Author Topic: SC to TN - Not a Bad Trip So Far... Except for..  (Read 9372 times)

Dallas

SC to TN - Not a Bad Trip So Far... Except for..
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:00:04 AM »
Well, Here's an update on our trip so far.

We left SOB, SC and headed out toward Greenville, SC to visit with Jon and Mandy and the chilluns' (NewbeeMC9) but decided to stop at Chester State Park for the night.
Chester is a beautiful park with a lake and easy access to most of the amenities.
Power is 20 and 30 amp, each site has water but there is no sewer, you have to go to a central dumpsite.

The next day we decided that it was so nice and quiet that we would stay another day and head out on Thursday.

Thursday came so we packed up and headed on west, using the GPS to route us on to Jons place.

Not a bad trip so far...

As we got to The Greenville-Spartanburg area, the road we were to turn on wasn't anywhere to be found. This was Using MS Streets and Trips. (My Delorme Data CD was corrupted and unuseable).
We ended up going through downtown Spartanburg, SC. Not my most favorite thing to do, believe me!

We finally got through town, but ended up way north of where we should have been so we decided to go on up to the Palmetto Cove Campground where Kyles mini rally was going to take place.

Not a bad trip so far...

As we got out to the highway that would take us to the campground, we ran into some stoplights. Most of which I was either able to go on through because they were green or had time to stop. Except one.

I topped a hill and started down around a curve and right in front of me was a yellow light. I stomped on the brakes and slowed down, but was moving too fast to make the stop... I ran the red light.

The brakes didn't feel like they had worked right, so I started looking for a place to pull off and adjust them. Wouldn't you know, all vestiges of pull offs disappeared.

We finally made it to Palmetto Cove and had a great time meeting some great people, eating lots of great food and generally having fun.

Sunday I crawled under the bus and adjusted the brakes up for a Monday departure enconvoy with NCbob, Jack Conrad and Uncle Ned.

Monday things started out OK, but the brakes still didn't feel quite right. We made it about halfway to Franklin when I passed through another red light while my foot was flat on the floor with the brake pedal under it. Quite a bit of pucker factor was building up, since I knew we had a bunch of sharp curves and steep descents coming up.

We drove for awhile looking for a spot to pull off that was large enough to get a couple of buses into so I could work on the brakes some more.
Just before we hit the worst part of the route, we found a place to get off. Uncle Ned pulled in behind us and let us know we had smoked the tires on the front of the bus, but nothing from the back. He asked if we needed him to help and I figured I could either fix it there or have it towed so I sent him on leting him know we'd be along later, hopefully.

I got down under the bus and adjusted the brakes up as tight as they would go, but still had nothing on the pedal. I got under again and looked closer and found the actuator rods from the cans had been cut too short when the previous owner had new cans put on. The only thing I could do was screw the clevises out as far as I could which finally gave me enough brake to go again.

We got back on the road and made it to Clayton where we stopped for groceries and met Bob, Jack and Ned coning back to see if they could help.

From Clayton to Franklin, Bob led us to his campground without further problems.

Now we are at the campground and as soon as the gravel dries up this morning I plan on replacing the actuator rods of which I have an extra set.

Well, that's all for now, hopefully we'll have further updates as we go along.

Dallas

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: SC to TN - Not a Bad Trip So Far... Except for..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:07:05 AM »
Well glad to hear the update! Sorry to hear about the trouble with MS Streets & Trips though, I have always had great results using it! Really sorry to hear about the brake situation! Just be sure that ALL is OK before heading out again! I know you know the importance of safety. I just wanna remaind you that you an Cat are precious cargo (I guess the kitty's are too, I'm just not "big" on 'm as I'm alergic to 'm). Besides ya gotta make it here in one piece, we got lots to do before the rally and the list of other stuff is getting longer! LOL! Well enjoy the great company you are presently with, keep the updates coming and I'll keep a light on for ya! LOL!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Ncbob

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
Cat & Dallas and Jackie and I just saw Jack & Paula off on their way to AL and Uncle Ned and Wilma left for Robbinsville, NC where Ned will no doubt offload the 750 Honda motorcycle for a few exciting runs up and down the Dragon!

I'm considering most everything this side of sabotage to keep the Farnsworth's here with us for a few more days before they leave for points west.  Once BK gets his mitts on them my bet is he's gonna hide them away over there in TN and we won't see them too often in the future.

But to be fair...our loss will definitely be his gain and they'll all be quite happy with their new home.

In the meanwhile there's no doubt that Dallas and I can find enough devilment to keep both the girls on their toes.

NCbob

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:46:11 AM »
Quote from: NCbob
I'm considering most everything this side of sabotage to keep the Farnsworth's here with us for a few more days before they leave for points west.
NCbob                           

Bob ya know the thought of sabotage came to mind when I was reading Dallas's post about the brake trouble! But yer sposed to wait until they get there to sabotage them, not on the way! LOL!

Once BK gets his mitts on them my bet is he's gonna hide them away over there in TN and we won't see them too often in the future.
NCbob           

Now that ain't fair or true! They won't be hidden, and y'alls welcome to come on over anytime! We'll leave a light on fer ya!

But to be fair...our loss will definitely be his gain and they'll all be quite happy with their new home.
NCbob         

Well I do hope that we'll all be quite HAPPY HERE! But to be honest I'm thinking (yeah I know that's dangerous {especially with out supervision} about maybe making a "small Busnut stop over anytime while passing thru grounds" outta the place. It won't happen over night, but a little here an a little there and we might have a cool little stop over point here!

AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE! ANYBODY & EVERYBODY ARE WELCOME ANYTIME!

and I'm sure Dallas 'n Cat feel the same way!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:54:58 AM »
BK, Dallas and I are really looking forward to getting to TN.  It will be nice to finally meet you.  So far Bob and Dallas have behaved but I think they are both napping so they can get rested up and run Jackie and I ragged.  We like being near B & J because they are both really neat people with a wonderful sense of humor.  Bob's is a little more whacked  than Jackie's, kinda like mine and D's. 

When Dallas said we had a pucker factor, he was not joking.  I was scared to death and he was to although neither of us let on to the other how bad we knew it was.  Fortunately God was with us and we made it safely. 

It is really nice to relax and just enjoy spending time with friends.

Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:33:43 AM »
Quote from: bubbaqgal
Bob and Dallas have behaved but I think they are both napping so they can get rested up and run Jackie and I ragged. 
Cat           

Let 'm sleep. Rumor has it they both need their beauty rest! And plenty of it, at that! LOL!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:06:45 AM »
Dallas & Cat,

That story made me pucker up while I was reading it....LOL   ;D

Glad you got that resolved and your safe with Jackie & Bob.

Keep us informed on your trip, but a little less drama on your next leg.  ;)

Cliff & Julie

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Ncbob

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »
BK, we know they're going to be happier than two kittens in a box, over your way, as will you and your folks when they get there but you have to understand that I don't manage to muster too many real friends because I'm such a weird character so I want to hang onto those few I have.  :D

But like all good things we have to share our special people with the rest of the world so I have to turn 'em loose to make someone else's life as happy as they've made ours.

I'll shed a tear or two....but I'm a big boy now and will look forward to a happy reunion with them one of these days when we got over to TN to meet you and your family.  It might take a bit of doing 'cause we don't move as fast as some of you young folks but ya never know.

NCbob

Dallas

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 04:33:23 AM »
Well,
Here we are again, plugging along toward Tennessee!

We left Bob's place Saturday morning and spent the weekend at a flea market in Whittier, NC at a place called "Uncle Bills". They have RV hookups there with full hookups for $12/night.
It's right on US 74 and the campsites are all along the river. A really lovely place!
Across the road is Fallins RV supply where we found some stuff we needed. Prices were higher than camping world, but the people there were friendly and knew what they were talking about.

We left Uncle Bill's yesterday morning, (tuesday), and wound our way down through the Nantahala National Forest. The road is mostly 4 lane except for a 20 mile section that is narrow 2 lane with lot's of ups and downs and arounds. None of the curves was less than 35 mph and tour/charter buses use that road all the time.
There are some steep sections, but I made it quite easily with my 6-71 usually staying in 3rd gear. The down hill portions approach 7% but are seldom longer than 3/4 of a mile.

The bus ran well all the way except for a stupid minor glitch that was my fault. I fixed it with a small drill bit and a nail.

After we left Murphy, NC we turned off on Spur 60 and followed that to 60 and then to US76. A little bit of 2 lane but the speed was good. Once we reached 515 the speed limit went up to 65 in a lot of places.

We turned off on SR53 and headed west to Calhoun, Ga then south on I75 to Adairsville, Ga where we fueled and stayed at a campground for the night. The place is called "Harvest Moon RV Park" and has pool, cable, good wifi, (we are connected at 11mbps) and a lot of pull throughs.

Today we'll be heading down to Rockmart, Ga. to meet Charlie Beatenbo and his lovely wife for breakfast and then it's on to Rome, Ga. and across SR20 to the Alabama border where the road turns into SR9. Tonight we'll spend the night somewhere around Huntsville or Florence, Al. and should arrive in Union City late tomorrow night or friday.

Then the real work can start when we start setting up for the September Rally at Bryces.

I hope we get to see lot's of friends there, both those we've met and those we have yet to meet.

And that's all the news that is the news in the travels and travails Millie the Queen of the Silver Dollar.

More later

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 05:03:20 AM »
Dallas & Cat,
   We are at Hazel Green, just north of Huntsville.  Call us when you get in the area.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Hartley

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 02:20:30 PM »
Dallas & Cat,

You are aware that we have relocated to Tennessee also.

We bought 17 acres in Bloomington Springs which is 70 miles East of Nashville off I-40 at exit 280.
(West of Cookeville TN on hwy 56N ) All the goodies and stores and plenty of attractions too...

When you get a chance check my bbs for a few pictures.

http://www.rvbus.net

Go to the bbs from there.

We are awaiting the power company to finish running lines and power to us which should
be done in a day or three... We have been on generator since July 15th full time which has been a bit expensive but the old Onan 10kw is still running.

As soon as we have power I will have spaces available with 30/50 amp power here in our almost flat valley land. Still working on the water situation but have access to a nice natural spring.

We will be looking for someone who is fairly able bodied to help out in getting the stuff done to make the place even more livable. I just bought a monster Trencher that needs a lot of work to fix up so I can dig a bunch of trenches for water lines and cables. I will have limited wireless internet available to a small area. There is plenty of work in the area in just about anything that you would want to do.

You ought to see the deer and other critters that visit here every day and night...

Deer, Weasels, Beavers building dams & lots more.

Anyway, Welcome to Tennessee......

Dave....
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Ncbob

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 06:28:51 PM »
And the good news is:  Dallas & Cat made it to BK's in Union City.  I just got off the phone with Cat and they'd even managed to spend a few minutes with Jack & Paula Conrad (for a few hugs...I'm told) and then on to BK's.

Not totally without mishap though...but I'll let Dallas tell you about it.

Just so happy they made it safely.

Whoopie!!!!!!!
NCbob

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 01:21:54 PM »
Yes, we made it safely.  I'll let Dallas fill you in on the details of our fixing a broken brake spring as soon as he has rested enough to get this thoughts to paper, or puter.  I will tell you that I got to pack some bearings and, strangely enough, that is something that I enjoy doing.  Yeah, yeah, I know....a woman that likes to wash dishes and pack bearings.  You all knew I wasn't quite right when you found out I was married to Dallas.  LOL 

Bryce drove us around a bit today to show us our new town and introduce us to a few vendors and friends.  Looks like an area we can be happy in.  I am looking forward to getting down to business planning the rally and working around here. Even the cats seem to like it here. 

How about you guys letting us know if you are definitely coming to the rally, are hoping and planning to come or if you know you definitely cannot make it.  That way we can kind of get a feel for how many to tentatively plan for.  We will be checking for more specifics soon but for now we need to have a rough idea of what arrangements we need to make.  Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline Slow Rider

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »
Hi Cat,

I will DEFINATELY  be wishing I was there :)  Oh, if you need to find an event to keep everyone busy, I know of a bus that you could have them fix the ac on  :)   I am glad you made it safe and sound, and I will be back to see you as soon as possible.

Frank
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
Hi Dallas & Cat,

We are glad you made it to Tenn. safe and sound.

Good Luck in your new home town!

Nick & Michelle
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal