Author Topic: Welcome to Florida  (Read 3958 times)

Offline roadrunnertex

Welcome to Florida
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »
 ???
I picked this up on a aviation web site.
Folks going to Florida watch out.

According to the Florida Tax Code, "There shall be a presumption that any aircraft, boat, mobile home, motor vehicle, or other vehicle purchased in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia but titled, registered, or licensed in this state is taxable except as otherwise provided in subsection (26) of this rule. This presumption may be rebutted only by documentary evidence that the person owning the aircraft, boat, mobile home, or motor vehicle purchased the aircraft, boat, mobile home, or motor vehicle in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia six (6) months or more prior to the time it is brought into this state. In order for such property to be presumed exempt as purchased for use outside Florida, the person owning the aircraft, boat, mobile home, motor vehicle, or other vehicle must provide documentary proof that such property was used in other states, territories of the United States, or the District of Columbia for six months or longer under conditions which would lawfully give rise to the taxing jurisdiction of another state, territory, or District of Columbia and any lawfully imposed tax was paid to such state, territory, or District of Columbia before being imported into this state. However, the rental or lease of any aircraft, boat, mobile home, or motor vehicle which is used or stored in this state is taxable without regard to its prior use or tax paid on the purchase outside this state."

Florida always has it's hand out for your Money!
jlv :P

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: Welcome to Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »
I strongly suspect this may be the law in most if not all states. Definitely it is not just Florida.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:45:28 AM »
Yes,  something close to that in Cal too.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »
I agree that all states have some form of that law.  It is designed to prevent people going outside the state to purchase a vehicle and then bringing it in to sidestep sales tax.

Speaking of Californina.  I lived out there are few years in the early 90's.  When I moved there, I brought my 6 year old Toyota pickup that had been registered in two other states since it's purchase and had an exceptionally good emissions test report.  California automatically added a $300 "environmental impact fee" because it had been purchased in another state.  This on top of the highest registration fee I had ever paid (about $400 registration + the $300 fee, if I recall correctly).

Offline Hartley

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:13:25 AM »
Florida looks up the value of any vehicle and charges tax on it even if you bought it from
a private individual that already paid tax on it and had it registered in state.

Book value according to their rules. Not your rules.

Even if someone gave you the vehicle for free, you still have to pay book value tax or they will
estimate the value and tax accordingly. The impact fee of $100 applies on them also for registrations
if it is your 2nd or more vehicle. exempt are motorhomes and trailers generally because they aren't considered a primary vehicle. Of course that depends on which way the wind is blowing and your attitude.. Then it all changes depending too on what kind of day the clerk is having.

Flakey to say the least..... Be so that if you take an attitude or act like a redneck, then the price and hassle changes yet again. The best defense is to be nice and act blonde...

Sorry.... Been there too many times, I have gone to another county to register stuff just to avoid hassles. That works too....
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

belfert

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:03:01 PM »
Indiana makes you pay sales tax to Indiana on ANY vehicle picked up at a dealer in Indiana regardless of which state you plan to register the vehicle in.

Most states have reciprocity agreements so you won't pay twice, but it is still a pain.

Offline Hartley

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »
I love that term " reciprocity "

What it means is the ability to get into line as many times as it takes and go through all the hassles.

Most Tag agencies will charge you tax anyway based on book value no matter where you buy.
At best you get to pay the difference in tax rates between agreeing states. But they still
want their cut.. It's just goofy...

The only place goofier is up north " Way North " The horror stories I have heard...700 miles to get a tag!

But wait, I hear the Left coast is getting that way too....

What fun.. eh?

JerryH

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:17:30 PM »
I am sorry ... am I missing something here??
I believe Delaware doesn't have a state sales tax ... however, purchase that vehicle and bring it back to PA and expect to pay the PA sales tax.  Buy a trailer in FL, even though it's being titled and transported back to PA ... and pay FL for the sales tax and not (here in PA) when I return and register/title the vehicle.  And yes ... sell a car here in PA and expect the purchaser to give up some $$$ for sales tax.  Even though the state got sales tax on it the first time the vehicle was sold, the third time, the sixth, etc. 
Again, I hate to be rude ... but is this REALLY something "new" in the world of sales tax when selling or purchasing vehicles?

Jerry H.

???
I picked this up on a aviation web site.
Folks going to Florida watch out.

According to the Florida Tax Code, "There shall be a presumption that any aircraft, boat, mobile home, motor vehicle, or other vehicle purchased in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia but titled, registered, or licensed in this state is taxable except as otherwise provided in subsection (26) of this rule. This presumption may be rebutted only by documentary evidence that the person owning the aircraft, boat, mobile home, or motor vehicle purchased the aircraft, boat, mobile home, or motor vehicle in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia six (6) months or more prior to the time it is brought into this state. In order for such property to be presumed exempt as purchased for use outside Florida, the person owning the aircraft, boat, mobile home, motor vehicle, or other vehicle must provide documentary proof that such property was used in other states, territories of the United States, or the District of Columbia for six months or longer under conditions which would lawfully give rise to the taxing jurisdiction of another state, territory, or District of Columbia and any lawfully imposed tax was paid to such state, territory, or District of Columbia before being imported into this state. However, the rental or lease of any aircraft, boat, mobile home, or motor vehicle which is used or stored in this state is taxable without regard to its prior use or tax paid on the purchase outside this state."

Florida always has it's hand out for your Money!
jlv :P

Offline Hartley

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 06:02:24 PM »
No Jerry you are just fine.

Sometimes things get posted for discussion and get started going around the bend.

The Sales Tax thing is not new, Nothing has really changed. It is what it is...

Sometimes people become alerted to things that are new to them but not neccessarily
new to everyone else. Facts are that each state or groups of states have their own
deals about taxes. Some are better some are worse. It's all about revenue.

Confusing wording is always used to describe taxation and don't think it stops at the
end purchaser level. It doesn't. I have been around and around with tag agencies and
they all have their own interpretation of the rules they operate from.

The new trainee clerk will have a different answer than someone that has been doing the
job for 20 years. Some hang you on details and others overlook the fine snags and will actually
help you get things sorted out.

I have been on the dealer end and the buyer end way too many times to let it bother me...

Dave....

belfert

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:06:05 PM »
Wisconsin does not charge sales tax on a vehicle that is being registered out of state.  I had never heard of any state charging sales tax for a vehicle being registered out of state until I was at a trailer dealer in Indiana a few years back.  I'm sure this is new to some folks.

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »
Delaware doesn't have sales tax, but they have a 2.75% vehicle transfer tax.  it doesn't matter where the vehicle comes from.  You can buy it in the state, out of state or it can be a vehicle you've had for years registered in another state.  If you are putting DE plates on it for the first time, you pay the 2.75% tax.  On buses it's not too bad.  I told them I paid $5000 8 years ago, so they guestimated it's current value at $2000.  For some reason they couldn't find a 1980 MCI motorhome in their book. :)

Ross 

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 06:03:08 AM »
In WV you pay state sales tax and then every year pay property tax plus annual registration fees.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal