Author Topic: back up lights  (Read 8356 times)

Offline jatnip

back up lights
« on: May 07, 2006, 10:48:47 PM »
When backing up my bus at night I can't see a thing.  Where is the best place to install a good back up light.  Up high in the back or down low?  What about placing backup lights low on the sides of the bus pointing back?  Anyone know what type of light is best and wattage to use?  Thanks,  Jim

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: back up lights
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 03:44:30 AM »
       Here is "our way", may oy may not work for you.  On our MC-8, we installed a pair of driving lights in the rear bumper. We cut holes for the lights and made brackets so that the lights are recessed into the rear bumper (we also installed a set in the front bumper for use as driving lights). On the MC-8, the OEM back-up light switch was a pressure switch that was controlled by the reverse circuit in the Allison 740 automatic transmission. This meant the only time you had back-up lights was when you were in reverse with the engine running. We wanted to be able to also use the back-up lights for hitching the toad, connecting to power pole, etc. We wired our new back-up lights to a switch on the dash. Since it is illegal to run with back-up light on, we added a flashing red LED on the dash to get our attention. We have some photos at http://members2.clubphoto.com/jack217421  Hope this helps, Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Rich (Prevost)

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:36:02 AM »
Hi Jim,

We have a pretty cool "dual directional" docking lamp assy. 12 or 24V. Shines a very nice WIDE path. Much better than a standard Fog" lamp. The Entertainer Bus owners that have some very difficult parking scenarios love this lamp assy.

Rich
800-468-5287

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 10:39:07 AM »
Hay Rich,

Can you post a pic of them?

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline BJW

• Always Follow Your Dream!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »
Hi Jim,

I thought a lot about "docking lights".  After years of playing with different ideas on boats, I realized exactly how important good lighting was.  On a rig the size of our rigs, the lighting is even more important. 

I checked into the various lighting systems designed for this application, but found the cost to be fairly high.  I finally decided to design system that uses wide spread driving lights with 55W bulbs.  I found some that I installed the following way. 

I have three lights installed along the side of the bus.  One installed within each fender and one in the middle of the bus.  This gives plenty of light for "docking" or when ever light is needed at the campsite for setup in the dark or whatever.  I say set up in the dark as it seems to always be my luck to arrive to my destination in the dark...Dang!!!  Anyhow, these lights are operated independently respective of the side. 

I also have another set installed in a removable plate that is aimed at an angle to light up my toad and make the rear visible when reversing.

I also am installing a set of robotic search lights on the top front.  I designed insets in the cap when I built it that allows them to retract into the roof leaving only the front lens/top exposed.  These lights are intended for auxiliary use, as needed, to augment the fixed mounted lighting.  Each search light is independently operated. 

The total cost all of the lights were less than the cost of a set of manufactured lights.  I think they give off more light, to boot, especially when all of them are lit.  It's like close encounters....of the Busin kind!!!   ;D

I hope this helps. 
BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »
Oh, nice paint job!
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline BJW

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »
Thanks!   :)   Here's a pic of the side.  It shows the three lights on the side and the overall paint scheme....

Oh, nice paint job!
BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 01:34:28 PM »
BJW,

What kind of lights and where did you purchase them?

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline BJW

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 03:21:35 PM »
Hey Cliff,

I can't remember the brand name, as it's been a while since I bought them.  I got one set from Napa and the others on-line (eBay).  They were all under $40.00 a set.  I made sure they had glass lenses and commonly available, replaceable bulbs, as a lot of the lights I found either had plastic lenses, or not easily or commonly replacable bulbs, or both.  They have a flat back/lip with a dome (for the light itself) that made it easy to plate mount.  I had to make stainless steel sleeves that they mounted into in the fenders.  That was so the heat from the light wouldn't effect the fiberglass fenders.  The rear and center lights are mounted on the steel surface and fillet sealed inside and out to assure no moisture within the respective compartment.  Here are couple pics I found that may help better define the fender light installation.  I also integrated LED turn signal/marker lights into each fender.  That is what is mounted under the docking lights.  I hope this helps.... :D

BJW,

What kind of lights and where did you purchase them?

Cliff
BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal