Author Topic: IT IS ALIVE!  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
IT IS ALIVE!
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »
Well, the good news is the motor started right up no problem at all!  So exciting!  The transmission works great .... goes into gear as it should!  Bad news is I can't get more than 1200 rpms out of the motor.  The check engine light is lit, but the only code in the computer is 319 --- real time clock lost power.  So, I'm going to be calling Cummins tomorrow and see if they have any ideas on how to find out why the computer is keeping the check engine light on, but not giving me any codes.

Man am I excited!  I can't believe it actually started up with no issues!  I've had it down to the end of my driveway and back a few times checking out how it works.  1st gear sure is low (walking speed)!  Now my wife wants to know where we are going this weekend!   ;D  I've had to remind her we are not quite ready yet for an outing!

Dreamscape

Re: IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:35:29 PM »
Brian that is sooooo coooool! Have you come down from the high yet? Great job on the tremdous effort. Now get that bus ready for the outing! Your wife told me to say that. ;)

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:04:44 PM »
Thanks Paul!  My wife, Hilary, was reading over my shoulder when I pulled up your reply. She just had to laugh!   :)

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:57:35 AM »
Hi Brian & Hilary,

Great Job, and I'm sure it has been lots of work to accomplish the repower..

Where are thoose pics you promised of the new engine and the Eaton??

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline superpickle

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:22:08 AM »
Well, the good news is the motor started right up no problem at all!  So exciting!  The transmission works great .... goes into gear as it should!  Bad news is I can't get more than 1200 rpms out of the motor.  The check engine light is lit, but the only code in the computer is 319 --- real time clock lost power.  So, I'm going to be calling Cummins tomorrow and see if they have any ideas on how to find out why the computer is keeping the check engine light on, but not giving me any codes.

Man am I excited!  I can't believe it actually started up with no issues! I've had it down to the end of my driveway and back a few times checking out how it works.  1st gear sure is low (walking speed)!  Now my wife wants to know where we are going this weekend!   ;D  I've had to remind her we are not quite ready yet for an outing!

I dont understand, Whats her problem with going down to the end of the driveway and back !  What does she want , ALL the way across the STREET ? :o
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:05:47 AM »

I dont understand, Whats her problem with going down to the end of the driveway and back !  What does she want , ALL the way across the STREET ? :o

Yeah, I tell ya, there is no way she is going to consider across the street as acceptable.  Maybe around the block .... ?  ;D

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
Ahh, good times, good times ;D

I kinda rushed it on our first real family road trip in my bus (From Louisville, MS to Nashville, TN the week of Thanksgiving).  It was a nightmare.  It all started when I was parked at a rest area between two truckers and my wife was furious with the noise.  Then, my three year old came down with strep throat our second day and I had to drive around Nashville looking for an emergency room.  Then it started snowing (like really hard) and the Packers lost...

Tried to salvage the trip and take my wife to the mall on November 26th, busiest shopping day of the year...who knew.  We parked 36 miles away from the entrance and made it halfway before the snow started falling so we decided to make our way back home to MS.

The cable on my starter was loose and I liked to never figured out why it wouldn't start (it was 28 degrees and falling).  The latch on my door broke and I had to use a strap to tie the door closed...I almost got frostbite on my toes and my wife vowed to never step foot inside a bus again (but she recently changed her mind after seeing what could be). 

But I'm sure yours will go a lot better. ::)

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

maria-n-skip

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »

Brian,
    Once you get the realtime clock power fixed hopefully it will be full steam ahead.

So close to being back on the thin ribbon again how can you stand it....

so "On the road again" the Willie and Brian theme song.

Congradulations

Skip

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »
Yeah Skip, I can hardly stand it ...!!!  Can't wait to hit the road and see how it responds.  The engine is real smooth and sounds great.  I don't have any missing on any cylinder.  It sure sounds different than the old 6v92 though!

I talked to Cummins today and they aren't sure what could be the problem without any "real" trouble codes to start working from.  They had me "recalibrate" the throttle pedal, but it didn't make any difference.  The engine responds perfectly to the throttle until 1200 and then it doesn't matter how much more you push down, it won't speed up any more.  BTW, it did not work like this before, so I know it should respond all the way up to 2100 without any load. 

So, looks like I'll have to have a tech come out and hookup with the "Insite" tool to figure out what is holding the engine to just 1200 rpms.  I think it will be some simple "protective" measure possibly as a result of having had no power for the past 4 months.  We'll see....

maria-n-skip

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 06:38:37 AM »
Brian,
   Here is a write up I found on the Cummins "Insite" engine control software.

Hope it Helps (constant battery power for it????)

Overview

In order to provide comprehensive and useful information pertaining to a wide range of operational events, the Engine Control Module (ECM) records and stores relevant data for future review.
In addition to the recording and storing of information, each operational event is ‘time stamped’ to enable more detailed and accurate analysis. Two different measures of time are available to the customer, either time using ECM cumulative hours, or date and ‘real’ time based on units of year, month, day of month, hour (24 hour base), minute and second. Real time values are provided by the Real Time Clock feature.
Operational events that are time stamped include diagnostic Trouble Codes (Fault Codes), Powertrain Torque history, Engine Torque history, Engine Protection Fault history, J1939 Control History, Audit Trail details, Information Log and Engine Data Files.
A battery backup module is available and strongly recommended, to maintain constant power to the Real Time Clock.  Should the battery back up module not be installed, a loss of power in excess of 5 seconds will cause a loss of Real Time Clock accuracy and result in the generation of a diagnostic fault code together with the illumination of a fault code warning lamp. The diagnostic fault code and warning lamp can only be reset through the use of the Cummins INSITE service tool.
It should be noted that, as the backup module is installed in the engine harness, if the harness is disconnected from the ECM for any reason and in excess of 5 seconds, the Real Time Clock will experience a power loss and the appropriate diagnostic fault code will be generated. Once again, the fault code and warning lamp can only be reset using the relevant service tool. 

Feature/Parameter Setup

The Real Time Clock feature is activated through the application of Cummins INSITE service tool or Cummins INSPEC fleet management tool. Once activated, the Real Time Clock cannot be disabled and ECM cumulative hours are no longer available.
It is strongly recommended that the Real Time Clock feature only be activated when the associated battery backup module has been installed. This module ensures a constant power supply to the real time clock and reduces the chances of the clock losing accuracy.
It should be noted that, as the backup module is installed in the engine harness, if the harness is disconnected from the ECM for any reason and in excess of 5 seconds, the Real Time Clock will recognize the power loss and generate the appropriate diagnostic fault code. Resetting of the code and warning lamp once again requires the application of the relevant service tool.
By accessing the Real Time Clock screen in the ‘Adjustments’ section of the INSITE service tool, the Real Time Clock feature can be initially enabled and the date and time set manually in units of year, month, day of month, hour (24 hour base), minute and second.
The date and time can also be automatically set. In this case, each time the INSITE service tool is applied, it uses the current PC time and date to check and update the Real Time Clock. It is therefore essential that the PC date and time values are correct before applying the tool.
Should the battery back up module not be installed, a loss of power in excess of 5 seconds will cause a loss of Real Time Clock accuracy and result in the generation of a diagnostic fault code and illumination of the fault code warning lamp. The diagnostic fault code and warning lamp can only be reset through the use of the Cummins INSITE service tool. 

Theory of Operation

There is no Theory of Operation text associated with this feature description. 

Driver Technique

There is no Driver Technique text associated with this feature description. 

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:40:55 AM »
I tentatively have a mobil tech coming out this afternoon if they can get me in the schedule ....

maria-n-skip

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:04:58 AM »
Brian,

A couple of thoughts

1. See if the tech can disable the real time clock function until you get everything set the way you want it.
    2. download Cummins Powerspec (it's free) and purchase the DLA (computer to ECU hook up)
    3. get 2 ecu settings file (one for flat land and one for when you are going to run in the mountains)1 max MPG and 1 max or close
        performace

FWIW

Skip