Poll

Would you like to see a separate discussion area which serves as a HOW-TO use the board,  and general usage?

Yes, separate that discussion from the bus discussions
12 (85.7%)
No, Keep one big happy discussion!
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Separate Discussion Area for HOW-TO use the board ?  (Read 11332 times)

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Separate Discussion Area for HOW-TO use the board ?
« on: April 02, 2006, 02:05:04 PM »
This is not a question of creating multiple discussion categories such as brakes, air, etc..  There is only one discussion area for bus topics.  But, there have been some who suggest separating the HOW-TO use the board from all the bus talk.  What do you think?  Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Sammy

Re: Separate Discussion Area for HOW-TO use the board
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »
Very good idea.
I haven't even begun to 'play' with all the features yet.
Thanks again for an awesome board.  8)

Dallas

Re: Separate Discussion Area for HOW-TO use the board
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 02:23:44 PM »
HOw about instead of a general discussion area for the "how-to", start a FAQ section and migrate all those questions that are bound to come up over and over again into a clear, easily read section. Then when someone has a question that isn't in the FAQ it can be asked on the main board. That way everyone can have a shot at answering questions, and save you time and trouble.
It seems to me that most of the people who know how to use the board will ignore the 'how-to' area. If the 'how-to's' are put in the general area, they will get more attention.
Just my thoughts.
Dallas

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: Separate Discussion Area for HOW-TO use the board ?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
I do not think it would be a bad idea to take some hints from the master (I@N) and look at his home page. He has several sections including Getting Started, Formatting and Troubleshooting to name a few. Etiquette and some other things come to mind and should be a part of the overall heading I think. There should be a place for FAQ's as Dallas suggests also.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 04:49:49 PM »
PHIL,

A How To Use on the start screen would be helpful

Mabe under-----DUHHHHHH----- I see you allready put it under post reply!!

OK- Good Job FIL-

NICK-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:12:47 PM »
Hey Phil, as I remember hearing long ago at football try outs in high school when he held up a pig skin an said "this is a football" from the rear of the crowd came a "NOT SO FAST COACH, WE'RE JUST BEGIN'N HERE! COULD YA START OVER?" Seriously and no it wasn't me altough I did live next to, and grew up with the prankster! Yes I'd say if ya could make a slow and step by step learn'n feature it'd help us slow 1's coach! LOL But I'm try'n and think it's an ecellant start! Busted Knuckle
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline NEO/Russ

• NEO/Russ
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 07:12:26 AM »
Phil,
I have been coming to the MAK board since '98 as well as BNO.  One thing that is available on BNO that I really find useful is that Ian has a "subscription" feature that sends those who use it every posting.  It saves signing on and all the scrolling.  There are a lot of silly posts, but the ease of use certainly outweighs the nusiance, IMHO.  Once in a while there is a photo attached that doesn't come with the post, but there always is a link to the thread so I can go there and see what they are cussing or discussing.

Is this fearure available on this new board? 

Thanks,
Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 07:46:51 AM »
Phil,
I have been coming to the MAK board since '98 as well as BNO.  One thing that is available on BNO that I really find useful is that Ian has a "subscription" feature that sends those who use it every posting.  It saves signing on and all the scrolling.  There are a lot of silly posts, but the ease of use certainly outweighs the nusiance, IMHO.  Once in a while there is a photo attached that doesn't come with the post, but there always is a link to the thread so I can go there and see what they are cussing or discussing.

Is this fearure available on this new board? 

Thanks,

Hi Russ,

Check out the notify button at the bottom of this and actually, each thread.  Would that provide what you are looking for? 

Please let me know.  Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline NEO/Russ

• NEO/Russ
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 02:04:24 PM »
Phil,

By the way, so far everything looks great.  I go to many boards and I'm used to this type format so you're on the right track and I'm sure you have hundreds of hours into getting it this far - Super job!

Yes, clicking on "notify" would do that, but it requires signing on and reviewing each thread.  If the subscription process isn't easy or available, that will suffice.  I like the other way because sometimes in the middle of a thread about some model bus I wouldn't normally even open there is a pearl of wisdom that can be applied to my weird model or interests. 

Keep up the great work.  And if the lack of a spell checker is a problem, just cut and paste into word, which will correct spelling and then repost into here.
Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 03:43:31 PM »
A much easier spell check than cut and paste into word and cut and paste back into the topic is to just load the Google tool bar. One of its features is a spell check. With one click you can detect any misspelled words and then get a drop down menu of possible spellings for what you want.  As of this date it has also blocked 9,145 pop ups for me also.
Richard

P.S.I run the spell check on this posting and found two typo's I had made.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 03:48:12 PM »
Thanks Richard,

I located the google bar, Now I don't sound like one of thoose fat albert kids-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal