Author Topic: Had 4 bandag recaps fitted on the drives  (Read 14025 times)

Offline bigtim44

• Red buses go faster!
    • big red bus conversion
Had 4 bandag recaps fitted on the drives
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:05:49 PM »
Had 4 fresh bandag recaps fitted on the drive wheels,speed rated 315/80/22.5 .all 4 fitted for $960 out the door.I'm a happy camper.The local transit authority is using them without poblems,they have MCI G4500 coaches for the express routes so I went for the recaps ;D.
Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/

Offline TomC

Re: Had 4 bandag recaps fitted on the drives
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:51:49 AM »
Most important thing for recaps is to keep proper (not maximum) tire pressure.  Weigh your bus by axle, then you can get the proper tire pressure and longest life out of the tire.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

orogle

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 06:27:30 AM »
Had 4 fresh bandag recaps fitted on the drive wheels,speed rated 315/80/22.5 .all 4 fitted for $960 out the door.I'm a happy camper.The local transit authority is using them without poblems,they have MCI G4500 coaches for the express routes so I went for the recaps ;D.

You will be happy with the recaps untill it turn into one of those "alligators" you see along the road.
Hopefully you will be a a safe enough place to think about the money you saved while "road service" arrives

orogle

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 07:26:41 AM »
trucking studies have shown that the majority of Tire failures are on new tires not recaps or retreads

Offline bigtim44

• Red buses go faster!
    • big red bus conversion
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:44:38 AM »
Thats what I read aswell when researching the figures,as mentioned before inflation pressure is key.
Basalt Colorado

orogle

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:31:58 AM »
trucking studies have shown that the majority of Tire failures are on new tires not recaps or retreads

Thats pretty good odds since most trucking companies run new on the front and recaps on the other 16.
And also there are a lot more trucks on the road than buses.

something to think about.

orogle

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 12:49:40 PM »
4 bandag recaps fitted on the drives.
They will work fine.You will have to keep them inflated to the proper inflation pressure.
You have to remember that most trucks are a lot heaver than our buses in some cases 80,000 pounds total weight.
jlv

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 06:39:05 PM »
I'm not sure , don't hold me to this but.
I was told that any bus tire with 315/80/22.5 , was only rated for transit use , or 55 MPH.
And that they have a heavier side wall for rubbing on curbs?
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline bigtim44

• Red buses go faster!
    • big red bus conversion
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »
My new steers 315/80/22.5 are rated to 80mph
Basalt Colorado

Offline Clarke Echols

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 12:32:33 AM »
I don't know if all tires are set up this way, but the tires on my 55 mph transit bus are all marked (molded into the sidewall) that they are for use not over 55 mph.  I don't know if there are exceptions that are not marked but still must be kept at the lower speed...

Clarke

I'm not sure , don't hold me to this but.
I was told that any bus tire with 315/80/22.5 , was only rated for transit use , or 55 MPH.
And that they have a heavier side wall for rubbing on curbs?

orogle

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 07:59:43 AM »
Still thinking about those recaps

I have read on this thread that new tires fail more than recaps according to some studies and that make we wonder why it is a law that new tires be put on the front of semi's.  It is a safety issue. 

Also tires do have a rating for speed and are priced  accordingly.

Trucking companies put tires on the trucks that are not rated over 60 and have the trucks governed not to exceed that speed.  The trouble i am looking at here is that coming down a very steep hill, that same truck with 60 mph tires can now  exceed 70-75 mph and can have a weight  in excess of 80k at the time.  That's a little scary if you think about it.

I have been reading a lot of one model of michelin that has exteme failure rates. 

question:  what if the recap you buy is put on one of the tires that has an extteme failure rate.

ohhhhhhhhh I was just thinking........I am going to bet that you don't run recaps on the front. 

if new tires failed more..... it would be a good idea to run recaps on the front.......  hmnnnnnnnn

not saying I would never buy recaps for everything except the front.   Just thinking out loud is all.

orogle.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 08:18:46 AM »
I do not know what part of the country you drive in but my experience is that if a truck is only going 60 MPH then he is going to get run over by everyone else on the road. LOL
Richard

Trucking companies put tires on the trucks that are not rated over 60 and have the trucks governed not to exceed that speed.  The trouble i am looking at here is that coming down a very steep hill, that same truck with 60 mph tires can now  exceed 70-75 mph and can have a weight  in excess of 80k at the time.  That's a little scary if you think about it.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

orogle

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 12:26:58 PM »
I do not know what part of the country you drive in but my experience is that if a truck is only going 60 MPH then he is going to get run over by everyone else on the road. LOL
Richard

It is scary and here is something I don't think is quite right:

trucks usually have a lower speed limit than cars..... sometimes it is only 55 or 60.
Those trucks that can only go 60 on the " flats " and slow down a little on all hills are forced to drive in the left hand lane on some freeways...... one that comes to mind is coming into Las Vegas. 

Now the problem:  Trucks traveling up a hill and slowing down, being passed by cars in the right hand lane......the truck has to get off the freeway and exit " to the right ".  A slow moving truck changing lanes into much faster traffic to exit the freeway ...........

uhhhhhhhhhhh that looks like a problem.

Truckers get paid by the mile...... if they could go faster.....they would.

orogle

Dallas

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 12:53:45 PM »
Richard,
Right next to your state, in oHIo the truck speed limit is 55.
It seems to take longer to go through there than all the way across Texas!
Dallas

Offline tekebird

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 01:33:27 PM »
Recaps on front is illegal.........but studies show that it is not realistic any longer.

Old law that was never changed with technology.

I beleive Colorado still has a law that if a business does not have water for your horse they get a fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal