Author Topic: Choice of Bus  (Read 11124 times)

Offline rahangman

Choice of Bus
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »
My wife and I are about to embark on buying our first Conversion Bus.  We have narrowed it down to a 1985 Prevost LeMirage and 1983 MC9 . These 2 buses are really quite comperable in what they  have, both happen to have been converted reight off assy line at Hoffman Bus.  My question is, with all things considered , which to choose. Yes I know it is finallly up to us, but ... we know 2 years difference, we are asking about the proffesional differences.   OK ? :-\ :D
Not lost ... just never been here before

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Re: Choice of Bus
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:10:09 PM »
Welcome to the board !

What engine does each have? 

Thanks - Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 09:17:02 PM »
Well I can't say I know anymore than you do on this. And you don't mention engines and transmissions, so I'm gonna assume a 6V92 or 8V71 and 740 auto trans. I'd go with a 6V92(if that's a chioce) and MCI only because I know more about both of them! Now I also know that this is just my personal opinion and everyone has one and ..... well you get the idea! There are others who are gonna disagree and say go with the Prevost, but like you said in the end it's yer decision. I like MCI's because parts are everywhere and just about every bus mechanic there is has worked on the tried & true MC9 so lack of knowledge shouldn't ever be a problem, not saying there would be with the Prevost. I've found that we can fix anything we set out to but with the Prevost we'd have to study things are put together before developing a plan of attack, where with the MCI's we've BTDT! Just my opinion which if ya add $3.00 to it you can buy a gallon of diesel!
:) ;) :D ;D 8)  Knuckle 8) ;D :D ;) :)
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 05:11:51 AM »
When these two buses speak to you, which one do you understand?

Listen to the buses. They'll tell you which one you should choose.

Oh, and you might want to have them both inspected by a professional for mechanical and structural integrity, also.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

belfert

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 06:42:28 AM »
The Prevost is probably going to be more expensive mainly due to the name.  I see Prevosts going for twice what an same year MCI would go for.  Now, this is for seated coaches, not conversions.  The price difference on a conversion may not be as dramatic.

Brian Elfert

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »
All else being equal, I'd opt for the Prevost, based solely on the fact that it is a 102" wide,and the MCI is 96" wide.
I hope I'm right about the width, since 1984 was the change over year for Prevost.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 09:12:27 AM »
Prevost don't cost any more to convert than an MCI. Prevost demand more money and seem to get it, because there are not as many on the market...no Prevost's in the greyhound's garage. I think they went to a wide body in the start of 1985
Ron

belfert

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 10:01:08 AM »
Prevost don't cost any more to convert than an MCI. Prevost demand more money and seem to get it, because there are not as many on the market...no Prevost's in the greyhound's garage. I think they went to a wide body in the start of 1985

You're right it won't cost any more to convert a Prevost once you have the shell.  The shell will cost mosre, but an already converted MCI and a converted Prevost done professionally probably won't be too much different in price.

Brian Elfert

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 12:14:44 PM »
Ok - just going on looks I have an MCI 102A3, however, the Prevost is very nice looking.  Everybody has talked about the under-the-hood stuff.  If I had it to do over again - I would go again with the MCI   ;D
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

JerryH

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 06:55:39 PM »
Ok - just going on looks I have an MCI 102A3, however, the Prevost is very nice looking.  Everybody has talked about the under-the-hood stuff.  If I had it to do over again - I would go again with the MCI   ;D

Actually the choices were MC-9 and a Prevost.  I'd submit this ... the Prevost probably has better "curb appeal", while the MCI is probabyl more user-friendly over a larger geographical area.  There are so many MCI's on the road, you should have no problem finding service and parts almost anywhere.

Good luck in your choice!
Jerry H.

Offline jlaney

• prevost one
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 07:31:08 PM »
hello from tyler tx
i had a choice of a mci and prevost and setting side by side the prevost out shines the mci
so i took the prevost which is an 80 le mirage with slick sides which came off central texas
tour lines
j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 08:51:36 PM »
An MCI is so much easier to work on.  More stainless, less rust.  Many more used and new parts at much lower prices. 
The Prevost is clearly better looking.   Get someone with Prevost experience to evaluate the bus for rust.  They will rust up big time.   So will an MCI...but not to the degree of a Prevost or Eagle.   You want a qualified mechanic to look at any bus you buy.  $ooooo much can go wrong!  This will be compounded if you're not a good mechanic.   
102" MCIs go back to about '86.  I've got a '87 MC9 that is 96" and don't have any issues at all with the width.  'Course my wife and I aren't  very big. 
Prevost has some really gorgous windows!    But, most value is going to be in an MCI.   If money ain't no issue, DO IT!  ;)    You'll enjoy either one you buy. 
Most MCIs in the miiddle 80s had 6V92TA DD and Allison HT740 automatic trans.   You want an automatic.    Better than the 8V71NA that was found in some buses of those years.   
This fuel keep rising and you'll find all sorts of deals!  Soon!
Best, JR 
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 07:07:54 PM »
Rahangman, Are you looking at the ones at Hoffmans yard?  If so the one has been for sale for a while.  Please don't tell them i said so, the Hoffman boys are supper nice.  They do have a pit there also and I would think they would put it over it for you. I have been told all Prevost parts are big bucks,  much more so than MCI. Are you from this area?  I travel by there a few times a week. Really good people and willing to help.  Good luck Tom Y 
Tom Yaegle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal