Author Topic: Lawn Art's New Engine  (Read 2351 times)

Offline siberyd

Lawn Art's New Engine
« on: January 17, 2022, 09:37:31 AM »
Good news, Lawn Art's engine rebuild is complete and we will probably get her home this month.

Back in October of 2020 we blew a lower radiator hose and cracked the head. When we got it to the shop and they pulled the head, they found catastrophic damage to the block. There was a gouge between between a few cylinders. The last mechanic that worked on the bus reseated the piston sleeves above the top of the block to make a bandaid seal.

We chose to do it right, it's our retirement ride so we started with another block. Our mechanic Dusty at J&R Diesel in Riverside, CA built us a beautiful new engine. It runs as good as it looks.

I am not a mechanic, so any work above my ability level get done by a professional.  I have found it is cheaper for my wallet in the long run.

Lawn Art's first official outing will be the SoCal Mini Rally in San Dimas, in March.

So if you want to see the bus that started the GM Survivor's List project, it will be there.

Siberyd
1957 PD 4104-2240 Lawn Art

Offline richard5933

Re: Lawn Art's New Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 11:26:14 AM »
Wow - now there is some actual art in the back end of Lawn Art. That looks great. Many safe and happy miles to you!
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline siberyd

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 11:45:55 AM »
Thanks

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »
Congratulations Jon! The engine looks and we're sure it runs great!
We have less than 15000 on our rebuild and just love it and the pep it has after driving it many years with a tired engine.
You have a unique bond with your 4104 & we admire that as we do the same. Enjoy your future years in a young old bus.  :)
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline Tedsoldbus

• Life is not a rehearsal. Get your bus on the road.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:42:34 PM »
That is a beautiful thing. I have not met you but I picture a permanent smile on your face as you drive it long enough to break in a NEW engine.
Safe travels.
1980 shorty (35') Prevost
6V92  HT 740
Lake Nottely Ga
Bus name "debt"
Education is important, but having a Bus is importanter...

Offline Van

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 04:59:31 PM »
Good news, Lawn Art's engine rebuild is complete and we will probably get her home this month.

Back in October of 2020 we blew a lower radiator hose and cracked the head. When we got it to the shop and they pulled the head, they found catastrophic damage to the block. There was a gouge between between a few cylinders. The last mechanic that worked on the bus reseated the piston sleeves above the top of the block to make a bandaid seal.

We chose to do it right, it's our retirement ride so we started with another block. Our mechanic Dusty at J&R Diesel in Riverside, CA built us a beautiful new engine. It runs as good as it looks.

I am not a mechanic, so any work above my ability level get done by a professional.  I have found it is cheaper for my wallet in the long run.

Lawn Art's first official outing will be the SoCal Mini Rally in San Dimas, in March.

So if you want to see the bus that started the GM Survivor's List project, it will be there.

Siberyd

Nicely done Jon!  :^ maybe we'll see you at the rally.
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Coach_and_Crown_Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 06:03:46 PM »
I've been watching the progress of this rebuild for the the past many months as I'm in and out of the shop, where I've had my own two Crowns stored, for years, as well as being friends with the guys there. I saw the old block where it was dipped down between the cylinders, very interesting indeed. I haven't been there recently to hear it run but I hear it sounds great, as it should. Congrats on a properly done what amounts to a complete re-man to include a whole new block, actually a full blown engine swap.

I'm more interested now in hearing about when and where this Rally is to be in San Dimas. I'd like to attend and bring one of my Crowns, if they'll allow a non-coach to attend. I'd also like to meet you and check out the finished 4104. There may be others there I might know.

I speak from many years of experience, there isn't anything quite as nice as a well running and tight driving 4104 on the road. I love 'em. I always wax ecstatic about how awesome Crowns are to be driven, anywhere really, so don't get me wrong, I'm not being two-faced here. I stand on everything I've ever said about Crowns on the road etc. But the fact is that the old GMC 4104, 4501 Scenicruiser, which I owned and operated for 4 years, and most of the rest of the GMC coaches are the epitome of how a coach could and should handle. They are superb and driver friendly and were the state of the art at the time. A true joy to drive, even though they do have definite limits since they were designed for flat paved highway running. That's why I balk at having one for a conversion and used for exploring unknown road conditions. Thanks but no thanks. Been there done that in commercial service. Hope you can hook me up with Rally organizers so I can make arrangements. Thanks, and Happy Motoring in your brand newly powered 4104.

Offline siberyd

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 07:17:54 PM »
The SoCal Mini Rally is at Bonelli Bluffs RV Park in San Dimas March 17th to March 20th.

Bus Conversion Magazine is sponsoring the rally. So you would need to contact Gary Hatt about bringing a seated bus to the event

Campsites were $77.00 per night last year when we booked our spot.

My understanding is we have 28 coaches booked for the event.

Siberyd

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 07:43:15 PM »
Was that a low block 6-71 that dipped ? DD are strange puppies I have a 8v92TA here the block deck has raised so much you cannot pull 4 liners from it even with the liner puller
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline siberyd

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 08:30:07 PM »
I believe so, it was like someone took an ice cream scooper and scooped up the metal between cylinders.

Siberyd

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 08:46:23 PM »
I believe so, it was like someone took an ice cream scooper and scooped up the metal between cylinders.

Siberyd
The were bad about that, we would weld the dip and grind it down to get one back online knowing the block was going to be replaced when it came in to the shop with the newer style block
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Glennman

• 1974 MCI MC-8 8V71 Turbo/2002 MCI D4500 Series 60
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »
Sounds like you will need to rename your bus to "Road Art".

Offline Coach_and_Crown_Guy

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 07:31:11 PM »
The SoCal Mini Rally is at Bonelli Bluffs RV Park in San Dimas March 17th to March 20th.

Bus Conversion Magazine is sponsoring the rally. So you would need to contact Gary Hatt about bringing a seated bus to the event

Campsites were $77.00 per night last year when we booked our spot.

My understanding is we have 28 coaches booked for the event.

Siberyd

Thanks for the Rally Info. I'll definitely contact Gary and see about bringing one
of my Crowns to visit. At least I can come by car to meet and put faces to
some of the usernames here. Have fun with your new re-powered 4104.

Offline siberyd

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 08:23:07 PM »
Coach and Crown,

Thanks, we will see you there.

Siberyd

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 04:46:18 AM »
It's like stepping back in time to see that engine so clean and I believe original color.
Now you could have been mean and painted it red to make it look like a CUMMINS but I digress. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal