Author Topic: happybuy diesel air heater  (Read 1904 times)

Offline dtcerrato

Re: happybuy diesel air heater
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »
Besides our vintage 6G pilot light LP water heater we have a 19G 120V one mostly for wifey... 10-4 on long hot showers. :^
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toad: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi

Offline BusNit

« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2021, 09:55:51 AM »
I've got two new fuel tanks for the CDH available. I since sold my other project that I had tapped into the main diesel tank and didn't need these. (Mesa AZ area) Just found them while cleaning out the garage. Actually, they fell on top of me as I pulled the Christmas decorations out of the garage cabinet.
--Simon

1993 Newell 44’

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
I see people are installing 4 or 5 of the air heaters in buses since they are so cheap ,the MCI I saw had 5 with the tanks that looks like a hassel filling 5 tiny tanks,5 heaters in one bay and the guy lives in AZ makes no sense 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline windtrader

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2021, 11:43:05 AM »

"makes no sense "
Sure it does Clifford. I read you can buy ten of them for the cost of one Webasto. So buy five of the Chinese and you still saving 50%. Not new math - busnut math OL
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Online chessie4905

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
several reports of that style tank leaking at seam. You can plumb these into Coach fuel tank or extra tank. Specific specs on how far the pump can be from tank and how far the pump can be from burner. Also, pump must be angled like 30° or so.
Several have been successful running on red fuel.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »
"makes no sense "
Sure it does Clifford. I read you can buy ten of them for the cost of one Webasto. So buy five of the Chinese and you still saving 50%. Not new math - busnut math OL

Good math Don

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »
several reports of that style tank leaking at seam. You can plumb these into Coach fuel tank or extra tank. Specific specs on how far the pump can be from tank and how far the pump can be from burner. Also, pump must be angled like 30° or so.

It is kinda of scary to see people in travel trailers running those things using gasoline

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2021, 03:35:42 PM »
With 5 you get EGGROLL........... :^
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline richard5933

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
"makes no sense "

Except then you have five diesel heaters to maintain.

The single Webasto on my 4106 was able to heat the entire bus and pre-warm both the generator and bus engine. Annual maintenance was not expensive if kept up with, and the thing had been in place doing its thing for decades.

It's all a balancing act - low entry cost vs. longevity, reliability, & efficiency.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Custom Coach "Land Cruiser")
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
Or the love of gawd, put a motorboat priming bulb into the line from the main tank, and save a lot of pain getting the fuel to them, everytime you have to open something up, gulp goes the air...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Online chessie4905

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »
They use a 2mm id line. .0787 or little over 1/16"
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2021, 05:26:49 PM »
Except then you have five diesel heaters to maintain.

The single Webasto on my 4106 was able to heat the entire bus and pre-warm both the generator and bus engine. Annual maintenance was not expensive if kept up with, and the thing had been in place doing its thing for decades.

It's all a balancing act - low entry cost vs. longevity, reliability, & efficiency.

Or in the case of a lot of the newer buses, it came as a bonus when you bought the bus. In that case a little re-plumbing is in order to be able to isolate it from the engine and use it to heat the coach and possibly water. That can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it. Either way the burner is the same, is very likely to be in serviceable condition, and has a long life expectancy.

Jim
Facts are like pretzels: Sometimes they give you indigestion.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2021, 12:02:41 AM »
The FB folk think that split day tanks are actually very rare.   My two tanks seem to be decent quality, but to be safe I made a drip tray under the one in use now, so if the tank leaks I won't have diesel smell in the bus:  the drip tray is a $3.99 plastic tray from The Container Store with a drain tube down to the ground.   Another way to reduce the chance of leaks is to have the outlet in the top, not underneath.

To move fuel from the bus's main tank to the day tanks I use two gear pumps intended for scavenging oil on dry-sump race engines, and each pump can fill its 10-liter day tank in less than a minute.   Easy!

So far, so good.
John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2021, 05:02:48 AM »
The last two CDH purchases have 15L tanks - nice upgrade. But had green fuel line we changed to small dia. plastic line. Not too far off from firing up our 2nd installed heater. It has the four 42mm heat ducts for heating two large bottom compartments and the two others will be routed to cool areas in the cabin. These heaters are excellent for giving us a choice to heat with LP or diesel.
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toad: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi

Offline s2mikon

« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »
My 10 liter day tank cracked at the seam too. I originally did not install the plastic tank because it looked mickey mouse so instead I bought a 5 gal. race car aluminum fuel cell with fuel sender for each heater. Later I decided to install the day tank that it came with and with switch valves to fill with kerosene to do post season burn outs and first fire up. Filled it with 2 gallons of 1k and didn't leak so all looked good. 4 days later I go out to get the mail and it is dripping kerosene out the bottom bays. No big deal my tool bags needed to be soaked in kerosene anyway. :-) Other than that both heaters have been trouble free. I bought the 4 outlet versions and bought a few 42mm tee adapters. The one in the back keeps the bedroom and bath very cozy. I have one duct that goes to the throne. Wife likes the warm seat. The front one has a lot more work to do. The windshield is a large area to heat. If I keep the insulation panels up it is fine, but if I remove them to look out it is just not enough. I may install another one under the dash some day.