Author Topic: Sticks & staples  (Read 5627 times)

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
Sticks & staples
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:41:13 PM »
Sticks & staples help.
Off topic, not for sale, post what ever.
>
Ok guys help.
I have had my sticks & staples unit up for sale for some time now.
I had a lot of lookers but no buyers?
Tonight I got a fish on the hook that is really interested in purchasing this production unit.
I’m trying to think of all the positives, but after starting a conversion I can’t find any with any production unit?
He has been upgrading from motorhome to motorhome, and this is an upgrade for him.
I showed him the unit, told him the history, gave him the run down, He and his wife really liked it.
Then all the sudden they both asked me at the same time, ”Why are you building your own camper?”
Well I just stood there dumb founded, and my wife said because all campers are designed by men.
This guy’s wife totally agreed and the subject changed to how bad production units are laid out (wow that saved my a__).
At this point I can probably talk this guy in to starting a bus conversion, but I really want to sell this “unit”.
Now I really feel like a used car salesman?
I know that this unit is in sound mechanical shape, and everything works, but I just can’t see it being worth what NADA & Kelly say.
It’s losing about a grand a year and I really what to dump it.
By dumping it I will have to finish my conversion.
Right now it is just to easy to jump in the unit and go (rather than plywood tenting).
Sorry guys I just feel weird and don’t know what I’m asking of you all, I guess that I’m just venting.
I will post this both on BNO and Mak to see what you all think.
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

JerryH

Re: Sticks & staples
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:04:47 PM »
Well ... I'd submit this.  If you "want" to sell your RV, then show it somewhere where your bus conversion isn't within eyes sight.  You're going to get the questions of why are you converting a bus.  You're now (possibly) creating doubt in a potential buyer.  Agree to meet with the unit at a local shopping center -- or buy a big sheet to cover your bus.  Don't feel like a used car salesman.

Otherwise, you can use your RV as the poster camper as why to do or buy a conversion.  Heck of an investment on your part for such endeavor.

Sell it -- move on.

Jerry H.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 09:02:51 PM »
My 2 cents -

no need to feel strange about anything.  I went through the same thing.  All folks asked - WHY?  Why selling?  Why buying a bus?

I told them that I loved the buses.  Always had.  I enjoy just being around them.  Lots of cool projects to work on and enjoy.  I may have even told one or two prospects that I like the "big commercial vehicle" aspect as well.

Most RV buyers are kind of scared of the whole conversion thing.  Bus conversions are not for everybody.   

Usually my prospective buyers asked a lot of questions about the bus - but then moved back to the RV.

Our final buyers didn't want something as big as a bus. 

IF the buyer is so tentative to not know what they want at this point - bus vs. RV, then they may not follow through with the sale anyways.

And as Knuckle would say "that and $3.07 will get you a gallon of fuel".

Hope this helps, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline phil4501

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 10:17:10 PM »
If he is looking and ready to buy, then he obviously has need of a motorhome now. He can start his conversion next year, get the wife hooked on the idea of camping now. It doesn't hurt to spend some time in a sticks and staples,  just to get a feel for what you want in a coach. That is what my family did, of course it only took a few months.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 05:54:02 AM »
Ok, first off, you're too honest!  Get over it! You're not here to educate him, you're here to sell him a perfectly good sticks and ... err.. motorhome!

Now, when someone asks you why you're building your own conversion, just look them in the eye, twitch your head a little, and give them your best Jack Nicholson impression and say, "Cause I'm nuts!"

Or you could tell them the truth, and say, "Because I can!".

Or you could lie a little, "For the challenge."

Or how about, "It relaxes me."

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:11:58 AM »
I'll chime in with $.02 since thats all I have> :D

You could say:
- I've had the RV and though I loved it,  I wanted the challenge of building my own.
- It's a hobby.
- Always wanted to build my dream RV.
- Not sure what I was thinking when I got into this.  It defeats the relaxation intent!
- I have more time than I have sense.
- Starting a rock and roll band and needed to carry more equipment and groupies! ;D
- Midlife crisis.

Most RV purchaser I would assume aren't looking for a big challenge or more work like that.

Again, Add $3 for fuel or $4 for  a cup of coffee ???
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:52:49 PM »
Building and owning a bus conversion is a full contact sport.  Most people are not up to it.  It look easy when someone else does it, I admit (like watching Norm Abram build a wardrobe in 30 minutes).  Just because we are a little over the horizon in our RV habits does not mean that most RV buyers are.  Represent the RV you have truthfully and if asked about your bus habit, tell them you enjoy building and working on a variety of technologies, and the bus is your journeyman project!
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 03:08:56 PM »
----->CUT
Now, when someone asks you why you're building your own conversion, just look them in the eye, twitch your head a little, and give them your best Jack Nicholson impression and say, "Cause I'm nuts!"
----->CUT

I like this one the best -  ;D  At least it's honest.   :D

Best Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

DrDave

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 05:05:33 PM »
Just tell them stuff bounces off buses better..
and if you ever need to ram your way through somewhere you want some mass...

Remember that segment on COPS when the guy stole the tour bus and was skidding around
and swapping ends, crushing signs, cars and anything else in his way....

But the guy with the military tank was much better at it...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal