Author Topic: The right battery with a true "Nationwide" warranty  (Read 8605 times)

Offline Dave Siegel

• Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!
    • Dave Siegel Designs
The right battery with a true "Nationwide" warranty
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:40:07 PM »
I am going to finally add a "house " battery to our PD3751. It's easy to just go to the parts house and for any number of reasons by one there. Price, aesthetics,warranty. Which brings us to warranty. Suppose I go into my local parts house and buy their battery, and I drive to Podunk, Minnesota and the battery gives out. Where do I go for an adjustment?   ???

Is there a recommended battery that can be adjusted just about country wide? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.  :D

Dave Siegel
Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
            Pinellas Park, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com

Offline TomC

Re: The right battery with a true "Nationwide" warranty
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
This is why you buy a nationally known battery, like Interstate, Exide, etc.  Best to pay a bit more for a name brand initially.  What size batt are you going to use?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Dave Siegel

• Dave Siegel Designs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:27:18 PM »
We are not boondockers. With that said I have very limited 12 volt needs. !2 volt water pump, 3 or 4 interior lights, and the retractable step for the front door. I purchased a 45 amp Wizard battery converter/charger. It has a micro processor that slows the fan down for quiet operation a night time. I think that a 12 volt deep cycle battery maybe a group 27 would be sufficient.  I know there are a lot of guys and gals out there that are going to tell me about golf carts batteries and when you add up the price of two to make one 12 volt assembly, it doesn't really fit into my budget.

Dave
            Pinellas Park, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com

Offline Dale MC8

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:11:56 PM »
Get one from Wal Mart or Sears. They have stores in Podunk the last I heard.
Dale
Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »
Group 31 deep cycle from Wal-Mart or Sears is my recommendation.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »
 I get my batterys and toad tires from Wal Mart. Not becuse they are the best tire or batt or have the best price it is becuse there are Wallys most everywhere. Of course you have a coast to coast warrenty buying from them.  HTH
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
I'd vote for NAPA, there are 4 or 5 times as many NAPA stores as there are Walmarts.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
I'd vote for NAPA, there are 4 or 5 times as many NAPA stores as there are Walmarts.

Ed.

I'm with Ed! If it's quality you want it's hard to beat NAPA when you consider that they have strict QC policies, and that they are almost everywhere! Especially PODUNK, USA ! (If there are farms or trucks near by, theres a NAPA!). FWIW BK  ;D 

Now for the disclaimer; the remarks above are merely my own personal opinion, also I have nothing to gain by reccommending them financially as the only connection I have with them is they send me a very large bill every month and I pay it so they'll continue to deliver parts when I call them! OK that being said, I have been using NAPA batteries (and parts) in all of my vehicles for over 20 yrs. That goes for my personal car to the small fleet of big trucks I had in the 90's, to the buses we currently run! In those 20 yrs I've only experienced one battery failure where there was not a NAPA with in a reasonable distance to get it warrantied. But 1 phone call made to my local NAPA, where the battery was originally purchased, and I was told pick up a new battery and bring us the receipt. They not only reimbursed me for the one I bought, but they exchanged it with their top line battery (even though I'd bought a cheapie and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it as it was brand new!) By the way that 1 time it was an 8D bus battery ! just my own biased opinion for what it's worth! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:47:19 PM »
There is a Podunk, CT, Podunk, NY, two Podunks in MI, one in VT and apparently, there once was one in MA, but they can't seem to find it now.

None of them has a Walmart or NAPA.

There is not an East Podunk anywhere.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Dallas

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 03:45:16 AM »
According to Answers.com, Walmart has 6,775 stores in the US and Napa (Owned by Genuine Parts Company, Inc.) has 6000. Either way, you shouldn't be far from either one.

I chose Walmart because of not only the numbers, but ease of access. All Walmarts have a large parking lot where a bus can park. Not all Napa stores have a place big enough and I don't want to carry a battery any farther than I have to.

Either is a good choice, just make sure you get batteries that will fit your needs.

Dallas

GO BUSSING!

Offline Dave Siegel

• Dave Siegel Designs
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 04:20:26 AM »
I have checked with the local Wal-Marts (we have four mega-monster stores near-by) and none of them say they have deep cycle batteries. NAPA does and their prices vary from store to store.

Dave
            Pinellas Park, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com

Dallas

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 04:57:23 AM »
Dave,

Considering the average intelligence of the standard Walmart Employee, I would actaully go to the Walmart nearest you and look for yourself.
You will be looking for, "Deep Cycle" "Marine" "RV" etc.

The ones to stay away from are the combination MArine/start batteries as the are built more lightly than a true deep cycle.

I used the Everstart MAXX Marine which is a combination Deepcycle/start battery, but it does have a 125Ah capacity and seems to work well for my application.

I was surprised you actually got to speak with someone on the phone who can speak english, I've called around here and the person answering usually cannot understand or speak english or speaks nothing but Spanish and/or Ghetto.

Good Luck!

Dallas

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 06:42:11 AM »
According to Answers.com, Walmart has 6,775 stores in the US and Napa (Owned by Genuine Parts Company, Inc.) has 6000. Either way, you shouldn't be far from either one.

I chose Walmart because of not only the numbers, but ease of access. All Walmarts have a large parking lot where a bus can park. Not all Napa stores have a place big enough and I don't want to carry a battery any farther than I have to.

Either is a good choice, just make sure you get batteries that will fit your needs.

Dallas

GO BUSSING!

Dallas very good point! But in NAPA's defense all NAPA store have parts delivery trucks for running parts to the local garages. Id bet a new battery just about all of the would be more than willing to drive the batteries to the coach, and return the core to the store if one were to go in and explain the lack of close parking situation along with giving them the $ or warranty info! FWIW BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Dallas

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 07:36:14 AM »
Bryce,
I agree.
Except it would be my luck that the Napa would be like the one in Florence, SC.... They do not deliver to anyone but cerified repair shops.
And Walmart is open until 9 or later just about everywhere.
But then, my luck would be I'd hit the only Walmart that closes for the managers, sisters mother in Laws, cousins, dogs, neutering.

Dallas

Offline gus

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »
I've never seen a WM that didn't have deep cycle batteries, unfortunately the largest they usually have is Gp 27, especially them small stores. I had to find my Gp 31s at Sams Club but larger WMs probably have them.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Sojourner

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 11:26:33 PM »
Most posts talk about group 31 battery but it not available as true deep cycle. Although it is my favorite starter battery if it 900 or more cca.

However (unless you are already knowledgeable on battery) before you buy your first “house batteries”….do your self a favor to save money & waste of time. Read the following paragraph’s subject titles:

Starting, Marine, and Deep-Cycle Batteries
Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery
Battery Construction Materials
Industrial deep cycle batteries
Plate Thickness

Link to above subjects:
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

It will only take you about 10 minutes of your time. PS..I reread several times of anything I want to learn. And most of my experience came from early years of farming with dad and General Motor Engineering Lab of 26 years. And my life hand-on repairing customer's automotive, trucks to golf carts.

Group 31 come in two version such as “starter” & starter/deep cycle” (which is marine deep cycle). Also come available in 700 cca (Cold Cranking Ampere at 0°F) to about 1000 cca. House battery has NO ca or cca rating but ampere hour rating number. So be don’t misled into battery that will not fit your need. Plus what you pay is base on how much lead weight (usually battery weight) and what retailer buy the most to sell for less. Battery prices is base on what you want from it. Some deep cycle have very thin lead to very thick plate. Next choice is to select a popular brand & source.

Bottom line is “starter battery” is good for 5% discharge. Common discount marine deep cycle is range from 10%, 20% to 50% before need recharge. A true deep cycle is consist of extra heavy plate & large case for the same ampere hour battery as marine or cheap deep cycle version...means many more 50% discharge recharge cycle.

It all depend how often you recharge at what state of charge and how often you want to replace them.

Might add that house battery system must have a Link 10 (formally E-Meter) if you want to save batteries life & down times. Another word it will pay for itself first time.

10 REASONS TO OWN A LINK 10!
http://www.energyoutfitters.com/default.htm?http://www.energyoutfitters.com/products/p_m_electronics/xantrex_link10.shtm

Manual:
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/72/docserve.asp

Have NO connection for profit but to share what out there.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
FWIW,  I have never, ever seen a Group 31 battery, either starting or otherwise, in any Wal-Mart (and I've been in hundreds all across the country).  I have seen them in Sam's Club, but that does me no good since I'm not a member there.  The last time I bought starting batteries at Wal-Mart (to replace, I am not kidding, a pair of 8D's), I have to settle for Group 65 as the largest batteries they had in stock.

To echo Sojourner's comments, it behooves you to read up and learn about the differences between battery types.  Talking about "adjustments" under warranty suggests you are looking at starting batteries, which are unsuitable in any case for house batteries.  Deep-cycle batteries are warranted the same way your TV is -- you need to send them back to the manufacturer, who will make a determination why they failed and decide what sort of compensation, if any, you might be entitled to.  In general, you can go to any distributor for the brand you own to start the warranty process -- it should not matter where you actually bought them.

The concept of bringing the battery back to the store (after it has been used) and getting either a free replacement or a credit towards a new battery, no questions asked, is a concept limited entirely to the highly competitive automotive starting battery market.  And, BTW, you will note that heavy-duty sizes such as 8D, 4D, and sometimes even Group 31, do not qualify for this type of warranty even in the stores and brand names that usually offer it.

You may want to read this topic:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4329.0

Lots of good discussion there, and do check out the other link I posted in that topic (in addition to the same one Sojourner posted):
http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

HTH.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal