Author Topic: How can I vent an over the range microwave?  (Read 7257 times)

belfert

How can I vent an over the range microwave?
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:52:43 PM »
I bought an over the range microwave for my bus, but I'm not sure how to vent it through the roof.  What type of cover could I use on the roof that won't stick out like a vent on a house does?

I can't really go through the wall as I don't plan to cover the windows due to time and lack of metalworking skills.  I also don't like how easily the RV range vent covers break.

Brian Elfert

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: How can I vent an over the range microwave?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »
Brian,

I installed a RV refrig. roof termination kit for my conv. microwave. It is a two piece plastic set, a roof riser, and a cap.

Mabe you can see it in this horrable photo of the black monster! It's the one closest to you, near the edge.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

belfert

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »
I installed a RV refrig. roof termination kit for my conv. microwave. It is a two piece plastic set, a roof riser, and a cap.

Does a fridge vent have enough air flow so the exhaust on the microwave works properly?  A fridge vent is normally for a slow convection venting of heat.  This sounds like a good idea.

Fridge vents are usually installed parallel to the length of the RV like on your bus.  Do you think installing one perpendicular to the length of the bus will cause problems with it blowing off?

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:25:56 PM »
Brian,

The refrig. vent is about twice the size of the microwave vent, more than enough!!

As far as sideways, I'm not sure they were designed to go that way!

Good Luck-

Nick-
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:28:32 PM »
The GE convectiopn oven and microwave I installed has  a provision where you install an additioanl filter, and it vents out the front.  It does not require a vent outside.  Does yours have the same  provision?
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:36:11 PM »
Jim,

My Dometic Convection Micro Has that feature too. But I choose to vent the cook air because I have a Ultrasuede Headliner.

Just didn't want any lingering smell from cooking.

Nick-

belfert

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »
The GE convectiopn oven and microwave I installed has  a provision where you install an additioanl filter, and it vents out the front.  It does not require a vent outside.  Does yours have the same  provision?

The microwave I bought has this feature, but I want the cooking smells out of the bus.  One apartment with the microwave set up that way was enough for me.

Brian Elfert

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:21:50 AM »
I have a GE Profile Micro/convection oven over a KitchenAid 2-burner gas cooktop and I vented the micro/conv oven out the bottom of the floor into the fuel bay.  What I did was make my own plenum to attach 4" aluminum flex tubing down and out from the oven to a hole in the floor that has a screen on it in the bay.  The vent works so well I can turn on both burners and all the heat and cooking odors get drawn out the bus.  I did not want to cut a hole in the roof.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal