Poll

Questions are in the options, check as many as apply.

I travel with a firearm
I do not travel with a firearm
I have a concealed carry permit
My spouse has a concealed carry permit
Revolver
Semi-auto
Shotgun
Rifle
I do not wish to answer

Author Topic: Traveling with a firearm  (Read 5402 times)

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
Traveling with a firearm
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »
I am a second amendment supporter and I was just wondering how many exercise their second amendment rights while on the road. I realize that some will not want to answer for certain reasons, and that's OK.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline BusCrazyTom

Re: Traveling with a firearm
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:22:33 PM »
While I don't yet have a bus, I do carry a .45cal S&W. I don't have it concealed, rather I keep it in plain view where everyone can see not to mess with me. Going to get a 12 ga. shotgun to carrry when I buy the bus.

Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:47:17 AM »
Sorry don't travel with a firearm, don't like guns. Had enough shooting them when I was in the Army during the Viet Nam War. It's OK for others who feel the need for them, I just don't.

Paul

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:14:11 AM »
we also carry a pepper type spray close by in case someone tries to get in.  we don't keep a gun handy and loaded by the door when we're driving and stop lights seem to have cuased problems for others.

just something non deadly to deter would be hijackers or persistent hitchhikers at stop lights.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Dallas

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 04:30:55 AM »
My personal preference is to carry weapons, however, I can also respect those that do not do so.

Carrying is a big responsibility that many don't wish to take on for one reason or another.

I haven't shot another person since 07-Jun-74 and personally hope that I will never have to do so again. It isn't a pleasant experience and I live with it every night and every day.

There are many other methods of self protection available besides firearms, I use to carry a Verey (Very) pistol that fired some really nasty flares about as nasty as white phosphorus. Cheap, short range, and large caliber. Not a weapon to fire within the confines of a bus, but amazingly effective when walking.

This is another "do it your way" topic, best left up to individual preference and education.

Dallas

cody

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:52:37 AM »
Before I retired from law enforcement, carrying was a condition of employment as we were concidered on duty even when off duty.  I still maintain a carry permit but now only rarely have a weapon available, tho at times I do.  I find very little need for it as far as self protection is concerned but do like to spent time on the range now and then and enjoy trap shooting.  Most people, tend to want to give me money or things rather than steal from me, not sure why but it might be the monkey with the cup or the organ ginder that leads them in that direction.

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 04:58:46 AM »
I am a 2nd amendment supporter as well but have found out the "powers that be"  cause me more problems if I carry a firearm then I want to deal with. Virginia has the EXILE program which means if I carry a legal Maryland handgun into their state they prosecute me in federal court & put me in federal prison.

While I have no qualms over shooting an intruder, I prefer not to go to prison for it. Therefore I am like Dallas on this, I carry several flare pistols ( they are hard to reload in a hurry). And, while I also prefer not to lose the bus, if I wake up & find you standing in my hallway, the firemen will recover your body after they extinguish my bus.

Slow Rider, I am trying to tell you what I think.......  ;D ;D ;D ;D
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Slow Rider

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 10:33:12 AM »
Not having the bus to drive  yet, ( even though Cat has already driven it :) ) I am not qualified to answer this from experience but only from what I believe. 

It is a complicated and highly emotionally charged decision whether or not to carry a firearm.  I am an NRA instructor and work at a gun store.  I teach a Basic Pistol class to qualify for the Virgina CCH.  One of the things we stress in class is the mindset involved and possible results of carrying/using a firearm for self defense. 

Another issue we discuss is legality.  YOU must know the laws.  Should you decided to carry , research where you are going and understand if and when you may carry.  Also, if you carry, make sure you can hit what you shoot at.  Get some training and some range time.  You are responsible for every bullet you let loose.

If you choose not to carry there are many other methods and items to use for self defense.  Again it is a personal decision.

As a wise man once said " The best way to win a fight.........is to not have to fight."   

The final answer to this long winded dialog  is that I will use any available means to defend my family's life.

Tom...    Thanks you know how easy I am confused  :)

Frank
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 11:00:24 AM »
One thing to remember is while you may be legal in your state, traveling in another state may be another matter.  The argument that the bus is your home may not hold water while you are traveling.  You will be held responsible for knowing the law.  Even with a permit - avoidance is the best weapon.

Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 12:24:07 PM »
You guys are 1000% right when you say avoid the fight if possible. That is always my first course of action. Not only do I try to avoid the fight, I try to avoid where a fight might be! I have been a innocent bystander twice & didn't like either experience.

That being said, if I have to fight to protect my family or property, my rules are:

1. Strike first!
2. Strike hard!
3. Show no mercy!
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
Think of all the statements in this thread, also if you do go to the Delaware rally from out of state, I have mentioned twice now to be sure not to have an unregistered gun.  Now I kow your belief's are all on the 2nd. ammendment, but these states that prosecute have been tested before and the defendents are still in jail.  The Flair gun intrigues me but as stated very dangerous to you, bus etc. 

It is all your choice, the nothern LAW boys do not fool around with this issue no matter what state you come from.  If it is registered and you have a permit, god bless you and also good for you. This is the way to go.  Consider this in the future if you can come up with a ledgit reason that satisfies having a loaded or any kind of gun on board.  The legal way is the best for all, my opinion now, my butt just could just not take the pounding expected from going to prison!!!  Also, remember the license plate on your rig is a dead give-away from where you are from, and they know most true southern state residents love to have their guns with them.  Your choice.

Travel safe to Delaware this week now, look me up if you come as I want to meet you all.
Gary
Gary

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 02:29:58 PM »
Hi Guys,

I carry a short, but legal, 12 gauge pump with me.  Wouldn't ever want to use it, but would if I had to.  Only took it out once, heard something in the middle of the night that sounded like a bay door being open.   It wasn't a bay door, something else in the area.  Put the shotgun away and went back to bed.

I support the 2nd Amendment.

Bill
Still in Phoenix for a few more days..... ;D
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »
Technically, I think I'd have to answer the survey "Not sure".   I am not a gun owner, but ....

When I purchased my bus and went to pick it up, the previous owner mentioned he used to keep a small caliber hand gun hidden in it.  He also stated he hadn't seen the gun for a few years and didn't think it was in the bus any more. He was just letting me know I should keep an eye out for it though.

His comment kinda freaked me out, since I travel with younger kids on board. However, in seven years I have pretty much crawled all over this rig and feel I have a pretty good handle on all the possible hiding spots (and there are lots of them).  If there was something hidden, you would have to rip out a wall or something to find it.   I am certain the previous owner removed it, but hmmmmm.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

maria-n-skip

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 04:29:06 PM »
I can understand why one would carry a gun. I was always taught be careful of what you bring to an engagement
for it can be used against you. I have had a loaded, cocked gun stuck in my face and was very surprised with my reaction.
 The anger was almost uncontrollable. Each person must make their own decision when the time comes for flight,fight or
 persuasion. There usually is one brief moment where you just know what you have to do. Yes one cannot avoid getting
 hurt in some cases no matter what the choice was. It goes with the territory.

Be safe
  Be cognisant of your surroundings.

And no matter what never doubt yourself.

FWIW
 Skip

Ncbob

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 07:36:40 PM »
My military training cautioned me to "never shoot at an inside wall" because one never knows who or what is in the other side.  My handgun of preference, for home protection, would be a .38 revolver.  Simply for the reason that I can load 1 or 2 rounds of rat ("snake") shot up front for interior shot(s) and have my hollow point loads...if they're needed.

I have a CCW Permit in the State of NC (second issue) which is honored in all the States in which I travel.
I do not look or ask for trouble but will stand and defend. What I carry is a Glock .40 simply because when and if I have to shoot....I don't want to see a survivor.

"As a wise man once said " The best way to win a fight.........is to not have to fight.",  according to Slow Rider... and I don't disagree with his premise.  But in today's world if there is to be a confrontation which involves the safety and well being of me or mine...I will stand firm...I will shoot straight...and we will survive.

My Fathers' generation won WWII.  I AM my fathers' son..........

Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal