Author Topic: windshield replacement  (Read 2052 times)

Offline christopher

windshield replacement
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:35:42 PM »
is this hard to do or do i need a glass guy which i do not have?
chris

Offline Dale MC8

Re: windshield replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »
Nope and nope. You need the new windshield and a NEW gasket thingy [sorry, the right word escaped me - I hate these Sr moments.] Check the archives here and on the BNO board and you'll find a load of first person reports on this subject. More than you need!! LOL
HTH....Dale MC8
Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.

Offline Sam 4106

Re: windshield replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:03:14 PM »
Hi Christopher,
I will answer with a qualified yes. Depending on your willingness to try new things and the availability of a good helper you can install a new windshield. We had both windshields in our GM 4106 replaced by professionals and I watched them do it, one on the inside and one on the outside. After that I installed 10 windows in the sides of our Prevost Le Mirage XL alone. I bought the special tool for installing the spline into the gasket surrounding the glass and that made that job a lot easier. Be sure to apply plenty of soapy water to the gasket and glass to facilitate the job and take your time. I made my own tools for helping get the glass into the gasket out of plastic about 1/4" thick by 1 1/4" wide and 6" long. I sanded a long tapper on one flat side and rounded the nose on each one. My first try I used wood tools but they kept breaking so I went to the plastic ones and had no further problems. I also used a scaffold to work from and that made the job easier and safer.
Good luck, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal