Author Topic: tire size / inquiring mind wants to know...  (Read 11672 times)

Offline coolbus

tire size / inquiring mind wants to know...
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:15:22 PM »
My bus (Prevost Champion) has 11R 22.5 tires up front,  as well as on the rear duals. The tags, however, are 10R 22.5  I had a blow out last week, and found that the spare tire (11R 22.5) would NOT fit the tag position. Serious clearance / rubbing problem.  >:(

Is it possible that the previous owner changed out all the 10R size for 11R, but left the tags alone? Did my bus come with 10R size tires all the  way around?  ???

It doesn't make cense to have two sizes on tires on one bus. I called Prevost Car in Quebec, they thought all the tires should be the same size; couldn't say what that should be.  :-\

Any other Champion owners have any thoughts? (The bus is 35' long, if it matters)  :)

thanks for your input!

Mark

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: tire size / inquiring mind wants to know...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »
First of all Mark, yes all the tires should be the same size! That said I'd first check the Manufactures VIN plate. It should give you the weight capacities per axle & gross, it should also list the tire sizes & pressures per axle, as well as the VIN & Date of MFG. FWIW BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:22:43 AM »
Yes the vin plate has all the specifics on it and will tell you what tires were really supposed to be on your bus. souds like someone changed from the original.  Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:57:05 AM »
Mark -

Never heard of a 35-foot, three-axle Prevost Champion, and that's after 25+ years in the bus industry.

Prevost did make some 35-foot coaches, but they were all two-axle models.

The only coach I ever heard of having different sized tires on it OEM was the MCI MC-6 - tags were smaller than front/drive axle.

If the 11R-22.5s don't fit the tag, I'd suspect something to do with the wheel offset or width.  Try a different wheel and see what happens.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline coolbus

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »
The clearance problem is with the height of the11R tires. It literally rubs on a frame member near the top of the tire. Also, there is no wheel hump (wheel well) for the tags. but there is for the drive axel. Seems like if they were meant for the same size tires, they would have made wheel wells for the tags as well.  ???

The bus is definately a 3 axel, 35 footer!  :)

maybe I can get rid of the tag axel @$#'y altogether?

thanks

Mark

Offline Hartley

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »
Sounds like that was a custom setup and maybe was a special order for a special application
like a weight limited roadway or cargo hauler.

The mystery is the 35 foot part. It is an odd setup, Prevost usually didn't build a 35 with 3 axles
from what I can tell. But stranger things have been built. It is odd that there is no clearance for the tag axle and tire combo.. That is truly a mystery.

Or, It was a shortend bus?

Dunno on that one....

How about 12R22.5's on the steer and drives and 11R22.5 on the tags? sounds more like it?
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:17:56 AM »
Personally-I would do what you said to do-mainly get rid of the tag axle.  I know that from a stripped out bus to a finished bus with all my junk it including my wife and I with full tanks, only added 3,000lbs to the bus.  I weigh in at 31,000lb and have a 36,000lb gvw, and that's a 40ft'r with 2 axles.  Course my transit does have larger brakes than highway buses-and that's the only negative I could think of-loosing some braking power and maybe a bit of handling stability.  But the tag axle weighs close to a ton, and then that freed up area where the tag was could be enclosed for additional storage!  I know of no other 35ft'r that has 3 axles, except for yours.

As to your tire problem, 10R-22.5 is a little used size of tire.  So if you get a blow out on the road, you'll be hunting alot for that tire.  I would suggest you go with the low profile 295/70R-22.5 that is pretty much the standard of the trucking industry now.  It'll be just about the same diameter at the 10R, and easily replacable if needed.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »
Bus was probably built for the norther tier of Canada where the roads are not that good and you have some Permafrost issues.

the extra axle would distribute the weight better.

Flx made some clippers with a tag axle for this situation.

RJ, The 40 foot Buffs with the bogie had a smaller tire as well

Offline Don4107

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »
Sounds like an interesting coach.  Do you know what it weighs? 
Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter

Offline coolbus

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
good question, as to the weight. I just got it home, havent had the chance to weigh it yet, but will do so soon. It is already converted, so the only variable will be the holding tanks, luggage, etc.

thanks

Mark

Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 12:07:58 PM »
How about a picture?

Offline Stan

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the wheelbase of your 35' Prevost, measured from center of front wheel to center of drive wheel?  Are the tag wheels beside the engine or in front of the engine? As others have said, this is a very unusual bus so there are lots of questions. Since you say that Prevost could not answer your question, this may be a modification done after the bus left the factory.

Offline coolbus

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 02:14:03 PM »
I just measured...

19 feet, 10 1/2 inches center to center.

I will try to post the only picture I have...

thanks

Mark

Offline Stan

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 02:30:17 PM »
coolbus: Yes indeed, you have one cool bus. That 238" wheelbase is pretty much the norm for a 35' T drive with the drive axle as far to the rear as possible. That means the tag wheels have to sit beside the engine which is what appears in your picture. At least you have the option of putting in a 12V71 without having too much overhanging weight!!

Offline Don4107

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
Very nice!  If you stay with the 10 hundred tires be sure to check the date codes on the replacements.  Since they are not very common they could be old stock and not something you want to use.

Good Luck.
Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal