Author Topic: Call me nuts  (Read 4123 times)

Offline buddydawg

Call me nuts
« on: May 28, 2007, 06:56:39 PM »
I am finally joining the busnut crowd.  I am buying a 1972 GM Fishbowl Suburban this week.  I went and gave it a good inspection and test drive today.  It fits the budget and I think I can make something of it.  It cranked right up and cruised on down the highway.  I should be briniging it home sometime next week.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline Jerry Liebler

Re: Call me nuts
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 07:02:13 PM »
Buddy,
    Welcome to our world & congratulations on your new toy.  If any of us busnuts called you nuts, we'd have to admit the same of ourselves! 
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

cody

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:03:07 PM »
Lets see, we pour money into a metal lined hole in the driveway, we drive a small car with a feather foot to squeeze the last mile per gallon out of it so that we can save up enough money to pour a small oil well of diesel fuel into a tank that will empty itself almost as fast as we fill it, we bang our heads on the mirrors as we walk by, smash our hands trying to pry that bolt loose that was last seen in the late fifties.  We drain our savings accounts so that we can fix up something that will never be worth a fraction of what we have into it, nuts? not us lol, I love it. lol

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
and then, we don't like the color, and have to learn to paint, so we can change it.
All the while, chasing air leaks, locked up brakes, dead A/C units, leaking exhaust,etc, etc, etc.  Haven't EVEN told you guys what I did to get the love seat out.

This is soooooo crazy,  Welcome to the NUT HOUSE.....

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:09:46 AM »
Here is a pic.  I found it on ebay. 

As far as my background I haven't taken on a project like this before.  I have been looking into it for about two years now and settled on this bus. While it may not be the "best bus" for a conversion it seems to fit my needs and I just like the way it looks. 
I am employed as a Woodcrafter by the Dept. of Defense and I cabinet maker and trim carpenter on the side.  I am also proficient in Paint and body work. I have those areas covered. I can wade my way through the electrical work.  My biggest weakness right now is learning how the bus systems operate which will improve over time and tons of post on the board.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 05:12:43 AM »
Good for YOU!

Glad you found the right bus for your needs. Now the fun begins! Get manuals, read all you can, ask lots of questions, make lots of friends with the same coach as yours and most of all HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »
For those that are interested the model number is T6H 5308A and the serial # is 0024
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:22:01 AM »
Buddydawg,

That's a transit coach.
T= Transit
S= Suburban
P= Parlor

T6H5308A0024 was delivered to New York Bus Tours, Bronx, New York as #1313 in April of 1972.

Good luck, and have fun!

Oh, and just because no one else said it, I will.   You're NUTS!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ya gotta be to start this hobby, addiction, obsession, life altering path!

Dallas

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »
Buddydawg, welcome to the group.  I've been here for almost a year, and it's been quite an education.   

The photo is interesting, obviously New York Bus Service paint scheme.  Looks like it may be a hybrid between transit and suburban.  Exterior has suburban characteristics (no rear door), but doesn't have the luggage bays I remember in suburbans (at least the SDM 4501 I used to drive).  I wonder if it has forward facing highback seats (suburban characteristic), probable if it was used for a tour subsidiary.  In the interior, the most telling feature between transit and suburban was the raised floor. 

If you're interested in preserving some of the history of your coach, there's a fellow who's been listing hat badges, and other NYBS materials on ebay over the last couple of months.

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 09:29:03 AM »
The seats have been removed but it did have the raied floor and forward facing streets.  For whatever reason all of the NYBS Suburbans that I have seen do not have the bays.  There is space there but no bay door access. 
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Offline Charles Seaton

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:21:54 AM »
This is definitely a transit.  NYBS ordered their buses with suburban interiors, but they were transits.  One of the easiest ways to tell the difference is the fact that suburbans nearly always have luggage bays.  There are also some underbody differences---two stabilizer bars instead of one, etc.  And yes, the forward-facing seats necessitates the use of raised platforms.

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »
Thanks for the info. 
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:13:02 PM »
ok,

you're nuts! ;D
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »
Buddydawg,
You came to the right place!  Stainless fever is a terrible thing to battle alone.  (Seems like there outhta be a twelve step program or something for us...)
Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline superpickle

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 01:17:38 PM »
Glad to have Another Fishbowler here  ;D
I have T6H4521 271. also from NYTS. I'd put her on my Avitar, but I cant figure it out.. ???
Heres my link : go to Photoblog. (click) Genral, undr the pic.. ;D

http://www.matthewfarmery.net/gonermobile/documents/23.html

And Ditto on the NUTZ 
Buddydawg,

That's a transit coach.
T= Transit
S= Suburban
P= Parlor

T6H5308A0024 was delivered to New York Bus Tours, Bronx, New York as #1313 in April of 1972.

Good luck, and have fun!

Oh, and just because no one else said it, I will.   You're NUTS!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ya gotta be to start this hobby, addiction, obsession, life altering path!

Dallas

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal