Author Topic: Low underpass  (Read 7750 times)

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
Low underpass
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »
Alright, I admit it, I never thught I'd run into a low underpass situation here in the west, much less in San Diego.  My coach is about 13 feet tall with the solar panels, air horns and low profile air conditioners, and even the lateral arm awnings on the top.

I was driving a bunch of my family to the airport after a family renion - seemed natural to take a high passenger capacity vehicle, not to mention eveyone always seems to love riding in the bus. 

Terminal 2 where most of the flights leave from these days, and one that was built in the last 20 years, has a pedestrian overpass that is only 12' 2" high.  I had to back out while the trafic cops stopped traffic.  They were very nice, said it happens all the time.

Very irritating, and I guess I won't drive the bus there again.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: Low underpass
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »
Jim,

Always one of my fears having a taller coach!

Glad that you stopped in time......

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

belfert

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »
I'm worried about the same thing when I get to the Reno Airport at the end of September.  There isn't any place else besides the airport to rent a car that is open reasonable hours.  The rental lot isn't in the airport, but the rental counter is.

Off airport rental places aren't open very often or they charge a lot more than the airport rental places.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »
I'm worried about the same thing when I get to the Reno Airport at the end of September.  There isn't any place else besides the airport to rent a car that is open reasonable hours.  The rental lot isn't in the airport, but the rental counter is.

Off airport rental places aren't open very often or they charge a lot more than the airport rental places.

Brian your bus was under 12' when you bought it! I don't have a clue how tall yer roof air(s) are but I don't think you'll have problem! Beside haven't ya heard of parking nearby (at a hotel or any place for that matter) and using the free airport shuttles?
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

belfert

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:29 PM »
[Brian your bus was under 12' when you bought it! I don't have a clue how tall yer roof air(s) are but I don't think you'll have problem! Beside haven't ya heard of parking nearby (at a hotel or any place for that matter) and using the free airport shuttles?
;D  BK  ;D

I haven't measured, but I would guess I am right around 13 feet now.  13 feet is pretty tall for most airports except for deliveries.

We really want to get a rental car and go without hassles of finding a shuttle to the airport.  As it is we're already spending an extra 2 hours to drive into Reno to pick up a rental car.  Towing a car isn't an option because we have another trailer to tow already. 

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »
Wow-that's pretty weird having that happen in California.  New York or Chicago I'd expect it.  But considering that California has a 14'0" height, someone wasn't thinking.  Glad to see that you were thinking though and didn't end up like a sardine can.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
Hey Jim, whatever you do, if you're driving up University avenue just north of Park Blvd, GET IN THE LEFT!!!  There's an old (very arched) bridge that I swear is only 8-10 feet high in the edge of the right lane.  I don't even drive a truck on that side! It's arched enough that the left lane is fine for anything.
 Yes, there's a few of them in San Diego... although truthfully I never thought of driving my bus to the airport... I'd be worried that they'd think it was something they didn't want on the property, and be much less than friendly about it !!  You're brave!!
Cheers
Gary
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:53 PM »
Man, that's scary, Jim.  I was cringing when I clicked on that headline...wasn't sure whether I wanted to know the rest of the story!  Glad you didn't abreviate your bus...
Dennis 
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »
because someone asked or commented:  when we've needed to rent, we've found Enterprise to be reasonable, cooperative and they pick us up.  last couple times, they've been less than avis or hertz.  the important is that they pick you up.

allow plenty of time, they're slower than molasses in january.

thank goodness you saw the sign and overhang in time, Jim.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline H3Jim

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:20 AM »
Gary,

Yes I know that bridge, and it is very arched.  I have no interest in driving my bus there on University, but  you never know where I'll end up.  I have a ways to go to be nearly as adventurous as Sean, but I do like to use the bus whenever I can.

The airport has chains dangling down that set off lights and a orn if you touch them with the top of yoru vehicle.  Its embarrassing to confess that without that, I might have tried to go forward closer to the bridge.  My passengers were goading me to go on.  But after this experience, I am more chasened, and I realize more definetly that no matter what, you can always stop, and there is a way to deal with it, and no matter how much pressure you feel to go on, its still better and cheaper to back up or turn around.   Sounds obvious, and like a no brainer, but in the moment, its not as clear.

oh well confession is over.
Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »
Jim,

I am about 12' 8"-10".

My future plans are to put one of Petes level systems on and I COULD dump the air out to crawl under something that was really close.

I just can't convince Julie to look out the roof hatch to verify I will make it...LOL

We have been under a few 13' bridges and I just yell "DUCK"

All kidding aside, being able to dump the air would be a great option to have.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline H3Jim

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:59:10 AM »
that's a really good idea, beter than letting the air out of your tires. 

The only thing that is stopping me from getting Pete's system is I'd sure like it if he had valves with the permanent magnet at each end of the throw.  That way they would stay open or closed wthough any power requirement.  Kind of like a latching relay. I like his first system without the gauges better.
Jim Stewart

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
My passengers were goading me to go on.  But after this experience, I am more chasened, and I realize more definetly that no matter what, you can always stop, and there is a way to deal with it, and no matter how much pressure you feel to go on, its still better and cheaper to bvack up or turn around.   

Ok, I have a little story about that.  I won't bore you with details, but I was hauling my singing group around in my 4107 and we were in the hills of North Alabama.  Went to eat breakfast on a winding little dirt road.  I didn't want to park in the drive way, but the guys were GOADING me with "if you can't make it in there, we need a new driver..."  Well I made it, but I was soaking wet with sweat.

Then as we left, I said, I don't think I can make that turn at the bottom of the driveway...

AW SURE YOU CAN!  YOU CAN MAKE IT, GO FOR IT...

Of course I did, against my better judgement, and it's a good thing our hosts had a heavy duty tractor, or we'd have missed our next date.  I learned a valuable lesson that day.

LISTEN TO YOUR INNER VOICE!  You know you're bus better than anyone else.  I know I will from now on.
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 03:44:15 PM »
Pictures of an H3 on the FDR in Manhatten, where it absolutely did not belong, forbidden, go straight to jail....
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 03:45:02 PM »
another
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal