Author Topic: Why "Private Coach"?  (Read 14177 times)

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
Why "Private Coach"?
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:40:49 PM »
Is there a law or a reason to put “Private Coach” on one’s bus? The previous owner didn’t have it on the bus when I got it. I have never seen this topic addressed since I have been a bus owner. I have my vinyl letters ready if I need them.

Thanks,

Laryn
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Dallas

Re: Why "Private Coach"?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:46:07 PM »
As far as I know it's just to differentiate a POV from a commercial coach so the DOT doesn't run you down and pounce on you when you pass a weigh station or DOT check.

Dallas

Offline gus

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
I always thought "Private Coach" just invited curiosity. The ACs on top pretty much advertise that it is an RV.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »
I got pulled over in South Dakota for not having them after i went pass a weigh station but they want RV to stop at the weigh station

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
I was thinking about using the Yosemity Sam "Back Off!" on mine.Along with the Veggie Oil sticker of course.
I like to take a walk on the dark side, every so often. ;D

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 03:30:26 PM »
A while back, I seem to recall someone stating that labeling your bus with a "Private Coach" sign is a way to differentiate it as a person's residence (albeit temporary). His rationale was that by having a sign at the door you were offered the same protection against unlawful searches, and the like. Personally, I don't know as I buy it, but that was his story.  I've never bothered to post any signs on mine.

I've seen the little plate that you can buy that mounted at the door. They are certainly not visible to the folks at the weigh station as you blow past, however.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »
I've heard that the Private Coach sign MAY be helpful in Mexico if your bus could be mistaken for a commercial tour bus.  I can't remember what the logic was but it seems to me it had something to do with the temporary vehicle import nonsense/permit that you have to do whenever you enter Mexico. 

We don't have one on ours & I don't plan to add one before we go south next winter.  I'll let you know how it works out (I'll probably only remember if it doesn't work out well)   ;D
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »
I think that if you ever stopped at a traffic light and someone ran up to your bus

thinking it was a bus on their route........You need a "Private Coach" sign...lol

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »
I think that if you ever stopped at a traffic light and someone ran up to your bus

thinking it was a bus on their route........You need a "Private Coach" sign...lol

Nick-

Naw Nick! Let 'm in charge 'm $5 then tell 'm yer not goin' where they thought you were! LOL! I have a blast do'n it! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline superpickle

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 10:09:57 PM »

Nick-

Naw Nick! Let 'm in charge 'm $5 then tell 'm yer not goin' where they thought you were! LOL! I have a blast do'n it! BK  ;D

I was driveing through Burbank in my Fishbowl, 3 Different people tried to Flag me down.. the last one, I pulled over towords the curb then Hit the throttle.. hehehehehehe  She Screamed and Flipped me off as she was Whipping out her Cell phone.. Probably to Complaine  ::) I hope I didnt get the Driver on that route in trouble..  :-\

Paul.... it WAS Fun though  ;D
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 10:00:40 AM »
Nick, one of the destinations I had printed for my new rollsign is ...  "Wrong Bus", as well as "Private Coach" and others.. 

And yes, there's a good probablility that a bus driver got in trouble for a pass-up, (write-up, suspension, or ?); at least one passenger upset that she'd been passed by and would be late for work, or whatever - general havoc.  Depending on the route, if it's contracted out, the contractor may have been hit with liquidated damages for the complaint.  I was in LA a couple of days ago, on another property, where that could happen. 

Since I've been in the bus business for a long time, I won't comment further - other than to suggest that the rest of us shouldn't try to cause trouble for other folks.  The example, though, does provide another reason for a "Private Coach" sign if there's any way our equipment could be mistaken for a regular service bus.

Arthur 
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline gus

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
I just drove my 4104 through SD two weeks ago from west to east with no sign of any kind and never stopped at a weight station, no problems.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

belfert

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 12:26:40 AM »
Nick, one of the destinations I had printed for my new rollsign is ...  "Wrong Bus", as well as "Private Coach" and others.. 

And yes, there's a good probablility that a bus driver got in trouble for a pass-up, (write-up, suspension, or ?); at least one passenger upset that she'd been passed by and would be late for work, or whatever - general havoc.  Depending on the route, if it's contracted out, the contractor may have been hit with liquidated damages for the complaint.  I was in LA a couple of days ago, on another property, where that could happen. 

To be fair, how many transit customers know the number to the local transit agency?  Did the customer really call the transit agency?  I assume the bus had no valid route number on it.  Around here at least, there are often multiple routes serviing the same stops so customers have to pay attention to route numbers.

Does any transit agency still use buses that old?  Our local transit agency phased out all of the GM buses by 1990 or earlier.

It still wasn't right to pretend to stop in any case.

cody

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:19:09 AM »
My coach has "Private Coach" on the sign, it was there when I bought it 3 years ago, if anyone asks, I just tell them I couldn't afford a Captain bus. lol.  I've been told it tells the DOT that it's a non-commercial bus for easy recognition, but I'm not sure.

Offline gus

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 03:25:14 PM »
Superprickle didn't help bus nuts a whole lot with his stunt!

We need to make nice to the public so we keep down the complaints.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal