Author Topic: Wiring for 220v or 110v?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Wiring for 220v or 110v?
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2022, 08:15:11 AM »
You do know I hope if the wood stove causes a fire in a rv the claim from the insurance carrier will be denied most carriers have that clause hidden in the fine print.I have a friend that has been in a battle for 4 years over his bus fire because of a wood stove ,do your home work
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2022, 08:22:34 AM »
That's a good point.  I will need to talk to my insurance company.  That may be a deal breaker.

You do know I hope if the wood stove causes a fire in a rv the claim from the insurance carrier will be denied most carriers have that clause hidden in the fine print.I have a friend that has been in a battle for 4 years over his bus fire because of a wood stove ,do your home work
1996 MCI 102dl3
Series 60 12.7 w/ Allison B500 Retarder
470 HP/ 1550 TQ
A work in progress

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2022, 08:24:44 AM »
Richard, that's a great idea to install wiring for future solar.  I hadn't even given it a thought but it makes a lot of sense.  I'm so glad we have this forum.  The advice I get from here is priceless.

NEVER put antifreeze in the freshwater tank itself. You'll spend the entire season trying to get the taste and foaming out of the water. Instead make sure that the tank has a well-placed low-point drain with the valve in a heated area.

To run the antifreeze through the rest of the system (where it is relatively easy to flush back out) all you have to do is incorporate a T fitting and a valve just before the water pump. When it's time to pump antifreeze through the system you switch the valve so it pulls from a jug of antifreeze rather than the freshwater tank.

Make sure that your water filter can be removed easily so you can take it out before winterizing the system.

If you're not going to install solar right away it would be a great idea to do some calculations to determine the wire size you think you'll need and install that now. Go up a size or two in case your plans change, and then run the wires from the electric bay where you plan to put the solar charge controller all the way to the junction box just below the roof. Install a waterproof connection point on the roof and just cap it off for now. This way you won't have to snake those wires through a competed conversion later on.

While you're running wiring, you should also plan to run at least a few extra pairs of wires from the nose of the bus to the engine bay, and possibly a few others to key points such as from your interior house system control panel to the electrical bay. You'll make changes later on, so you might as well have the wiring in place.
1996 MCI 102dl3
470 HP/ 1550 TQ
A work in progress

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2022, 09:07:20 AM »
NEVER put antifreeze in the freshwater tank itself. You'll spend the entire season trying to get the taste and foaming out of the water. Instead make sure that the tank has a well-placed low-point drain with the valve in a heated area.

Excellent advice - you only need to put AF in your drinking water once to never forget the taste.

To run the antifreeze through the rest of the system (where it is relatively easy to flush back out) all you have to do is incorporate a T fitting and a valve just before the water pump. When it's time to pump antifreeze through the system you switch the valve so it pulls from a jug of antifreeze rather than the freshwater tank.

Make sure that your water filter can be removed easily so you can take it out before winterizing the system.

There's no harm in a low point drain on the tank(s) but its overkill. A large flat surface with a relatively shallow amount of ice will do no damage. The pump is what you need to worry about. A 3-way ball valve between the tank and pump will allow you to easily switch between tank and AF jug as needed.  You don't want AF in the filter for the same reason you don't want it in the main tank - don't ask how I know.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website

Contrary to popular belief, wise men do not learn from their own mistakes
They learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
Yes, I remember the taste of AF.  I once had to start a siphon with AF and it does taste awful. 

Excellent advice - you only need to put AF in your drinking water once to never forget the taste.

There's no harm in a low point drain on the tank(s) but its overkill. A large flat surface with a relatively shallow amount of ice will do no damage. The pump is what you need to worry about. A 3-way ball valve between the tank and pump will allow you to easily switch between tank and AF jug as needed.  You don't want AF in the filter for the same reason you don't want it in the main tank - don't ask how I know.
1996 MCI 102dl3
470 HP/ 1550 TQ
A work in progress