Author Topic: Infaltion and rebuilding a 2 stroke engine  (Read 3260 times)

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Infaltion and rebuilding a 2 stroke engine
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2022, 08:51:46 PM »

I still love those beautiful Eagles more than any bus

I have a similar opinion, and they are the only buses I will ever own, but I have lusted over some GM's and Flxible's. The quality of the Torsilastic suspension is the big difference.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer (Being parted out currently)
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline siberyd

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2022, 12:41:37 AM »
I guess I am an odd one. In October of 2020 we were bringing our coach home after several grand worth of upgrades and lost a lower radiator and cracked the head on our 671.

Took it to a shop that specializes in 2 strokes and hade them work their magic. Found out the block had previously been damaged. We thought it over and had a rebuilt made for us. It was not an option to scrap the bus.

Now we are ready to travel with our new engine.

I couldn't buy and convert a modern coach for the same money. Besides I like our little 4104.

Siberyd
1957 PD 4104-2240 Lawn Art

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2022, 04:49:45 AM »
It is heartbreaking to see so many buses now being parted out to keep others on the road now,owners seem to think they are worth more for parts.I don't what I will do with it.  not even liking GM buses I bought a nice 4106 with a 6v92 and V730 the owner passed away and kids were selling it to a scrap yard so I paid her 500 bucks more to save it,I have the tires to install and plan on driving it to Scottsdale.I am going to Ca to look at a Eagle that is to nice to be setting for 10 years the owner passed away before he ever made a trip in it after taking years to finish 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline richard5933

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2022, 04:58:31 AM »
This kind of thing happens to all sorts of collectibles and antiques. The owner dies and to the kids it's just old junk that they don't value. They want it gone and to be rid of what they see as a hassle.

If someone loves their bus enough hopefully a plan is put in place before it ends up like this.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline rancher

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2022, 06:14:43 AM »
As I am looking around trying to figure out what to buy to do some traveling in. I look at the older coach's with the two strokes and I like the idea until I read a post like olebusman posted being broke down on the road with his fan hub issues and no parts. I can do my own work at the house and wait for a part but if your thousand miles from home and no parts and you need a shop and no one wants to work on a two stroke. Then what do you do. The cost of hauling it home is out of reach. I like older equipment but sometimes having them isn't a good idea. If I find the right conversion I might take a chance.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2022, 06:41:47 AM »
Buses were never setup for the individual to maintain,I been in Greyhound,Trailways and tour operators shops where they had up to 10 engines complete with transmissions, fan and starter even with oil, in four hours they would roll out the door back in service, the individual doesn't have that luxury 

Online Tedsoldbus

• Life is not a rehearsal. Get your bus on the road.
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2022, 06:59:19 AM »
When my bus was built in 1980 I was at Quantico because all new Lieutenants have to go to Basic Course. About 1/3 of us were headed to Pensacola after the 6 month course, and treated with some distain by the others. One day we were just getting released from class when 2 Marine F-4s flew over the school and were doing a few laps nearby. Everyone ran out of the building to see them!
Within minutes one of not going to Pensacola guys said " I don't see what is the big deal".
A Pensacola guy replied " Yeah.... well I never saw people run out of a building to watch a grunt go by". Kind of mean I suppose but us fly guys thought it funny.
I did not purchase my bus to show off. (But it is shiny metal thing that makes a roar). When I saw it I liked it for it! To my surprise (and I am sure most of you have experienced this) every time I stop for fuel, stop at a rest area, pull into a campground - I get approached with 20 questions. As described above I do travel with subdued anticipation ever time I take it more than an hour from home.
Did I remember extra belts, hoses, straight 40 oil, fuses they won't have at the next truck stop...???
But I love to drive it. I love when cars pull along side with kids trying to get me to do the air horn. It is just a wonderful thing.
And nobody ever ran out of a building to watch a Winnebago go by......
1980 shorty (35') Prevost
6V92  HT 740
Lake Nottely Ga
Bus name "debt"
Education is important, but having a Bus is importanter...

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2022, 07:01:33 AM »
As I am looking around trying to figure out what to buy to do some traveling in. I look at the older coach's with the two strokes and I like the idea until I read a post like olebusman posted being broke down on the road with his fan hub issues and no parts. I can do my own work at the house and wait for a part but if your thousand miles from home and no parts and you need a shop and no one wants to work on a two stroke. Then what do you do. The cost of hauling it home is out of reach. I like older equipment but sometimes having them isn't a good idea. If I find the right conversion I might take a chance.

A lot of wisdom right there.

Old rigging is fine if you never go far from home but if you travel a lot and end up broke down 20 miles from the east end of nowhere its not so much fun. Contrary to what my signature says I find myself looking from time to time but if we take the plunge again it will absolutely be with a 4 stroke. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website

Contrary to popular belief, wise men do not learn from their own mistakes
They learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline richard5933

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2022, 07:07:42 AM »
As some would say, it's part of the adventure. Pretty much the same with any vintage vehicle - you might get stuck somewhere. Of course the repercussions are more expensive in a bus.

Most of the weak points are well documented, such as fan hubs. They should be inspected regularly and if not up to snuff it would't be a good idea to go far from your home shop. Or do like some and carry a spare.

All depends on a person's priorities and budget.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline siberyd

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2022, 07:13:48 AM »
A broken fan hub has a fix, it all depends on where you are and if the parts you need are available nearby. A friend lost his fan hub on a 4104. A trip to town and he came back with a couple of electric radiator fans. He removed the broken fan hub. Zipped the new fans in place and continued his journey. When he got to his destination,  he permanently installed the fans. That bus is still on the road 10 years later.
1957 PD 4104-2240 Lawn Art

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2022, 07:25:16 AM »
LOL now you spend more money for tires and batteries than you paid for the bus,All the road side assist except CoachNet is dropping towing for a converted buses,if needed that tow bill cause you the big one,Van knocked a hole in transmission pan and AAA plus refused to tow his bus he told me

Offline Van

• Prevost H3
  • BUS MAFIA. You try to get out but...
    • B&B Coach Works. Las Vegas, Nevada
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2022, 08:48:30 AM »
All the road side assist except CoachNet is dropping towing for a converted buses,if needed that tow bill cause you the big one,Van knocked a hole in transmission pan and AAA plus refused to tow his bus he told me

Yes it's true! We carried Goid Sam, AAA along with Progressive w/Roadside assist. When we started hearing GS started refusing service to others we kicked them to the curb. Now AAA after all the years we had them they too have been cut. Progressive has always been our go to for tows but now they seem to be weakening. Make no mistake when I have trouble on the road the last thing I need is an RV TECH for repairs, (we are well equipted to do our own repairs) I need a tow! Coachnet is the only one I will be able to count on to help get that done and get us off the road.
  Tues was evidence of that as we dragged the top of a fuel stations filler cap and ripped a nice hole in our transmission pan leaving us dead in the water at the diesel pumps. Fortunatly after all the drama with our service providers I managed to make a temp repair  refill 7 gallons of fluid and self recover back to a fellow Busnut's shop where we could make a permenant repair and continue on to Cliffs place.
Theres a special place in Hell for corrupt Politicians and Pedophiles.

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2022, 09:12:48 AM »
Our 1953 4104-129  has been all over most of the 48 states from 1979 thru 2015 & we love mountain driving. Since 2016  we've done two round trips between FL & AK and hope for another this year. 1st round trip was over $8000 in break downs & repairs incl. cylinder head replacement (in IN) and afterwards a blower disintegration (in AK) among multiple other failures.Never used roadside assistance and always performed repairs on the side of the road or in a yard somewhere. The 2nd trip put the coveralls on once to adjust slack adjusters in AK before the return trip. Like sibeyrd said: "I guess I'm the odd one" & "Besides I like our little 4104"
Well - your not the only odd one! Me too! & we love our 4104... Just saying  :^
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline rancher

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 06:11:15 AM »
Van Glad you got back up going without needing a tow. Getting towing insurance will weight in on what we end up buying to do some traveling in. Some states get pretty touchy about giving you very much time to get going when you are broke down on the side of the road. I would hate to get forced into a tow and end up with a monster tow bill.

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2022, 07:08:48 AM »
In the great white western north you can homestead on the side of the road w/o issue. Sometimes you wish police would stop when you're trying to get their attention. Lol
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec