Author Topic: Up grading to bigger detroit  (Read 14970 times)

Offline musicman

Re: Up grading to bigger detroit
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »
Leaving early isnt any fun..Plus I want them to suck Eagle feathers for once

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
Passing the boss is not usually a good idea. If you have a mechanical 6V92, lets blow it up before we change it out. More injector, more turbo,(35 lbs boost), bigger air box, improved exhaust flow, (resonator only). It should live for quite while at 2450 RPM if you bearing it if its over 150,000 miles. Most hills you won't be on long enough to hurt it so just watch the 5 mile pulls. DDEC 2 has a 450 HP rating thats my next move, but no improvement over 2110 RPM plus 150 droop that I can find. (80 MPH top speed). If you have a mechanical engine now, I would stay mechanical. If you stay mechanical I would use a 10 speed double overdrive tranny and save some length, it may also offer the most top speed. 8th is 1 to 1,  9th is overdrive and 10th is for going home. Cummins Big Cam engines are mechanical as well as inexpensive to buy and operate. Pittsburg Diesel will build or furnish parts for you to build power that will live to around 800 HP with that engine. Pittsburgdiesel.net. With the 10 speed double overdrive and 2350 RPM you should be close to warp drive! A 3408 Cat would pass the lady also and make a nice fit.......
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 06:58:06 PM »
Hello musicman.

You want an automatic if you want to duel with the Prevost entertainer.

The open road is only one place, as good as they are, the automated manual gear boxes will leave you embarressed around town, and your goal is to show 'em tail feathers all the time, everytime!

The automated gear boxes are no quicker to shift than a tractor trailer, they are still waiting for the revs to drop for the next gear while the auto is through the next intersection. Good for fuel economy, absolutely no good for the performance oriented.

The ISM/auto combo in a trash truck seems the most readily available take out. Take the whole truck, and when the project is over, sell it again to recoup some costs. Do the research and be absolutely sure you will be able to get the computer hopped up. Despite the talk, Detroit won't hop up anything that didn't leave the factory hopped up, Cummins can't be any different. The fact it is going into a pre-emmisions application might help....?

Find the commercial part-out dealers that do this gig, near to where they have the right trash trucks,  and tell 'em what you need, and give them some time, they'll stumble on what you need eventually.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
Chris -

Sounds like you're suffering from TAHISMP! (Tim Allen Home Improvement Syndrome - "More Power!")    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Personally, I prefer Aesop's Fable of The Tortoise and The Hare:  http://www.storyarts.org/library/aesops/stories/tortoise.html

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 05:05:21 AM »
    Speaking of the Tortoise & the Hare, We were traveling on I-75 in Georgia, when I happened to look in my mirror and see a bus coming up beside us.  It was a friend who went on by and was out of sight very quickly. We continued along at our speed of about 60-65.  Several hours later we pulled into the campground, to see him on the road right in front of us. 
    When I was still working, we found that running lights & sirens on the rescue only made a slight difference in our transport times. Usually not enough when you considered the increased chance of being involved in an accident and the much rougher ride for both the patient and myself.
    If you are on a tight time schedule, I guess it would be differnet, buy now that we are retired, we take time to "stop and smell the roses".  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 08:41:36 AM »
Back in my hot rodding days, I soon found out that you aren't faster for long. Someone else will always have more money.  :(

A better goal is to choose the speed you desire to travel & the fuel useage you desire. With the miles you're putting on that bus & who you're competing against, you'd get tons of fun out of rubbing in the lower operating cost.  ;D

just a thought. .  .   .
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 10:31:44 AM »
I have an 8-92 and 10 spd OD.  I have a theoretical top end of 90+.  Its theoretical because I don't want to go there, not because I couldn't get there.  And I get 6 MPG (Canuck gallon) at 70.  9 MPG at 55.  You gotta pay if you want to play.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline homermandy

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
NJT for 35lbs boost, what turbo do you recommend for 6v92 DDEC2?
1991 Eagle 15

luvrbus

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »
homermanday i would be careful with the boost on a 2 stroke DD have a spec on how many pounds of air you can have in the air box for the injectors you have in your engine.i would check it out before i would try to up the boost hate to see you blow an engine

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
Homer, My 6V92 DDEC 2 is a factory turbo that came on the engine. DD specs this turbo at 25 lb. I have reworked several things on this engine and am very happy with the power I have. (I can run all over the loaded trucks). I currently am using the DD flash for a 350 HP coach @ 2260 RPM. I am more familiar with Cummins engines than DD. Older Cummins Big Cam engines had 300 hp @20 lbs boost, 25 lbs@ 350 hp and 400 hp @ 30 lbs boost. Each engine had a different turbo. Musicman wants to go and he can build alot of power with his 6V92 and still be safe. If I remember right someone around Bakersfield is running huge, maybe 125 injectors. (Initals DF maybe). DD has offered a twin turbo setup for the 92 for a long time. Anyone know the boost on that baby??? I don't see why you can't pull with the 4 stroke if you can get the top speed. I think one would want to check the main bearings every 100,000 to be safe. A piece of heavy equiptment like this that will run 130 mph can only be turned loose on the open road so I don't see a huge difference in the trannys at highway speeds.(just fuel and heat). Find out when the Prevost computer shuts off the top speed and there is your starting point. If the Prevost shuts off at 100, think 120. Go fast, be happy! Boost power is free power. There is a Cummins Dealer in Pittsburg that sells mapwidth high altitude turbos that push around 40lbs. Someone must have one for a DD application. I have heard if properly set up a 2 stroke can put out up to 1 HP per CI and live, so stay under 550 hp.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:34 PM »
If I get really motivated I should install a second temp sensor in the other head.

Gary, we did this and know several others who have added a second temp gauge. If you do this you may find that your right cylinder head runs about 5 degrees hotter than the right.  I have no idea why, but almost everyone I know who has dual temp gauges have noticed this also.  Jack

Could it be because the fan and radiator are on the LEFT side? In other words, the left side is closer to the "wind"?
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
The MCI's have a double squirrel cage blower on top, air drawing in from L/S & R/S rad's. I know that is my set up. I believe so for Jack's as well.

http://busesandmore.com/images/1988-MCI-102C3/Blower-Compt.jpg
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline Brassman

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 10:56:24 PM »
When I started reading this thread I thought, like wow, dallas is back! Only then did I notice that this was a blast from the past. Oh well.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 06:03:42 AM »
Like others, I was not sure what was going on here.  Then I noticed this was a 2007 thread.   It was fun reading through it again.

Musicman has not been active since 8/2007.  Doubt that he is even lurking here anymore.  Would be fun to know what he did with his Eagle.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 06:22:24 AM »
Our new friend XE1UFO seems to have a penchant for digging up multi-year old threads and replying to them.  I find it irritating, personally.  I read back through the archives when I joined, too, but chose not to offer replies to old threads.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal