Author Topic: Dinette Booth Measurements/ Plans  (Read 20691 times)

Offline YeomansEagle

Dinette Booth Measurements/ Plans
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:49:04 PM »
I've started back to work on the bus after taking a little break to gather my thoughts. I was wondering if anyone has built their own dinette booth. If so would you mind sharing your knowledge with me. I know you can buy the table tops and cushions @ fair price on Ebay. But for the framing measurements I need a little help. Any help would be appreciated.

Leonard 
Who the Son sets free is free indeed.

Offline Hartley

Re: Dinette Booth Measurements/ Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:53:33 PM »
Me too...

Been thinking along the same lines, Just can't seem to locate any plans
that are usable in the bus yet.
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »
  I intend to build mine. So if you find any, I would like to know, or get a copy of the plans.

I want something a little bigger than the standard sizes I've seen listed.  I would like to have one at least 78".

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline Busnut83

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 07:19:03 PM »
FYI funtime rv in texas sells take outs starting at 100.00 with the tables ....

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 04:52:34 AM »
We built our dinette. We purchased the cushions first and built the dinette to fit the cushions. We made the table top width and the space between the both seat units the same dimension as the height of BOTH backrest cushions. This way the table top lays on a  a 1x2 oak runner on each side and the back rest cushions fill the gap between the seat cushions when using it as a bed. Bed is for grandkids, bus is designed for "Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, and Sleeps 2"  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Dallas

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:39:37 AM »
Leonard,
In our 4103 we decided to get rid of the existing dinette set for a couple of reasons.
First, we full time in less than 35' of space, so every cubic inch is precious. We decided wooden TV trays made better sense for us.
Next, The dinette that was in here, although being well built in the late 60's, had pretty much seen it's better days and really needed replacement.
The third thing that swayed us to get rid of it was that the back of the dinette were built straight up and down with no angle at all. This made it uncomfortable after sitting for a short time.
When you do build your dinette set, let me suggest you put a 5° or 6° tilt to the seat and the back.... your body will thank you later.

On another note toward design, you could download a free copy of "Sketchup" from Google and use it to design your own.
I recommend this one because it's got to be the easiest software I've ever used for designing in the bus.
There is a learning curve, but it isn't nearly as steep as trying to learn any of the CAD programs.

To get good measurements, you could visit local RV dealers with a tape measure and digital camera in your pocket, or even look in the newspaper and visit some of the RV for Sale want ads.  :D

Good luck,

Dallas
Go Bussing!

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:06:10 AM »
I built my own queen size sleeper/sofa and dinette.  My bus is a 102" wide and took advantage of that.  The overall dimensions of the dinette is 78" x 42", then one large adult or two smaller can sleep there.  I elevated the foot space under the table by 6 inches (also the seat height) so I could fit my Norcold 100# chest reefer/freezer under the rear seat-since the radiator part of the unit was on the right side-I just kept that end of the seat cabinet open for cooling purposes.  I bought the hardware for the fold down table (the support at the wall, folding leg at the opposite end) at an RV store and made the table top out of the 3/4" Birch covered furniture grade plywood I was using for the rest of the cabinets.  I glued an extra piece (2" wide) around the edge, so the edge of the table top was 1.5" thick.  The top was glossy Verithaned, and I put formica type around the edge.  The cushions are 5" thick dense foam (not high density-too stiff).  I'm 300lb and is still comfortable to sit on after 11 years.  The back cushions are 90 degrees to the seat cushions-might consider using a foam wedge to give the backs some tilt-but doesn't bother us.  The converting takes less than a minute-the table folds down in between the two seat bases supported by 2x4's (everything is built to 300lb standards)-then the backs are dimensioned to fit over the table.  Several people (including me to first test it out) have slept on it, and all have said it is comfortable.  Just have to experiment to find out the cushion size that will work for you.
Very quickly-my sleeper/sofa is 80"x60" when open.  The base is 80" x 30" (foam glued to 3/4" plywood base) and the rear cushions are 80" x 15" times 2 folded over with a piece of vinyl holding it together.  To convert, you pull the base out (has two plywood legs on the front with a 2x4 on the front edge of the base that the pull out platform rests on-travel limited by small cables set to restrict the base from going too far) then fold down the rear to fill the space.  Takes less than a minute to convert-then either use standard 80 x 60 queen sheets, or just a sleeping bag.  If only one is sleeping in it, just remove the rear cushions for a single bed.  These cushions are 6 inches thick.  Good Luck, TomC 
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »
Lenoard

I too am thinking of building my own booth however I do not plan to use it as a bunk also.  I am planning an L shaped booth with the long part along the outside wall just so we don't have to use the moveable chairs.

I am also building the booth so I will have the storage area under the seats.

I have not decided yet if the table will be movable or secured to the floor.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 09:15:30 AM »
Hey Jack and Tom,
  Any chance you guys would have pix we could go see??? Or could you post them?? 
  I too, am looking at building this. I kind of have an idea in mind where I have a couch, then pull a section of the cushion off and then lift the base up for the table top, AND THEN, be able to either pull the base out and lay the back down or pull the back off and insert in the front of the couch with legs and then have a wider bed. And still do all this with a slight taper down on the seat as well as a slight taper on the back rest for comfort while riding.
                              Make sense?????????????    ::)   ;D
  I know it may seem to be a bit of an undertaking, but that's what makes it fun!!  :) I have a welding and fab shop and am getting better at wood so I think I can make this all happen. Oh, and to top it off, storage underneath.
   So any pix would be really good reference.
   Oh, and thanx Dallas for that tip on Sketchup. I downloaded and may try it! Otherwise, I still like my pencil and paper.  ;)

Gettin comfortable,
             Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline JimC

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 09:59:04 AM »
We bought a set of dinette seats while in Elkhart 2 years ago from one of the salvage places. The seats jack knife just like most sofas, that way I lift the table, and set it on the floor, pull up on the seat base's and we have an instant bed large enough for two. the cushions are more comfortable than most that you set on top of the table. We recovered the seats with material to match the couch, and best of all it bolted onto the wall and the floor making it very simple.

Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »
My coach did not have a dinette, and we liked that arrangement very much. We did have a fold out couch to make a temporary bed.
We had a hinged, fold down table top about 30 inches wide and 36 inches deep that was mounted on the wall directly behind the passenger seat. A barrel chair behind this provided the seat for the second person. We also had a slideout shelf and two folding chairs that could be used for company, but we seldom used it. We preferred the picnic table and chairs outside.
Never ever missed having the dinette.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Jerry Liebler

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 10:32:04 AM »
Leanord,
     I built my booth to overcome the objection that Dallas mentioned above (uncomfortable vertical backs on the seats)  and take a bit less space than full time angled seat backs would.  I have the backs hinged at their vertical center so they are angled for sitting and vertical for sleeping.  My booth is 36" wide, the seat cushions are 17"x36"x4" and, the seat back cushions are 19"x36"x4".  I used foam with an ILD of 55 for the cushions and had an upholstery shop make the covers out of fabric my wife chose. The benches under the seats are 13"  above the floor under the cushion.  My seat back tops  are 5" from vertical in the angled positions.  The table is sized  and the benches positioned so the cushions fill the area in the 'sleeping' position.  This results in a 72" x36" sleep surface which is very close to a 'twin' bed size.  Like all the other woodwork in my bus the dinette is built out of hard maple and maple veneer plywood.  I used 3/4" for the seat tops and table and 1/4", in  3/4'x 1 1/2" maple frames for the vertical parts of the benches and the seat backs.  I've laid on it as a bed but not slept on it and it feels fine.  The seating is much more comfortable than any other 'motorhome'  dinette I've sat in.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Offline Jerry Liebler

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »
Leanord,
    One more detail.  I hinged the tops of the benches so I have 2 very nice sized 'toy chests' to store miscelleneous 'stuff''.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 05:06:51 PM »
Jim C, Can you post a picture ? Which place did you buy them at? Cost? I had somthing like that in my Travco and I would like to find the same.  Thanks Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »
   Here's a link to a surplus house that had a few dinettes the last time I looked.  Their stock changes a lot.

http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/index.php

HTH ED.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal