Author Topic: changing tires on road.  (Read 7375 times)

Offline ttomas

changing tires on road.
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »
How do you guys move tires around from tag to front or drive? even though I have the shop apply never seize, the 750lbs +- of torque on the lug nuts is to great for me to break loose. Thanks Tomas

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Re: changing tires on road.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 02:13:11 PM »
 You should not have used lug nut and neversieze in the same sentance!!! Maybe not even in the same post!!! Do a search of the archives on this subject.

Are you sure you are useing 750 lbs of torque? Where did you get that figure from?
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »
Tomas, 750# is a bit too tight, and the manuf. never recommend any lubricants on the threads, since this leads to even higher torque values. 550 ft. lbs. dry is more like it.

I carry a $99 el-cheapo HF 1" impact and 11 gal. "punk" tank, everything plumbed with 1/2" fittings, and then a 25' 1/2" hose to the dry tank of my bus. It can bust off the 10 nuts in about 5 minutes, accounting for the slight breaks to refill the punk tank (it's a very inefficient gun). I also have run-up blocks for the outside duals, a 12 ton and 20 ton bottle jack, and a 3/4" x 48" long, 650 ft. lb. torque wrench and 5:1 multiplier (for just in case I have no air). My dad-in-law also gave me one of those cool "tire-monkey" bars that can walk the big tires around the axle "like buttah". This all fits in a big footlocker I keep in my back bay and I never leave home w/o it.

All told, I have about $500 invested in this system, but will never have to wait for tire service again. Plus, no tire monkey's going to put 1500# on one of my studs with their big IR hawgs.

FWIW and HTH,
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »
Some manufactures do approve lubricant. The 550 lbs may not be right for his application.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 03:00:34 PM »
Some manufactures do approve lubricant. The 550 lbs may not be right for his application.

Yes you are correct! I just recently found out Setra does! Dad was reading the operators manual (boring stuff), while I was doing some work lately and he pointed it out to me that they do suggest "put a light coat of thin oil on the lug stud before installing the lugnut."
I was flabbergasted!! After all the info that was discussed here awhile back I quit using "antiseize" (a life long practice) after finding out I was doing the "wrong thing." Now I find that it's "suggested"  ???  :-\  :-[ ! Well I don't use the anti seize as heavily as I used too, but I do put a little on now!  FWIW!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline lesrMC9

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 03:27:11 PM »
here is my 2 Canadian Pesos worth; as a trucker for 39 years I alway heard NOT to lubricate, then reading torque values [ know not which manufacture's web site ] I read IF you  do  lubricate  use only 3 drops of 30 wt oil per stud/nut, then you have to use 100 - 150 lbs less torque
but I'm like Busted Knuckle, do it my way and use a little never sez and check my nuts frequently, just to make sure they feel good ::) :D
Les R mc9

Offline Timkar

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the chuckle LES  ;D ;D ;D

"check my nuts frequently, just to make sure they feel good" 
Les R mc9
Cawston, British Columbia

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »
. . .  IF you  do  lubricate  use only 3 drops of 30 wt oil per stud/nut, then you have to use 100 - 150 lbs less torque . . . . .
Les R mc9

Sage advice concerning reducing the applied torque IF lube is used
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 05:22:10 PM »
The service manual for my bus calls for 450 to 500 lbs torque, dry. If I reduce that by 100 to 150 lbs it would be from 300 to 350 lbs. Does not sound right to me?
 I've always used "Anti Seize" on everything but after reading everything I could find including the Anti Seize type products literature, I have stopped using it on lugnuts. Absolutely nobody recommends using it.
 The nice thing about bus's is we can do it our way.
                                                                           HTH Jim

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »
Those truck tire shops put the lugs on so tight even my 1" air impact wrench wouldn't bust em loose. I had 10 ft of cheater pipe in a bud wrench and you could use it for a springboard. I boght an electreic impact for the road and found it worked better that the air. The only trouble with these big tools as you get older you need a crane to pick em up. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline Devin & Amy

• FMCA#377731
  • 1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »
Hey Jerry,
What does that electric impact draw in amps?
Devin
Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!

Offline lesrMC9

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 08:21:44 PM »
my craftsman 1/2 in draws 7.5 amps; have used it with a 1500 watt inverter modified synwave

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 08:47:43 PM »
 I have had 2 friends with electric impacts, I was really impressed with what they could do. Are you saying you have used a 1/2 inch electric on bus lugnuts?

Offline Stan

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 05:12:11 AM »
I had wheels off and on many times in the yard doing maintenance but never planned on changing a wheel on the road so I didn't carry a spare. I replaced all the tires when they were five years old and stopped for coffee every two hours when driving. At every coffee stop I did a walk around, felt all the hubs, thumped all the tires and had a general look for any problem. I never had a tire problem during the life of the tire but I carried the necessary tools to switch wheels around if necessary. I also carried road service insurance as a back-up.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 06:19:18 AM »
Just my observation, but the electric impacts I have used were more abusive to the threads. I've even had them foul the threads while backing the nut off.  :(  & I always put the nuts on with a torque wrench.

My preference is the 10-1, 2000 lb-in multiplier I got off ebay. It took a while, but I was able to get one cheaper than a big impact wrench.  :)

Over tightening the lug nuts will cause the studs to fail sooner & in stud piloted wheels -can ruin the rim by crushing the ball seat. Having the center crack out of a bud wheel can't be good either.  :o
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal