Author Topic: Priorities  (Read 6686 times)

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
Priorities
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:38:43 PM »
Well, it's official... :'(

Today, my darling wife said she wants to buy a house before I can get another bus...

I can't understand women.

I told her my only stipulation is that I want a house with some land so I can build a BUS BARN ;D

She said, "maybe we can buy a little house in the country and have some horses!"

Her mood soured when I said, "HORSES?  THE ONLY HORSES I WANT ARE PAINTED DETROIT GREEN!"

Women, can't live with them and they won't let you live without them.
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

skipn

Re: Priorities
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »

Cheer up it is a matter of perspective I bought my bus because of horses. After 15 years of hauling down the road with a class C it came time to replace the old girl (class c that is). Now when we go to horse things I have my bus to hide in and play with and trust me everybody is much happier. Put a hitch on and take her all over the country. You get to do your bus thing,  she gets the pony and of coarse you'll be thought of as such a wonderful understanding fellow.

Skip

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »

Cheer up it is a matter of perspective I bought my bus because of horses. After 15 years of hauling down the road with a class C it came time to replace the old girl (class c that is). Now when we go to horse things I have my bus to hide in and play with and trust me everybody is much happier. Put a hitch on and take her all over the country. You get to do your bus thing,  she gets the pony and of coarse you'll be thought of as such a wonderful understanding fellow.

Skip

Skip,  Do you pull a horse trailer with the bus?  We no longer do horse shows but always hauled the trailer with another truck because I was concerned about the 4104 exhaust (and oil) getting into the horse trailer. Of course, it was always more convenient to have another vehicle available anyway.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

skipn

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:51:50 AM »

Len,
  This will be the first year hauling. It won't be any worse than my diesel pickup black smoke or my class C or v10 pickup gas engines which is a lot more toxic to me than diesel. Since I am running a cummins L10 there better not be any oil or this winter it will be rebuild time. The driver side of the horse trailer is closed and the passenger side is open. (slant load) From that stand point it will be better because the other rigs exhaust on the passenger side my bus exhaust is on the drivers side.
Historically when we show up some where we are usually the cook shack and a cooler place to get out of the heat for all of our friends (usually 15+). Now there will be a lot more room and comfort for all.

BrojCol,
    I didn't really explain advantaages for you.
    1. If you have horses you will need some place to store the hay. A 40X60 Quanset works great Hay on the side that is basically unusable and plenty of room in the center for your bus and tools.
    2. Since you said "another bus" I would imagine that you didn't design your #1 bus for horse stuff. So of coarse you will need another bus designed to handle the horse stuff. The needs and considerations are different than standard fair.

Skip

Offline Len Silva

• Leonard Studio
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:00:45 AM »
The Cummins explains everything!
Back in the day, I wanted to convert a BlueBird All American (front engine) to a combo horse hauler/living quarters.  Even bought the bus but changed our mind as circumstances changed.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

skipn

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »

Len,
   I always thought it would be a great idea to take a 60 ft articulating and have the back 10 feet for the horse stalls and 50 ft minus art. area for living quarters. Just think heat and air conditioning for the ponies. Now that would be stylen.

Skip

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
And think of all that "fresh" air they could supply to your living area. although some love that smell of fresh country air, and to some women its almost an aphrodisiac.  Might be worth it.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »
Whilst 'coach conversions' are almost unheard of here in the UK, there are lots and lots of coachbuilt horseboxes with luxury motorhome interiors. A coach with a 'garage' for a horse, boat, car or whatever seems like a pretty sound idea to me.

Jeremy

Only a small picture of this last one, but looks like Skip's dream articulated unit

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

skipn

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »

Jim,
     Now your just taunting me, I did chuckle on that concept.
  Jeremy,
     For some reason "coachbuilt horseboxes" have never really caught on here. Watch "National Velvet" again and see the rickity thing they put Pie in.
     In those days from what I have been told horse trailers were unheard of over there. The S&S world does build a garage style with a mid engine config.

Brojcol,
     We may be having fun dreaming but hopefully this has at least sparked some interest for you.

Skip

Offline Len Silva

• Leonard Studio
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:35:35 AM »
The more I learned about horses, the more I wanted a motorcycle!

Len

Hand Made Gifts

skipn

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »

Len,

I can understand that fully but seeing the joy my wife, daughters, and already planning for my granddaughter have being around the hay burners is something I'm blessed in being a part of. Plus I got the bus and already looking at a buffalo just incase my current chariot isn't enough.

Now that's nuts.

Skip

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal