Author Topic: TOW HITCH FOR MCI-9  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Busnut83

TOW HITCH FOR MCI-9
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:08:17 AM »
I found pre made hitch for mc-9 ... I am not selling these... but some of us that said they dont have pre-made hitches there are....

Offline tekebird

Re: TOW HITCH FOR MCI-9
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »
share the info......don't tease

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 12:16:17 PM »
He probably can't, as they obviously cost over $50.

Maybe he'll post it on the BNO.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline gr8njt

• MCI-9 Crusader II
    • Bus Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 12:24:07 PM »
Busnut83 should be able to post the link because:
1. Busnut83 is NOT the seller (assuming he has NO financial gain in the sale)
2. MAK is NOT selling pre-made hitches for the MCI-9 making it a non-compete sale
3. This board is for "helping other busnuts", correct?

****1982 MCI-9 Crusader-II Bus Conversion****
R&M 102 C-3 style Front & Rear cap with louver kit
smooth side kit, dash-board kit, one piece siding

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 05:46:01 PM »
Are we missing the link or am I missing the joke? ???
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Busnut83

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 06:54:29 PM »
Yes they do cost 6xthat ....
I am purchasing one for my 9 and the guy has 4 more just laying around...

I will see if he will post in the classifieds or see if I can give his number if there is an interest...

I ask for help and suggestions on this board and I am now confused by its doooos and if okays???????????

(he cant doooo but its ok if he dooooos)))

Offline Nickless

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 06:59:39 PM »
I sure wish someone would post where this could be obtained. I really need one and seems that it is a massive secret.

cody

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 08:32:10 AM »
What I did when I was looking for a receiver for my eagle was to contact a local charter company, they buy used buses and put them on the road for charter use.  The receiver on an MCI that they had bought served no purpose for them, they said they just remove them and discard them, they gave one to me and I had it modified by a welding shop to fit my eagle and it works great, the total cost was about $150 to have it modified and fitted.  The only change that I would do if I did it again would be to have it mounted offset to the drivers side instead of centered.  I saw a bus with it about a foot off center and the owner said it makes a world of difference in cornering by making the toad track further out and he said it tows the same as if it were centered but corners better than it did before he offset it.

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 10:22:08 AM »
Busnut 83

Any new information yet on the hitch for the 9?

I sure would like to see what they have come up with.

Thanks

Grant
Sacramento
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Hartley

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »
Too Many Cooks in the kitchen again....
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline skihor

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »
Sorry if this is a thread hi-jack but... Regarding mounting the hitch to one side. I once had a pickup with two holes in the bumper. So I put a 1 7/8" in one hole and a 2" in the other hole. The holes were only about 6" apart which means each ball was approx. 3" off center. I was towing a 21' day cruiser to Tahoe via Reno. While coming down the grade from Carson over to Tahoe I had to brake hard several times. That boat tried to push me (the rear of the truck) right out of the way on right hand turns. It wasn't nearly as bad on left turns. The ball in this case was on the left of center. 
 Under hard braking there was a definite different effect, (on the truck), between a left turn or right turn
 I know a bus weighs alot more and it would take alot of force to overcome that weight, BUT, I would NEVER EVER have a hitch mounted off center.
There are too many other safer ways to keep tabs on your toad.

Don & Sheila

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 06:23:38 AM »
Did that boat trailer have brakes?  It probably should have.  Another issue is that 21' boats are generally pretty heavy.  Putting braking force on the bumper, centered or not, is putting maximum torque (if that's the correct word to use) towards the very end of the truck instead of farther forward on the frame.  It also moves the torque higher up -the bumper is higher than a class 3-4 receiver, so the traction of the truck would tend to be effected a bit more, too.  I don't have brakes on my boat trailer, as it's so old it didn't require them when manufactured, but I live near the beach and it's almost totally flat here.  I'd never pull that boat without brakes anywhere there would be hills.  I'm also assuming that many/most bus nuts have brakes on their toads (or should), especially the heavy ones.  Basically, if the towed vehicle is 'pushing' the bus or truck, something's not right.

David
Sorry if this is a thread hi-jack but... Regarding mounting the hitch to one side. I once had a pickup with two holes in the bumper. So I put a 1 7/8" in one hole and a 2" in the other hole. The holes were only about 6" apart which means each ball was approx. 3" off center. I was towing a 21' day cruiser to Tahoe via Reno. While coming down the grade from Carson over to Tahoe I had to brake hard several times. That boat tried to push me (the rear of the truck) right out of the way on right hand turns. It wasn't nearly as bad on left turns. The ball in this case was on the left of center. 
 Under hard braking there was a definite different effect, (on the truck), between a left turn or right turn
 I know a bus weighs alot more and it would take alot of force to overcome that weight, BUT, I would NEVER EVER have a hitch mounted off center.
There are too many other safer ways to keep tabs on your toad.

Don & Sheila

cody

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 06:53:33 AM »
This thread poses several questions that as a new member to the forum I have to ask.  First, when a person runs across information on a product that would be helpful to others here, such as a product that isn't available thru the ad links, how can that information be shared?  Is there a means in place for contacting interested members other than finding an email address and utilizing that so that the advertising rules are not violated?  My intention isn't to hijack the thread, just interested in the information here and trying to participate and remain within the context of the forum rules.  I have several friends with MCI's and they too are looking for hitches, as we all know, being the "red haired stepchild" of the RV industry, we often have to create our own solutions to problems that "sticks and staples" enthusists haven't had to overcome.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal