Author Topic: Changing turn & Stop lamps to LED  (Read 20229 times)

NCbob

Changing turn & Stop lamps to LED
« on: May 12, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »
After searching for replacement lenses for my turn and stop lamps (to no avail) I'm considering converting both to 24V LED's.  But this is a new world to me.  Somewhere in the back of my mind I get the feeling that it ain't gonna be that easy.

It strikes me that all the LED stop and tail lights I've seen have 3 leads while the incandescant's have either only 1 (internally grounded) or 2 (externally grounded).  And the question also comes to mind...will I need a special flasher to operate these new lamps? Another question is:  Will I also have to change the side (marker) turn signal lamps in order to keep the complete circuit LED?

I've searched all over the 'net (including this board) and can't find the info I'm looking for.

I'll need (4) 5" (2 Amber and 2 Red) + the two side markers (Amber) for the turn circuit and (2) 7"  LED's for the Stop lamps.

Oh, my bus is an MC5A.

Has anyone done this...please?

NCbob

Offline orangepeel91

Re: Changing turn & Stop lamps to LED
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:53:16 AM »
Even though I havn't taken delivery of my bus yet it does have LEd stop etc already. Trucklite is the only source for the big 7" lights. You do NOT want to know what they cost. If you do this you will be glad you only have two of them. It has just the rear lights as LED. The side and front turn signals are still regular lightbulbs along with all the roof markers. The turn signals work as normal. I don't know what would happen with all LED. Also if you do not want to replace the entire light there are LED replacements for lightbulbs available that work in the original fixture.
Sean

Offline Rich (Prevost)

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:57:02 AM »
We have a couple of options on your 5A. The big 7" is not expensive through us. I think it's around $50 IN 24V. The 4" are around $35ea. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Rich
800-468-5287

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:06:58 AM »
Bob,

Busswarrior on the BNO fleamarket(April 16) had some 7" listed for $20 each.

Don't know he he still has any though.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:17:02 PM »
NCbob, I just suffered through the same experience with my 1984 9. Here is what I did. I was able to secure 4 inch and 7 inch LEDs 24 volt from:

http://www.etruckpart.com/index.htm

When ordering see if you can get the slimmer version of the 7 inch light. Each 7 inch light was $44.00 The red and amber 4 inch lights were 24+ per.  The pigtail connections were important to me as they are water tight, yet replaceable. In addition, these lights come with a lifetime warranty! They are rated specifically for 24 volt systems so I maintain my warranty. The wiring followed my schematic and I was able to make several grounds into one common ground connection. Made it look better and professional. I also wanted to make sure I could keep the original housing and not have to make modifications the original look of the bus.

Each light works awesome and look fantastic, particularly at night. I went with the lights with the most LED per lamp as I wanted brightness and visibility.

I have only run into a bit of a problem with the front turn signal lamps. The original housing unit and light assembly are not standard sizes. I have found a standard LED lamp and will modify a 5 inch stainless steel washer to act as a retainer for the lamp.  They too look awesome at night and are 24 volts.

I can send you pictures if desired.

Good luck! ;D

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

NCbob

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 02:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys... I'm sure there'll be more...but  Grant if you have the time I'd sure love to see those 7" Stop lights!
One of my BIG concerns is the heavy fog we have here in the mountains.  I don't want somone to commit vehicular sodomy into my polished engine compartment doors.   My e-mail is in my profile.  Thanks.  NCbob

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 04:40:23 PM »
I have two 7" on each side that were originally sealed lights.  I changed them to LED (about $250 for the four).  The first thing I did was to try the turn indicator to make sure it would work-and it did.  Love the look and the brightness (I run with lights on).  Good LUck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 06:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys... I'm sure there'll be more...but  Grant if you have the time I'd sure love to see those 7" Stop lights!
One of my BIG concerns is the heavy fog we have here in the mountains.  I don't want somone to commit vehicular sodomy into my polished engine compartment doors.   My e-mail is in my profile.  Thanks.  NCbob

Post the pics here.  I'd like to see them installed in an MC9 also.

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:17:21 PM »
I put those 7 inch leds on my horse trailer. They were $35 Canadian at Prnicess Auto.

There are BRIGHT!!

Fred Mc.

Offline BJ

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 06:10:22 AM »
Grantgoold   thanks for the info. Ordered the red 4" with everything but the mounting brks. do I need that also?

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »
BJ, it all depends on how you will mount the lights. If they are going into the standard rear light assembly then the units I have are mounted using the standard 4 inch rubber grommet. Other applications like the front do not fit!  Good luck. If mom will let me sneak away to the bus today, I will take some pictures of the rear units and post them.

I hope to be able to get the fronts done in the next two weeks.
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 05:33:45 PM »
As promised here are the pictures of the rear LED lamps
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »
Here's something interesting.  An LED conversion/update kit from MCI.  Price has to be scary.  I'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.mcicoach.com/Parts-Service-Support/partsSpecialsNewsLED.htm

Offline BJ

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 08:55:27 PM »
I just ordered 2 4" red led's from etruckparts (thanks for the info on this board) and they were very reasonable priced with all the hook up (pigtails) and gskt for around $42.00

belfert

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 06:04:54 AM »
Here's something interesting.  An LED conversion/update kit from MCI.  Price has to be scary.  I'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.mcicoach.com/Parts-Service-Support/partsSpecialsNewsLED.htm

The MCI kit is $1609.38 if you buy online through the MCI parts store.  A little steep if you ask me.

Brian Elfert

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal