Author Topic: New Year's Eve - Houston to Des Moines...  (Read 46 times)

Offline mqbus767

New Year's Eve - Houston to Des Moines...
« on: February 23, 2024, 08:48:00 PM »
It's been almost two months, but I thought I'd go ahead and log this trip in the books.

We surprised the kids last Christmas with a trip to see their friends in Des Moines and wanted to take the bus up there. I worked pretty hard the last few weeks of the year to get things ready inclduing adding a diesel air heater, building some fold out tables, drawer handles, and some more painting.

Two days after Christmas we fired up the bus and pointed it North. Everything went pretty well until my son said he heard a metalic clanking in the rear of the bus. I pulled over and investigated. I thought the noise was coming from some loose items in the rear bay, but a few more miles down the road and my son said he still heard it. This time I checked a little more closley and found that one of the shocks had lost a bushing. The clanking was coming from the eye ring hitting the stud.

We started looking for a replacement shock and I considered my options as we slowly headed towards Oklahoma City. It was late at night, so we pulled into a very crowded Loves and went to sleep. The next day I found that the shocks were nearly impossible to find locally and because of the holidays shipping was beginning to shutdown.

Long story short, we wound up setting up camp in an RV park in Oklahoma City waiting on parts. I don't know if I could have made it the rest of the way, but I just didn't want to chance it. I think everyone was a bit down, but we were rolling with the punches.

Then on Dec. 28th we got a call from our friends in Des Moines saying they were packing their RV and heading our way. They met us at the park with supplies and lots of encouragement. While none of us wanted to be in Oklahoma City for the New Year's, we had a great time hanging out and running at a slower pace.

Eventually the shocks arrived in Oklahoma and we had a local shop (MORA Services LLC. [918-888-9210]) install them. It was an adventure and we learned a ton about the bus and operating in colder temperatures. It was also the first time we've take the bus more than 35 miles from home. All in all, lots of fun and memories.

Oh, and the low fuel tell tale doesn't work on the bus. Ask me how I know that. ;)

Offline BusNit

Re: New Year's Eve - Houston to Des Moines...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 06:37:33 AM »
Looks like you made the best of it and still made great memories! I'd say it was a great success!
--Simon

1993 Newell 44’

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal