Author Topic: Full time insurance coverage  (Read 12437 times)

Offline usnabus

Full time insurance coverage
« on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:25 PM »
I have been a full timer since 1982.  During that period of time American and Fireign Insurance was my carrier through Royal and Sunalliance, now known as AON.  I was advised that Royal and Sunalliance would not renew my policy upon the expiration date of my policy since that company was no longer writing insurance in this country.  They assured me they had other carriers that would replace my current policy.  I just got off the phone with them.  They do have other carriers but the premium is three times what I was paying.  Even by reducing the coverage to actual cash value, (I previously had full time - replacement value coverage) the premium was still 50% more that I was paying.  I have never made a claim, been in an accident of received a traffic ticket since being insured with them.  I am sixty-one years old. 

Does anyone know where I can get affordable coverage?  I have a 1986 Eagle model 10, professionally converted eight years ago. 

Thanks for any suggestions,
USNABUS

Offline Merlin

• Run away before the kids come back home.
Re: Full time insurance coverage
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 05:49:10 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get affordable coverage?  I have a 1986 Eagle model 10, professionally converted eight years ago. 
Thanks for any suggestions,
USNABUS

Have you ever been in the military or are retired military?  If so, then check into USAA Ins Co.  I'm satisfied with their coverage for all of our vehicles.  Emergency road service coverage is dirt cheap too.  We have only used that once but it has saved us big bucks. We can change coverages, or add coverage for new vehicles via their web page.  Very easy ... very reasonable rates.
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 09:17:46 PM »
Welcome to the Board USNABUS!

Merlin's advice sounds good.

We use State Farm - no complaints.  Seems reasonable to us.  We use Good Sam towing Emergency Road Service.  I think about $100 p/year.  No complaints - but at the same time, we haven't had to use them yet either.   :)

Hope this helps,

Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 05:56:03 AM »
Hey Merlin,
Are you getting coverage for you bus through USAA?  I ask because 3 years ago they would not insure anything over about 30 feet in length.  I am a member with them and my insurance has always been cheaper through USAA than any where else. 
-Brian

Offline larryc

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 12:03:25 PM »
Evidently "Ever been in the military" is not correct. I just tried to apply on their website and they wouldn't accept me. I separated in 1952.
LarryC

Bus Maintenance, Parts and Operators Manuals
Coach Information Network  www.coachinfo.com

Videos and Photos from the dean of
bus photographers, Bob Redden
Redden Archives   www.reddenarchives.com

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »
Interesting.  What branch of the military were you in?  I would think that you should still be able to get a membership even though you may need to call and apply.

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
USAA is back to the membership policy of Officer or Cadet. For a few years they sought any member or prior member of the military.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline Merlin

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »
Hey Merlin,
Are you getting coverage for you bus through USAA?  I ask because 3 years ago they would not insure anything over about 30 feet in length.  I am a member with them and my insurance has always been cheaper through USAA than any where else. 
-Brian
Our bus has been covered since 2001.  At the time, I sent them a complete description so I assume they know it is 40'.  It is called a "motorhome" so as not to be confused with a passenger bus.  We've been insured with USAA since '64 back when I first entered the service right out of ROTC.  Several years back we even moved all of our financial accounts over to USAA. Do all of our banking on line now.
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 07:07:09 PM »
When I applied for coverage of my bus back in 2002 they would not insure it because of its length.  Of course, it was empty at that time.  I wonder if they have a different policy for "Motorhomes"?  I'll need to follow up on that with them.

Offline Big Tom

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 07:50:53 PM »
One thing I have found in shopping for insurance is that there is little consistency in which company is cheapest, provides best coverage features, etc.  Their plans are often difficult to compare because they often don't offer identical coverage to each other.  Premium rates are all over the place.  One or two accidents or tickets wiil not matter to one company, but will exclude you or create a ridiculously high premium with another company.  Some put a lot of weight on your credit rating, others don't.  Zip codes, even adjacent ones, can carry very different rates.

Best way is to start shopping the companies that advertise in RV magazines plus a lot of the traditional auto insurers.  Don't take someone else's experience as valid for you.  I have compared insurers and gotten opposite results from what someone else with a seemingly comparable situation got.  Just figure to spend a bunch of time on the phone.  You will find something OK eventually. 

Offline gus

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 11:55:23 PM »
Obviously USNA means you are Navy so are eligible for USAA.

I got my 4104 insured with them last June, no problems. I told them the year, model, length and year of conversion. It was already titled as a motorhome which is the key.

They also asked about the miles driven per year. There was no discussion about full timing, probably best not to mention it.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline pvcces

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 05:20:28 PM »
While we seem to have good coverage at reasonable rates with State Farm, they specifically exclude coverage for full timers. I don't know if that is a peculiarity due to being garaged (stored) in Washington. If we had a loss and we were full timing, I would not expect to be able to collect a dime from them.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline Merlin

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 05:35:46 PM »
... with State Farm, they specifically exclude coverage for full timers. ...
I'm curious.  How does State Farm define the term "full timer"?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal