Author Topic: Louvers for Engine Compartment  (Read 11398 times)

Offline TomC

Louvers for Engine Compartment
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:26:29 PM »
I'm looking at having made two 24"w x 18"h stainless louvers to better vent the engine compartment, that would be mounted on the back compartment door.  I am surprisingly having a hard time finding a company that will even do it, let alone one that will look good also.  For those that have had custome louvers made-who did you use.  I am in Los Angeles, and would be nice if the company had a rep hear in Calif.  Thanks, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Dreamscape

Re: Louvers for Engine Compartment
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:29:38 PM »
Hello Tom,

Have you tried Mc Master Carr? Don't know if they would have what you need or not.

Paul

Offline tekebird

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:37:55 PM »
go to any custom hotrod place...they are all of So Cal...

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »
Tom, call Harcon precision metals down in Chula Vista. http://www.harconprecision.com/
They are off main street very near the border... all they pretty much do is make stainless stuff for the navy (furniture, custom stuff etc) they have a water jet cutter and a massively well outfitted machine/ sheet metal shop and they are fairly reasonable on one-up stuff.  They absolutely can do this job for you... I use them all the time in my biz and they are great.
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:23 PM »
Can't m ake out what kind of bus you have, but IBP makes louvered engine bay door panels for a few different buses.  I bought them for my MC9.  It made almost a 10 degree difference in engine temp.  It's amazing how much heat gets dumped right back down on the engine.  The louvered doors let all the heat out.

Ross

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 04:30:42 PM »
Tom, I went to the boating industry for mine, they are available in many sizes, most are heavy SS and thickly plated to resist salt water (think sail boat). They are made for flush mounting so look like a factory installation.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:17:19 PM »
Ross,

Do you have a contact for IBP?  How much were they?

Has any body vented the side panel to let air in?

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:02:15 PM »
The louvers on my Eagle are really not enough. The new MCI has some larger rectangular holes that look like they could move alot of air. We really need to dump all the air the fan is pulling in and that is a lot of air. Wraping the exhaust helped my situation alot. I plan to also wrap the intake side including the air cleaner. Think if I can keep the air temp at the top of the motor near outside air temperature it will help alot.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 04:14:39 AM »
Here is thier web site...

http://www.1800intlbus.com/

The idea is to let hot air out.  Air comes in from the radiator intakes.  Venting the back doors lets the hot air out.  My guess is that if IBP does not make a vented replacement door skin for your bus, they could make one based on your dimensions.  The cost wasn't bad...Maybe $40 per door, but that was before stainless increased in price four fold plus.

Ross

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 05:51:17 AM »
 Tom, West marine.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:28:43 AM »
I was lurking on the BNO Board yesterday and someone has used a rubber belt 13" by the width of the bus to create a vacuum to force more air into or out of the engine compartment. It was placed under and forward of the engine. Has anyone else tried this? If so what did you learn?
I also would like to add louvers on my engine door so will monitor this thread.
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread too much, sorry Tom C. ;)

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

Dallas

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:36:15 AM »
I was lurking on the BNO Board yesterday and someone has used a rubber belt 13" by the width of the bus to create a vacuum to force more air into or out of the engine compartment. It was placed under and forward of the engine. Has anyone else tried this? If so what did you learn?
I also would like to add louvers on my engine door so will monitor this thread.
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread too much, sorry Tom C. ;)

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

Paul,
That flap is OE on all GMC's it creates a low pressure area under the engine to allow the air to be pulled down and out of the compartment.
Unfortunately, most of the GM's I've seen have had it removed, probably due to rot and age.
I had one on my TDH3610 and it worked very well, and will put one on my PD4103 as soon as I find some belting.

The Flxible Newlooks and some MCI's also had it, but I'm not certain that all buses did.

IHTH,
Dallas

Dreamscape

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 06:51:13 AM »
My thoughts are, if it works as designed replace as necessary. Would any other material work such a UHMW, or does it have to remain flexible? Much cheaper than louvers or can it be used in addition to.

Paul

Offline bigjohnkub

• pd4903-188 and now pd4107
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 12:53:05 PM »
As for belting on air dam. I used round baler belting. Available up to 14" wide at your local Vermeer Ag dealer.  Big John
Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!

Offline wvanative

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 10:52:26 AM »
I would think Chaz could also get the job done as that is how he makes his living working with metal's, and you would be sending work to fellow Busnut in the process. I see that as a win /win situation. Just a thought.

WVanative 
Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal