Author Topic: With today's fuel prices is a seperate fuel tank for the generator worthwhile?  (Read 15333 times)

Ace

I will when I get me one of those "roundtuit" things!

Anyone know where I can find one?

First things first Richard! Still working on the inside and that's going slowly! As you see, we don't even have a ceiling yet but everything we do have is working!

Ace

Offline DrivingMissLazy

I will have to say you have done yourself proud! And I am proud of the way you are doing it.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline augerdogger

"Off-road" fuel can be found at most big truck fueling locations.  It may be known as "refer" or non-highway tax fuel.  Drivers do not have to pay the road tax on the fuel that is used for their refirgeration units.  They have a separate tank on there trailer.  I filled up last night in Albuquerque and the pump selections included highway fuel, non-highway fuel, or both.  bill

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
On the bus I just purchased, the previous owner added two auxiliary tanks to the forward bay of this 4106. The black one on the right is an additional 160 gallon fuel tank. The aluminum one on the left is a 40 gallon generator tank. He used to travel to Mexico to fill up because diesel was very inexpensive there. I am going to remove the black tank to recoup some bay space. I like the way the aluminum tank is up against the bulkhead. It is out of the way.

Barn Owl
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Burgermeister

Revisionist history Ace,

It wasn't the aluminum tanks that caused the problem, it was your response to valid questions that generated the "controversy"

JohnTNG had comments about the installation and you blew up when I asked you to simply tell him how you mounted the tanks rather than argue with him about it.   I in fact supported you, giving you credit for probably "doing it right" , but you reacted as if I had insulted you.

This isn't something you can argue about, Ace, because I saved all the posts!

Drop it and keep it dropped and it'll pass in to busnut folklore,  keep revising history and I'll hold you to the true facts.

Time will tell all.  JTNG didn't say the tanks would rot out overnight, just that they'd go faster than SS or plastic.   

Ace

AHH...

It wasn't JTNG that did ALL the flaming so go back in your archives and read it all. True he added his nickel but it was certain others that just had to add their 2 cents. Well you see what it got them (him)? Proof is in the pudding or in this case MY coach!

What I would really like to know is how can people come on sites like this and tell other people that what they have done or will be doing WON'T work after they see it's already been done and working fine?

What this hobby has is way too many computerized bus nuts. I'm still waiting to see these conversions these so called know it alls have and have them show their own work in progress. Someone that has done all they claim to have done OR is in the progress of doing should be proud to show their stuff and how they did it. I know I am!

I read all the time that they just went out and purchased a stick and staple JUST to travel in. Where's the friggin bus conversion? To me these blow hards are just that! Wannabee blowhards!

Suitable for printing

Ace

Offline ghanson

• MC 9
I'll chime in here....I went to a truck salvage yard and bought an old square stepside 50 gallon fuel tank for my genset, and it fits nicely in the bay.  I had a fuel pickup made that goes right to the bottom of the tank, (we measured and re-measured), and the reasons for doing it that way are this:

1)  I want to keep them seperate.   I know exactly what the bus burns, and exactly what the genset burns.  When I fill up, I usually know (almost) exactly what it's going to take as I check the logbook and do the mental math.

2)  Genset can't run me out of fuel.  Don't want surprises.

3)  Didn't want to mess with the bus fuel system.  Bus works:   leave it alone.

4) Off road is available where I live, but I often can't find it on the road.  That's okay.  It's not worth looking for it, but if you find it,  you     find it.

5) Chicks dig seperate tanks.  Okay, I'm making that up.  They don't really care.  It takes up bay space, but that's the only downfall I can think of.

FWIW

ghanson MC 9
ghanson@ipapilot.org

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal