Author Topic: Changing turn & Stop lamps to LED  (Read 20217 times)

NCbob

Re: Changing turn & Stop lamps to LED
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2006, 03:49:33 AM »
Hey Grant....those look AWESOME !!!!!  I've discovered that the aluminum housings for all my rear lamps are deterioated to the point where I should consider another housing.  Your bus is a 9 I believe.  I'm wondering if I might be able to adapt the 9 Stop, turn and tail lamp housing to my 5?  I'd have to measure the distance between the peaks of the stainless paneling in order to know.  Do you know this measurement? 

Needless to say I have got a 9 Parts Book so I have no way of knowing what MCI charges for those housings.  I'm probably whistling in the wind.

NCbob

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2006, 06:22:02 AM »
NCbob, thanks for the compliments. I am really trying to keep some of the original look of the bus. Yes I have the 9 and just happen to have the bus parked out front. The tail light assembly measures 19 inches top to bottom and 8.5 inches side to side. I can tell you the the housings from MCI are outrageous at about $400.00 per side (yes just the housing). I would try Sam Caylor at Caylor supply in Kansas to see if he has some used assemblies. In the end, if you are going to modify the assemblies to a point of complete change, and you are not really focused on original look, you may even want to watch ebay or other sites for semi truck parts, I have seen complete assemblies for pennies.

I hope to get the front LED lights completed this week.

Good luck!

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline BJ

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 12:13:43 AM »
GRANTGOOLD:   sorry for so many questions but did you remove the standard reflectory housing on the 4"red tailights. Needless to say I haven't looked at anything yet. Just opened the box and said oops! Now what! Great pictures.

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2006, 06:19:09 AM »
BJ, you can ask as many questions as you like. I love learning from others as we struggle to deal with this addiction.  ;D

As far as the rear four inch tail lights, the entire units came out and were replaced with new LED's and the four inch rubber gasket. They fit fine in the rear.

As far as the front four inch turn signals, that is a whole different deal. The fronts are requiring signficant modification with a five inch stainless steel ring to act as a retainer given the odd size of the front housing and limitations to the depth of the light. I will begin working on those as soon as the lights arrive.

Hope this helps.

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

belfert

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 11:44:09 AM »
Brian, 2 names come to mind on this first check with J.D. since he is so close. Also call Rich at International Bus Parts I don't have his # handy but I know he advertises and post's here regularly so the # is here somewhere or I'll bet Jack Conrad or some of the others know it by heart! Knuckle

I tried JD and he doesn't have anything in marker lights, at least not LED.

Brian Elfert

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2006, 10:13:31 AM »

I tried JD and he doesn't have anything in marker lights, at least not LED.

Brian Elfert

Brian give Rich at IBP a call, not to long ago we talked and he has some that will work on either 12/24 volts! :) ;) :D ;D 8)  Knuckle 8) ;D :D ;) :)[/b]
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal