, 10:50:54 PM »
They are a telecom battery which is not really a standard group size.
Brian -

Thank you. Now I have a better understanding of what you're talking about.

Just for a point of reference, I have four deep-cycle AGM 8D batteries powering the house side of things in my coach. I can easily go overnight running the household fridge, but I do need to run the genset during the day to top them back off - just like most other all-electric coach owners have to do.

As a curiosity question - and since you've been considering a DIY LiPo battery project - in the space available, might you be able to build a LiPo battery that is equal to or even greater capacity than the telecom batteries you're removing?

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal