Author Topic: Are any of the TES-295 ATF fluids less expensive than Allison Transynd?  (Read 16964 times)

belfert

Allison recommends the use of Transynd ATF or a TES-295 approved ATF in the B500 and other World Transmissions.  Anybody know of any TES-295 ATF that is less money than Transynd?  I only found pricing for Amsoil's ATF that is more expensive than Transynd.  I would never buy anything from Amsoil just because of the (over)marketing.  I suspect the other CES-295 ATFs are only available from lubrication distributor which generally means expensive.

Is the B500 in a bus usually equipped with the shallow or deep pan?  I'm not looking forward to paying for 40 quarts or more of Transynd, but I also don't want to change Dexron III once a year either.

Brian

belfert

I know about all of these alternatives.  The problem is I can't find any prices so I have no idea if they are any less money than the Allison Transynd.  I suspect the majority would need to be purchased from a oil/lubrication distributor.

I am wondering if anyone else has ever done any research into these alternatives.

Brian Elfert

Offline Merlin-PV

ams-oil makes a product called torque drive better specs. 1/2 the price

Offline TomC

Personally- if I had the B500 in my bus I would NOT run it.  Transynd is made for harsh and high mileage users, of which we don't come under.  With conventional ATF you can do 25,000 miles before changing.  Like other oils you can have it analyzed to see if you need to change it then.  I don't think you'll get the full advantage of the Transynd in how it was meant to be used.  I personally am using Pep Boys brand ATF that has Dexron III approval cross over listed on it.  If you like to pay the price of the Transynd, go ahead and use it.  But I just think it is a waste of money for the type of driving we do.
The B500 is the HD4060 or 4000HS as it is called now with a shallow pan.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

belfert

ams-oil makes a product called torque drive better specs. 1/2 the price

Unfortunately, the Amsoil store shows this product costing about $5 a gallon more than Transynd.

Brian Elfert

belfert

TomC, the big win with Transynd is the extended drain intervals in years.  The extra mileage isn't an issue.  Dexron III needs to be changed every 12 months while Transynd is every 3 or 4 years after the second fill of Transynd.

I could change the ATF myself, but disposal is a problem since the B500 uses 10 gallons of ATF.  If I have to pay for ATF changes, the Transynd would probably pay for itself.

I had a heck of time disposing of 10 to 15 gallons of antifreeze and I don't really want to go through that again with 10 gallons of ATF.

Brian

Offline NJT 5573

Belfort, You don't have to dispose of used ATF. A couple quarts to 100gal of fuel keeps the injectors clean.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline Sam 4106

Hi Brian,
You might want to check with Ed Baumer. He is an oil distributor in, I think Bloomington, and also a member of Midwest Bus Nuts. He may have an ATF comparable to what you are looking for. I think he will also take your used oil since he heats his shop with waste oil. He is semi-retired so it might be best to try his buissness cell number 612-868-4720 or, his home cell number is 320-693-0147.

I agree with Tom C that with the few miles we put on our buses it wouldn't make sense to change oil as often as recomended.

Best wishes, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline edroelle

• 1998 Royale Prevost
Brian,

I had the same concern as you did and tried to find a less expensive alternative to Transynd.  I was not able to find one.  The Allison 740 transmission is a stonger, more durable transmission than the B500.   

I was able to locate and talk with the Allison engineer that developed the Transynd fluid.  After discussing our type of use, as motorhomes, I bit the bullet and paid the outrageous price. 

Yes, we probably will not need the added lubricity and we probably will not overheat the transmission fluid.  B500s are expensive to repair or replace.  Owning a good insurance policy has saved me from major financial problems.  I consider the Transynd an insurance policy against problems.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Offline lesrMC9

Re: Are any of the TES-295 ATF fluids less expensive than Allison Transynd?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 07:11:36 PM »
Hey Guys;
have you seen the thread on BNO by buellhans about transsynd: the big thing for us as owners is that this oil keeps the tranny about 40 deg cooler, the time or distance is a mute subject for us.
The rumor I have heard is that Esso will bring out a similar oil at about 60% $$ of Transsynd.
Les R

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 10:26:07 PM »
Belfert- the first time I changed my trans oil on my V730 was last year, and that was 12 years after buying the bus.  I had the trans fluid analyzed and they said I could reuse it the way it was.  I also go 2-3 years on an oil change, by also doing an oil analysis.  $35.00 is a whole lot cheaper than too often oil changes.  Most RVer's will typically change the oil too often. 
The comment of the Transynd lowering the trans temp is very true.  On new trucks, the only way to get an Allison extended warranty is to use the Transynd.  Normal oil change on the 4000 series of trans is to change the oil filter at 50,000 miles and change both the oil and oil filters at 100,000 miles.  How may years of driving do you think it will take to accumulate 100,000 miles of our driving style?  With mine-about 15 years.  You have to remember that even though it is synthetic oil (which is still a patroleum product, but re-engineered by the oil companies for better uniformity) it still can collect acids, water, contaminates that will destroy the transmission.  Once again, periodically have your oil analyzed.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Sammy

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 07:36:42 AM »
We use another Allison approved brand of synthetic trans oil . It's made by BP.
Don't know what a 55 gal drum costs. See Dallas' previous post for approved fluids.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal