Author Topic: The bus adventure begins  (Read 459 times)

Offline sabates

The bus adventure begins
« on: January 20, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »
Hello to the group, although this is my first post I have spent quite a bit of time here the last few months.  My name is Adam, I live in northern Arkansas and have recently acquired PD4107-152, which belonged to “Gus” who was very active here on the forum.   The last post Gus made here was in 2018, his wife became ill and passed in 2019 and Gus passed a few months later in 2020.  He was an interesting guy whom I’ve known for most of my life.

I didn’t have much interest in busses until I looked over Gus’s old 4107.  By pure accident I discovered his posts on this board and began reading them, all 3,632 of them, I think I am a “busnut” now.  The issue Gus had in 2018 with his brakes was in fact a locked up DD3 chamber.
 https://www.busconversionmagazine.com/forum/index.php?topic=33263.0

With the help of the manual,  this forum and Youtube (Bus Greasmonkey) I was able to get the brake canister off and rebuilt with parts from US Coach.  I got the bus home (just a few miles down the back road) and now we can start getting things back in shape.   Mechanically things aren’t too bad just the typical leaks and other maintenance issues, but after sitting for almost four years we have some interior damage courtesy of water leaks.  Again nothing major but we will be replacing some damaged walls; the leaks appeared to only by around the windows and where the awning attaches.

This forum has been great, not only because of the information everyone here shares, but it has served as an excellent source of information/history of “our” bus because of the many posts Gus left here for us.   Our family is looking forward to the day we can take the 4107 out together, and I thank everyone who contributes to this forum.
PD4107-152
North Central Arkansas

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Re: The bus adventure begins
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 10:30:08 AM »
Welcome to the madness!

Forums beat social media handsdown.

Researchable, moderated, fools and miscreants rapidly thown out, if they even get aboard in the first place, and their filth is removed when it is wrong, misleading or hurtful.

And a fine bit of historical knowledge. Everything known about buses has been recorded on BCM and BNO over the last two decades.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 10:41:11 AM »
Welcome sorry to hear he passed,that is a Sundance conversion Marv did a good job when Christy Hicks owned it was good looking conversion.the 1 ft roof raise sets it a part from your average 4107 for sure.FWIW Christy just sold parts they had for the bus   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:48:27 AM »
Welcome! great to see another GM bus nut. Auto or manual trans?
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline sabates

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 01:01:04 PM »
Yes it is a very well built conversion, I hope to return it to it's former glory when we get the inside repairs completed.  Thanks for the info and comments.

Allison V730 & Detroit 8V71
PD4107-152
North Central Arkansas

Offline windtrader

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 02:11:07 PM »
Welcome and a very wonderful backstory. Love that the bus lives on under new stewardship.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 04:43:25 PM »
Welcome to the bus world. You're in a good place.  :^
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
We are all just stewards of the bus we love, whether it ends up with family or an aspiring bus nut, most will enjoy and pass on to new hands, working on our bus is for the future, ours and theirs, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 08:16:57 AM »
Adam, you represent the very best of a new owner honoring the past owner. Your situation shows the value of a posting history on forums, versus the chaotic history of places like "Fakebook". Take good care of your bus so that it can be passed on to someone who respects it in the future.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer (Being parted out currently)
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline rancher

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 08:35:41 AM »
Adam I wish you the best with the bus. Lots of knowledge on this forum. I hope you and your family enjoy the bus for years to come.

Offline richard5933

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »
We are all just stewards of the bus we love, whether it ends up with family or an aspiring bus nut, most will enjoy and pass on to new hands, working on our bus is for the future, ours and theirs, lvmci...

Funny, I often say the same thing calling myself more of a bus curator than a bus owner. Hope to keep it all in good enough condition that it's still useful to the next person who gets to enjoy it.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline Tedsoldbus

• Life is not a rehearsal. Get your bus on the road.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 06:30:59 PM »
Hey sabates,
Glad to hear another guy is hooked on crack. And glad you are bringing back to life a bus that many of the guys on this site knew, and obviously respected, the previous owner. I think they are right. We just get to care for the bus for a short time. I keep worrying that a texter will slam into mine, it will catch fire, or a meteor will hit it. Three guys had it before me and they did none of the above. I am guessing by now you know the ones who have torn buses apart, can fix them with wire and gum, and the guys like me who love their bus - but as far as technical advice, I'm one of the " Your village called...you can stay as long as you like" bus nuts.
These guys are great. They talked me through how to tighten my very loose steering, talked me back on the road twice on long trips when the bus said "ni night". If you are willing to try, they are willing to help. It is an invaluable collection of good guys.
I look forward to learning from the questions you will ask them.
Welcome aboard.
1980 shorty (35') Prevost
6V92  HT 740
Lake Nottely Ga
Bus name "debt"
Education is important, but having a Bus is importanter...