Author Topic: Changing to Group 31 Batteries  (Read 15945 times)

Offline Fred Mc

Changing to Group 31 Batteries
« on: May 16, 2007, 05:26:54 PM »
I have a GM PD4106 with 2 8D batteries that need replacing. The coach is a 12 colt system.

Ive read where a number of you have gone with group 31 batteries and I am considering this mainly becasue of the cost although weight is also a factor.

Can you get away with 2 group 31's replacing 2 8D's?

Where did you buy them and what is the cost?

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Edit: I changed the spelling in the subject header to make for easier searching in the database. - Dallas

Dreamscape

Re: Channig to Gropu 31 Batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
I got mine at Interstate Batteries, around 60 bucks each.

Paul

Offline ChuckMC8

• 1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:48:49 PM »
Fred, I have 2 like new 8D's and am close to you. Email me at 14bama@bellsouth.net Chuck
Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »
 We are not getting away with group 31's. Once you remove the bus air, 8D's are overkill!!! 8D's have a one year warrenty group 31's up to seven years.
 Best battery, best deal? I dunno but I buy mine at Walmart, I can get a replacement battey almost anywhere 7 days a week!
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:23:41 PM »
Best battery, best deal? I dunno but I buy mine at Walmart, I can get a replacement battey almost anywhere 7 days a week!

I couldn't agree more.  I use Wal-Mart batteries in everything now.  They seem to be good quality and of course have an excellent price.  The only time I had one die prematurely, I took my pickup to the nearest Wal-Mart, they worked on it immediately.  They hooked up their tester to verify it was the battery that had the problem and then put a new one in no questions asked.  While the mechanic put the battery in, the clerk pro-rated the warranty and I paid.  Within 15 minutes of pulling in, I was driving away with a new battery under the hood.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 11:00:59 PM »
I buy the tires for my toad at Walmart for the same reason.

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »
I also have a 8V-71 Vdrive that I changed from the 8D starting to two size 31 batteries.  The original batteries were probably around 1200cca.  I use Interstate batteries that have 950cca each that spins the engine just fine.  The difference is 61lbs for the 31 and 132lbs for the 8D.  I do use Lifeline AGM 8D (2) for my house batteries that have 255amp/hr each, that I really like.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 04:43:55 AM »
    One thing everyone needs to know about WalMart batteries. We purchased 2 group 31 batteries at a WalMart in NC last October, to replace to batteries that were 6 1/2 years old. 3 weeks later one of the batteries failed in South Georgia, we took it to the local WalMart for replacement. They said they could replace it but not with the same battery. I asked "why not?". The clerk explained that WalMart sells a "North" and "South" version. Sure enough the batteries I purchased were a 65N, the replacement was a 65S. They sell for the same price, but the "South" battery was about 75 less amps.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 05:18:31 AM »
That is interesting to know.  I imagine the higher amps rating for the northern batteries is to offset the performance loss of lead acid batteries at cold temps.  I wonder if other nationwide battery sellers do the same?

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 05:41:55 AM »
I imagine the higher amps rating for the northern batteries is to offset the performance loss of lead acid batteries at cold temps.  I wonder if other nationwide battery sellers do the same?

I am sure that is the reason, but what upset me is that they charge just as much for the lesser quality "Southern" battery. And I now have an unmatched set of batteries connected in series for our bus starting batteries. But, if they fail, they will go back to the nearest WalMart for the free replacement. 
   I have no idea whether other national battery chains do the same thing.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
Re: Changing to Group 31 Batteries
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 08:43:58 AM »
I buy batteries at NAPA, there are 5 times as many NAPA stores as there are Walmarts. 
  Any thing I want, if not in stock, will be here at 8 AM the next day.  Now you'll say Walmart will have them in stock, not so, the local Walmart doesn't stock group 31's and to order will take  a week or more.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
I recently purchased a new set of Group 31 maintenance free's (4) from NAPA and they appear to be doing fine - they especially seemed to handle the long periods of non-usage better than anything I've had so far - and the Group 31's usually have higher cranking amps - FWIW

P.S. - they were only $69 each at dealer cost - I think retail is closer to $100
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Sojourner

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 10:36:20 AM »
And not all southern Super Wal-Mart have group 31 battery but usually Sam's Club does.

Also “group 31” does mean physical size only……..nothing to do with CCA. Check this for yourself  under “HEAVY-DUTY COMMERCIAL BATTERIES 12-VOLT (6 CELLS)” in BCI page: http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

However “group 31” is available in CCA rate from 625 to 1150 +. So ask or look for group 31 with highest CCA rating with roaming service store warranty.

So don't be misled that you have high CCA just because it is “group 31”

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 01:06:14 PM »
NAPA's not open on Sunday, not that I would change a battery on the Lords day. But I might bee tempted to pick it up on the way home from church. Try to pull into most NAPA's with your bus.   NAPA is not open at night. I buy my fuel and oil filters at NAPA, I also carry extras. I do not want to carry an extra battery.  And the #1 reason                       I cant camp at NAPA!!!

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
I thought we were talking about batteries not camping.

True NAPA stores aren't open on Sunday but it is very, very seldom that a man doesn't have some warning that he is going to need new batteries. There are certain indications that batteries need replaced. I try to monitor mine closely.

I'm sure that there are exceptions to every rule and people dedicated to the rule of semantics will post some exceptions but it still doesn't alter the fact that there are 5 times as many NAPA store as there are Walmarts which makes them more accessible.

The local Walmart doesn't carry group 31's that I can find. Now I could go to the next closest Walmart but, would pass 3 NAPA stores on the way.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal