Author Topic: Service intervals  (Read 3332 times)

Offline tekebird

Service intervals
« on: June 27, 2007, 07:32:44 PM »
What does everyone abide by for service intervals on the following:

Engine oil
Trans oil manual
trans oil auto
fuel filters
air filters (oil bath)

Thread prompted by Dutch changing his fuel filters at 2000 miles when driving in the mountains( 4-6 k on flat ground)

anyone care to educate me as to the logic in this.....perhaps I am oblivious to something

here are my intervals

Engine Oil 10-15k or by oil analysis
Trans Oil Manual, as needed 04 left my company with 70k or so on it's trans oil with glowing analyisis
Trans Oil Auto.  this is a hard one as the three autos we have in buses all have different factory reccomended intervals..which are followed.
Fuel Filters 15-30k, generally every other oil change
Air Filters.  Generally every other oil change
Chassis Lube every 5-7k

Offline dutch

Re: Service intervals
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:54:21 PM »
yeah i might give the primary and secondary more miles/time before i change them but i discovered presumably alge in them so ever since i took the diesel tank out and cleaned it im still a bit paranoid that the filters have alge in them.
might go for 6000-9000 miles on the fuelfilters

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:58:13 PM »
I change oil, filter, fuel filters, lub, adjust brakes check diff oil 10-12 K Have gone 15K when real busy. Change tran filter about one a year. Air filter as needed.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »
if you had the tank out and cleaned you should not have an issue unless you let the thing sit around less than full

When you get hwere you are going fill it before parking...get home fill it before parking

this will help limit the alge possibilities as well as condensation ( water in the fuel)

Did you get copies of the manuals yet...I beleive the 06 maint manual has service intervals listed in it.

belfert

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:13:52 PM »
Personally, I plan to change oil, oil filters, and fuel filter plus lube chassis once a year.  The Series 60 can go 15,000 miles between oil changes easy.  I don't do 15,000 miles a year right now so I just do oil change with lube and fuel filters once a year.  I haven't decided on tranny service intervals yet.  Should probably be yearly unless I go to Transynd. 

Air filter as necessary when it gets dirty.

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 08:21:49 PM »
I have become a big believer in oil analysis. It will keep you from spending unnecessarily by changing your oil to often, and will keep you from spending unnecessarily by not changing often enough (worn out motor, trans, etc.).
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Dreamscape

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »
Engine oil- analysis
Oil filter-every oil change
Air filter-when needed
Fuel filters-6K miles
Lubrication-6K miles
Rear end-check/add as nec. 6K
Trans.-check/add as nec. 6K

This may not be by da book, I have just done it to become familiar with whats needed and how to do it properly. Always have spares on board, 2 cases of 40 wt. and extra belts. Checking them every service along with hoses.
Once we start traveling a lot I may change intervals. Right now its been once a year. I know, I know, drive it, drive it and hear it scream. Soon, very soon.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »
For me it's  1x p/year, in deep winter I bring the bus in for oil change, lube, check/adjust brakes, trans, filters, check air bags, check coolant, etc.,

We're only running about 12K miles p/year right now.  Hopefully more in the future.

Hope this helps, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »
Jiffy Lube (and others) have everyone convinced that 3k is the max oil for automobiles - B***S*** - OIL (or EARL for the southern folks) does NOT wear out - it becomes contaminated - unless you idle for extended periods, operate in dusty climates, or like to waste money and oil - you can go a minimum 15k on 2 strokes and 30 k on 4 strokes before an oil/filter change is necessary and more than 50% longer if using ULSD - everything you NEED TO KNOW is found in the FACTORY LINK BELOW - HTH

(Disclaimer: normal mills w/ no problems regularly serviced by knowledgable mechanics)

Save your money on after market and put it in HIGH QUALITY fluids and filters- FWIW

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/Support/On-Highway/Manuals/Lubricants_Fuels_Coolants/OilFuelFilterBulletin_7SE270_010307.pdf
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 12:05:31 AM »
I also follow the 1x per year regimen, simply because it's easier for me to handle all of the fluid changes and PM "all at once", during the downtime in winter and early spring between travel times. We vary between 8k-13k a year, although this year will certainly come up short, sad to say.

Overly-frequent fluid and media changes (without just cause) are waste of time, $, and natural resources. And likely a false sense of security.

My $0.02,
Brian B.
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »
I do once a year for engine oil and fuel and oil filters and chassis lube.  I run transynd, so that is every 25k miles.  Air filter is as it needs it.

The engine oil and filters is way overkill, but is relatively inexpensive. Pprobably the chassis lube is good, even if it just sits, especially doing the kingpins.

I've only been putting on 7k to 10k per year, but some of those miles and just sitting days are in the very dusty, windy desert.  One of my early oil anaysis came bak with way high levels of silica - read sand.  I'm extra careful about diretion of wind when I park in the desert now, and I figure the oil change is cheap insurance.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline lostagain

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »
Once a year for oil, filter. 10 to 15 000 km. Lube twice a year. Manual trans. every 2 or 3 years. Same with coolant. Other things as needed.
On the hockey team,s 102D3, S60, they were doing it every 5000km. I said that was too often. So I installed a hour meter, and we do it every 250 hrs.
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »
Once a year of 8000 miles on oil, filter, and chassis lube. I have it done professionally which gives me two benefits. First, I don't have the capability to handle 8 gallons of used oil, and second, I get a professional to inspect the coach and double check my own work, or point out things I've missed
or overlooked.  

Fuel filter is changed when needed. I use a FuelPro, so it's easy to tell when it's needed. It's been averaging about once a year, also.

Air filter is changed as necessary. There's a vaccuum gauge on the intake to give me some indication when it's getting time. I'll sometimes pull it and blow it out with high pressure air if it's not too dirty. I don't typically run gravel roads, so it lasts a long time. Last one went 2 years.

Tranny filter is changed every 2nd or 3rd time I change the engine oil.

Differential is checked every time the engine oil is changed.

Coolant change every 5 years.

We average about 10K miles a year.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline gg04

• Full throttle 'til you see God
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »
High quality factory?????  Last bunch A DD dealer tried to sell me were Made In China...Packages marked made in the USA...So I think I will stay with made in the USA aftermarket...All filters are just paper make sure its a good grade and small particle filtration size...Its the crap floating around in your engine that wears it out quit circulating it around an it will last nearly indefinately..gg04
If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal