Author Topic: Bus vs Motel  (Read 12814 times)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: Bus vs Motel
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
As Skip said in the original post  "Do the math"

I got into this bus thing via my Class C.

We were talking two week trips every summer and after adding up the first one for 4 people  ???  I realized that I could be 1/3 into a good used Class C with one two week trip.  Of course that led to the Bus.

For fun we used to figure the cost if we went without the bus.  It was always more.

But forget the cost....My own bed...my own food, drinks, restroom....I have to kick the kids out if I stop at a rest area...in the van they begged for me to stop....Plus I have my favorite stewardess who is verrrrrry  ;) friendly with the Driver.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 03:24:09 PM »

- More counts against hotels

http://www.phonelosers.org/hotel/

Also, The "Motel Board" and "motelnuts" are not as interesting :D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline BusCrazyTom

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 03:56:17 PM »
We just call them "bedbugs".....:)

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »
I guess I'm funny too, because I like to know whose fanny sat on my toilet and who slept in my bed and what they did there!
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Dreamscape

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »
I know where this thread is going now. LOL ;D

I guess I'm funny too, because I like to know whose fanny sat on my toilet and who slept in my bed and what they did there!

Aint gonna touch this one.

Paul

Offline soonda

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »
I know our dogs sure like it better when we take the bus, they get to ride along vs being boarded. That adds to our savings too, since they are both large dogs which costs nearly $12 a dog per day!

Dreamscape

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 05:28:52 AM »
Welcome soonda,

Where are you from?

What kind of coach do you have?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

cody

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 10:23:48 AM »
Or in my case, expiring minds want to know lol.

Offline soonda

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 12:38:05 PM »
We live about 60 miles north of Indianapolis, IN just outside of Kokomo, IN.

We have a '86 MCI 102A2 - a work in progress.

Have had to work on her a little at a time, since we started using it as soon as we got it we haven't been able to tear into her too aggressively. Kids have gotten pretty spoiled, seems anytime we have to travel more than 3 hours they want to take the bus.

Each trip as been an adventure.

We now know we run out of fuel when the guage says there is 1/4 of a tank left. We also know there is a BIG difference in running ouf to fuel in the bus vs running out of gas in the car! We also know the 2 gallons of fuel AAA will bring you might as well of stayed at the gas station. We know what it is like to ride in the great big tow trucks.

Now know that keeping the lavatory in - just for a while isn't such a good thing, especially if there isn't any fan or way of keeping the tank from boiling.

We know what kind of whilstling sound the roof hatches make in 80 mph cross straight winds.

We know that even though one of the picnic pull off sites at Yellowstone, that does not have the 'no big camper' symbol, does not allow enough room for a 40' bus with no tag axle to make it around the paved circle without the wheels running off the pavement and having the park ranger call for a 'recovery'. Found out you can't cut down a 6" tree stump in a National Park to help get your bus back on to the pavement. Should have seen that little tow truck's wheels come up off the ground on one side when trying to wench the bus back onto the pavement. Found out just how good the husband is at backing the bus up.

Found out that you can drive a 40' bus into Johnston's campground in Banff Canada but you can't drive out of it (without relocating a sign or a tree). Another great backup exercise for the husband.

Now know if you go to King's Island, in Cincinatti,  in your bus - and it looks like a bus, you don't have to pay for parking and the bus driver gets in for free. Probably helped that we had about 8 girls on board that made enough noise to sound like a bus load.

Can't wait to get back on the road again and learn some more!

Dreamscape

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »
Very Good Read. Sounds like you are becoming very experienced very quickly. Have fun with all of your adventures even though some are not so much fun. Once you start tearing apart your coach you probably won't drive it so much. So drive it now.

Paul

cody

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 05:33:56 PM »
I think we've all been there lol, just wait, the fun is only beginning.  Some days you'll curse the day you came up with the idea to get a bus, then you'll realize that the memories you'll have down the road are priceless.  The price we all pay for the skinned knuckles, bruised knees, headaches and general remodling boo boo's are all forgotten when you look at your kids faces as you approach a new area.  These memories could never be repeated in a mini van as you approach the motel in a long forgotten part of town and you wonder if the last occupants of your room lived thru the night lol.  You'll never question the wisdom of buying your bus again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal