Author Topic: Booth Seating.  (Read 5587 times)

Offline Flyboy

• ontheroadtomexico
Booth Seating.
« on: May 23, 2007, 08:38:26 PM »
Good evening all,

Going to tackle rearranging the eating area in my '04 next week.  Anyone have any pictures you could post or e-mail me that I can use as inspiration for booth seating? 

Also wondering about standard measurements, ie. booth spacing, table widths seat height and angle etc. 

The current setup is not functional for the four of us (wife 'n two little guys).

Thanks in advance.

FB.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
Re: Booth Seating.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:03:35 PM »
Flyboy, I don't know if this will work for you or give you any ideas.  Last week, I picked up two sets of 4106 seats (from Dutch), one driver's side and one passengers' side.  Our plan is to set them up in the 4107, facing each other on the passenger's side.  I'm building a dining table that'll go between them (curly maple and walnut, for the woodworkers among us).  The table will be about 25-27" across, and about the width of the seat sets. 

Using butler tray table hinges (or mortising in piano hinges if I have to), the table will have two leaves.  Picture a drop-leaf table, but invert the leaves so they go up.  That'll allow clearance for people (especially me) to slide into the seat, then lower the leaves.  I plan a sliding support as with a secretary drop-leaf, for safety.  With that setup, we can't use traditional table height, because coach seats aren't as high as dining room seating.  I expect that the table top will be about an inch above the armrest height.  We mocked it up in the garage last weekend, and the inch, or inch and a half seemed about right.

For other alternatives, take a look at books in local woodworking stores - they'll give you common measurements for today-sized humans.

This may be somewhat unconventional, but we have two reasons.  First, we're trying to restore as much of the coach as possible to original, or reminiscent of original - and using coach seats does this.  Second, coach seats are designed for hours of sitting, so they should make good travelling seats - with the added advantage that the wife and mother-in-law, or other passengers can sit there and play cards while I drive - shortening the trip for all of us.

Arthur 
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »
I had the saame idea as Arthur. I had allready set up seats facing each other but hadn't got around to a table yet. My bus came with a couple of tables for passengers to use that had quick connects and were stored in the cargo compartment. the legs measure 25 inches long if that is any help to you. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 09:42:14 PM »
Jerry, I'm in a hotel in California, so I don't have access to my notes.  My memory is that we'd established about 25-26 inches as the right table height, consistent with your observation.  If someone needs the measurements, I'm flying home tomorrow so will have access to them.  I hope to get some time in the woodshop this weekend, the table and leaves are glued up, I need to trim them to length and make the walnut breadboard ends; then work on how to best hinge the leaves. 

I plan to strip the cushions off the seats, and send the frames out for powder-coating (JLV's idea).  I have a set of modesty panels, and I'm waiting for interior door panels from Luke, so I can send everything out at once.  Once back from powder coating, I can install the seats, the table will be finished, and I can work on the final mounting of the table.  I've played with the idea of making the height adjustable, since even a half inch too high or too low makes a difference.  I've been working in two separate hotels this trip, and one of them had a desk that was just a little too low to be comfortable. 

If this works as planned, I'll post the final results and measurements - hopefully sometime next month.

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:53:19 AM »
Does it have to be a booth?
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 10:22:42 AM »
Flyboy,
Here is 2 for ya. ;D
I don't know who owns them so I have no measurements. :(
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 01:39:46 PM »
The unit in DML is exactly like the upper photo, and we loved it. Booths are generally very uncomfortable for long periods of time sitting and the beauty of our set up was that we used the barrel chairs for lounging with the table top folded down out of the way. We did have a slide out tray about 18 inches wide and 24 inches deep. With two folding chairs it provided room for two more to eat when we had company. In 15 years we never missed having a traditional dinette .
Richard

Flyboy,
Here is 2 for ya. ;D
I don't know who owns them so I have no measurements. :(

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:27 PM »
When I got our coach it had two Flexsteel captains chairs that swivel, a folding table top that would lay down against the wall when not in use. (Very similar to one of the previous photos.) These are located across from the sofa, so it would be easier to have more seating for converstaions with guests. I intend to use the same concept when I get to that point. I thought it was a great idea. With children I would go with a booth. I even have toyed with the same idea as you, but decided the other would suit us better. Good Luck.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

Offline chargePlus

• 1951 GMC PD4103-125
    • The Official Bus Page for John & Natasha's GMC PD4103
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 01:53:59 PM »
Flyboy, I don't know if this will work for you or give you any ideas.  Last week, I picked up two sets of 4106 seats (from Dutch), one driver's side and one passengers' side.  Our plan is to set them up in the 4107, facing each other on the passenger's side.  I'm building a dining table that'll go between them (curly maple and walnut, for the woodworkers among us).  The table will be about 25-27" across, and about the width of the seat sets.

Nice wood choices!

When Natasha and I bought our bus it already had this set up plus an additional set of forward facing seats by the entry door. If the bus didn't have them, we would be doing the same thing as Arthur. We are not sure if the seats are original, but agreed that it was a plus when we saw the bus. We also have a friend who drives a 1951 Beck (repowered with a DT466) who has done the same thing. On the list of things to do is reupholster and re-spring the seats which are a little worn.

- John
Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal