Author Topic: Window screen solutions needed.  (Read 4807 times)

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
Window screen solutions needed.
« on: April 14, 2007, 10:00:07 PM »
Well, it is going to start warming up soon, and i want to be able to open the windows without the bus filling up with bugs. What have you done to attach screens? Inside or outside? Permanent or removable? Appreciate all your ideas.
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Sojourner

Re: Window screen solutions needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 03:29:01 AM »
Velcro it.....Black, White, Beige, Light Grey...other colors available.
Search Google & Ebay for your needs.

You can sew it onto screen.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 04:22:43 AM »
Very interesting idea Jerry,

We are going to order the RV windows at some point, but until then, I think I would like to try a shot at these velcro-attached window screens.  I'm assuming you just find the nylon screen material, then adhesive or somehow stick the velcro onto the window frames.  Then glue the nylon screen to the other side of the velcro and PRESTO!!

I like it!  And - it costs less than $500 per window.   :D

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:08:05 AM »
We are getting RV type windows also later on but, for now, PO installed velcro screens which work pretty well. If you make your own, do yourself a favor & allow a tiny bit extra around the edges. It doesn't look as nice but it really helps in making sure the velcro "sticks" all the way around.

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
Hi Jphn Z,
We have screens on the outside of our original 4106 windows. We opened the window until it was horizontal, proped it up with a two by four, laid aluminum screen on the open window, trimed the screen about 1" larger than the overall size of the window, notched the screen at the hinges,  wraped the 1" extra screen around the rubber weatherstriping, and closed the window. The screens have been on for many years simply heald by the friction between the weatherstriping and the window frame. This method allows both forward and rear sliders to open without having to unhook anything from the inside. We used natural color aluminum screen and still have all of the aluminum trim pieces between the windows so the screen blends right in.
Good luck with whatever method you use. Sam 4106, La Crescent, MN
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline ChuckMC9

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 12:09:33 PM »
Mine is similar to the velcro idea except I use those magnetic strips you can get in a roll. (On the inside) It's not dirt cheap, but not altogether bad compared to replacing the windows. Plus it's kinda fun when they 'snick' into place! So far I have not made any frames, they just stay rolled up when not in use and go up very quickly when ready to use. On some windows I leave them there all the time. The bottom is tricky with the latches, and I haven't worked out the final solution, but hey it's good enough for now.

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 07:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I think i am going to try it by attaching the screen on the outside in the manner Sam describes. I like the idea of just being able to open the windows at any time and having the screens always there. Thanks again everyone!
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
I think Sam’s solution is a great idea. Sam post some photos if you can, I would like to see how it looks. If my bus didn’t already have peninsula windows in it I would defiantly try to use the screen-over solution.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline gus

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »
Magnets don't work on old GMs, almost everything is aluminum!!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Dallas

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 03:02:44 AM »
I used the magnet idea on my windshield privacy screens, except I used the magnetic strips out of old refrigerator seals.
They seemed to be stronger than the roll of magnetic tape I bought at the craft store as well as being narrower, (more narrow?).
I used Reflectix for the screens themselves and covered the outer portion with cloth to give a nicer appearance. In between the cloth and the reflectix I used contact cement to apply the magnets, after that was done, I attached the outer magnets to the inner magnets, (to keep the polarity oriented correctly --- Very important! no, don't ask how I know!), and aligned then on the metal around the inside of the windshield. After that, I used contact cement to attach the magnets to the metal.

Oh, and another reason I used refrigerator seal magnets..... They are free at many scrap yards or wherever there is an old fridge laying around. The magnet will slide right out of the rubber seal once you cut it free of the fridge itself.
Each fridge will yield 12'-16' of magnetic strip.

IHTH
Dallas

Offline ChuckMC9

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 07:21:50 AM »
Magnets don't work on old GMs, almost everything is aluminum!!
No, you use both the positve and the negative - one polarity stuck to the inside, around the windows, and the other polarity on the screen itself. The windowframe could be wood - it doesn't matter when you use both polarities. They come in several strengths. I found mine on eBay from a local seller. I went over there and he showed me an amazing selection of strengths and widths. But it wasn't cheap - about $100 for all I needed. I think I used 50' of each polarity.

But Sam's idea sounds pretty keen - I wouldn't have thought that would have worked - if I'd a'thought of it you can bet I would have done that first! I'm all for the simplest solution! :) The Reefer magnets ain't a bad idea either.

And Dallas I know what you mean about doublechecking polarity, don't ask me how I know that either! :)

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
Another, somewhat complex, solution for GMC owners:

Get old window frames from a donor coach.  Slice the frames in half longitudinally, giving you two frames from one.  Wrap and secure screen material around these 1/2 frames, then attach to existing coach window frames with short screws, making sure you don't get into the slider tracks.  Allows you to still prop open the windows if necessary, yet provides screened openings too.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 11:37:16 AM »
Hi Barn Owl,
The idea for the screen method I used did not originate with me and I can't remember who I "borrowed" the idea from to give them credit. Sorry, I can't provide pictures since I have neither a digital camera or scanner. In addition, I wouldn't have a clue of how to post pictures here anyway.
We are founding members of Midweast Bus Nuts and I have gotten a lot of ideas from other members. There are advantages to being a member of a club besides all the social activities and good food. I look forward to the upcoming rally season.
Best wishes, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal