Author Topic: DETROIT DIESELS for Sale by Government.. SERIES 60, Ventilated  (Read 8482 times)

HighTechRedneck

Re: DETROIT DIESELS for Sale by Government.. SERIES 60, Ventilated
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »
The 92 series looks interesting.  But "Ventilated" pretty well describes the 60. ;)

(in all fairness to the govt. liquidators, they did list it as iron and steel scrap.)

Dallas

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 10:45:13 AM »
The 92 series looks interesting.  But "Ventilated" pretty well describes the 60. ;)

(in all fairness to the govt. liquidators, they did list it as iron and steel scrap.)

Nuthin' that a little duct tape and some JB Weld couldn't fix!  ::)

belfert

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 11:13:40 AM »
I'm sorta wondering if it would worth buying just for all the external parts as spares for mine.  It has a real nice crate too.

I suppose the shipping would be sky high if it really weighs 4,000 lbs.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
I'm sorta wondering if it would worth buying just for all the external parts as spares for mine.  It has a real nice crate too.

Brian the turbo alone is worth $300-$400 used not to mention what the computer is worth, plus other parts! I was considering it too, but I got other things I need worse right now! By the way freight shouldn't be too bad, espeacially if you could arrange it with a local company to pick it up as part of a back haul! FWIW BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 11:25:04 AM »
If they ran it so hard they threw a rod, imagine the condition of everything  else.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »
If they ran it so hard they threw a rod, imagine the condition of everything  else.

Jim you have a good point, but on the other hand it could have been defective parts or some private let it overspeed down a hill! As long as I've been around towing & junk yards I've seen plenty of parts recycled cheaply sometimes good, sometimes not. But the key thing to remember is when you buy something like this you are gambling on it, but remember that's why it's cheap. Also looks like the block is the only thing that would be refused as a core that itself means $$$$$$ FWIW BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Hobe

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:53:25 AM »
Seven years ago when I bought my 8V71 Turbo they were advertised as scrap iron. What I got was a brand new motor still in a sealed crate never run. They sold 7 for 3K. I bought one from the high bidder for 3K, because I was late getting there. Been a great motor in my coach. So you never no what you are going to get till you go see, Fred North Florida Bus Conversion

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 12:20:51 PM »
Jim i worked for one of the largest DD dealers in the world from 1960 to 2001 and throwing a rod and breaking the cam in a 60 or 50 series is real common if they are on a Generator or some other equipment that needs 1800 rpm and constant hp they are not a good engine for that the 2 strokes were by far better  i see people talk about  them being a million mile engine but at what cost, that is why the core charge is so high for these engines just my input on this topic

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 12:54:33 PM »
It looks like the DDEC is still on the 92.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
MakeMineA2Stroke,
Did you happen to work for Johnson & Towers on the east coast?

Very big dealer in 70's & 80's with overseas sales.

GP
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline superpickle

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 09:08:49 PM »

Brian the turbo alone is worth $300-$400 used not to mention what the computer is worth, plus other parts! I was considering it too, but I got other things I need worse right now! By the way freight shouldn't be too bad, espeacially if you could arrange it with a local company to pick it up as part of a back haul! FWIW BK  ;D

Shipper needs to be Cleared to get on base to pick it up. And, you have to make an Appointment to do so..
Some of those DRMO guys think they are God on a Stick, and will make you jump threw hoops to get it.. You MAY, have to Load it yourself, That means Bring a Forklift.. BUT, most will Load it on your Truck or Trailer.. Call first to find out !!!
The guy at Holloman AFB is pretty nice.. *Ive bought a Bunch of stuff from him..

Paul... ;D

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 05:26:37 AM »

Shipper needs to be Cleared to get on base to pick it up. And, you have to make an Appointment to do so..
Some of those DRMO guys think they are God on a Stick, and will make you jump threw hoops to get it.. You MAY, have to Load it yourself, That means Bring a Forklift.. BUT, most will Load it on your Truck or Trailer.. Call first to find out !!!
The guy at Holloman AFB is pretty nice.. *Ive bought a Bunch of stuff from him..

Paul... ;D

Ah, yes Paul you bring up some very good points! I forgot to mention that I sora have an inside connection at Warner Robbins as my Uncle just retired from 40 yrs civil service on the base, and he and my cousin both have pick-up trucks and a 16' car trailer! I sometimes forget to add these small details in, when I'm looking at something and talking to others about it! LOL ! BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 06:38:09 AM »
Damn, what are you asking us for?  just go get it, could be a real steal.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

belfert

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 08:56:50 AM »
Damn, what are you asking us for?  just go get it, could be a real steal.

Not sure who you are replying to here.  Nobody has any idea what the actual price the Series 60 will go for.  If it goes for a few hundred it would probably be worth it if the shipping isn't too bad.

I've decided I will probably have to pass as I wouldn't have any way to get that beast home from the freight terminal nor a way to move it around at home.  I suppose I could rent a truck to get it home, but still no way to get it out of the truck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal